Share |
Ignorance, Stupidity & Confusion

Author

07-13-2017, 11:08 AM

Hello Everyone,

I received an e-mail from a man that is very angry with me for having written the article: "Do You Still Think Weight Training is Wrong?"

He wrote saying that the way the article was written made him feel as though I was saying that everyone that trains with weights is ignorant and stupid. This is how he worded it in his email, "I'll I admit that I have had lots of injuries over the years and in just a few weeks I am having shoulder replacement surgery. But you need to come down off your high horse because your article makes me ( and I am sure lots of other people) feel like I brought all the pain and injury on myself because of my own ignorance and stupidity."

First off, I had no intention of making anyone feel ignorant or stupid...NOT EVEN REMOTELY.

Here is the article: http://transformetrics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17210

But since he brought it up lets look at the words ignorance and stupidity in the relation to what people are being taught about exercise. I'll make it very brief.

Ignorance: can be defined in this instance as doing something without having any idea of the negative consequences that could be attached to whatever action it is you are doing. In other words, you simply do not know. In one way or another we have all been there. For example, I ran long distance of 10 miles or more on a daily basis for more than a decade and also ran both marathons and ultra marathons having no idea of the harm I was doing to body or even my hormone balance at the time. Why was that the case? Because I bought into the propaganda about the benefits of running and never gave a thought to the down side. Why was that the case? Because I believed Runner's World and the pro running propaganda it presented. In my case I was ignorant to a point because I read only pro running propaganda. Then in 1984 Jim Fixx the author of 'The Complete Book of Running' died of a coronary while out on a daily and it was then that I began investigating the downside of distance running. I went from ignorant to informed.

Stupidity: in some cases can be defined as being totally aware of the negative consequences of an action but going ahead and doing it anyway. In my case as mentioned above, I became totally aware that distance running did not have anywhere near the benefits ascribed to it in Runner's World but I kept running in spite of it until 1987 when a friend of mine died on his early morning run. At that point, I realized that this it was stupid to continue running 10 or more miles daily (some days many more) and that it was in no way enhancing my physique or protecting me from heart disease. I gave up long distance running. I still ran but most of my runs were 3 to 5 miles. Now days I train Intervals. For me to have kept running 10 or more miles daily and knowing what I knew would have been the height of stupidity.

There is however another word that was not used in the man's e-mail that may fit what has actually happened to him and the vast majority of other men that have taken up training only to become disillusioned. That word is "confusion".

Confusion: is neither 'ignorance' or 'stupidity' but it is what happens when we buy into a certain paradigm with the best of intentions and after devoting ourselves to it we discover that the promised results were/are not forthcoming and in some cases the exact opposite has happened. In other words, our own personal experience tells us that whatever it is "ain't workin'" and it is then that we become totally disillusioned and confused. It is when we work through confusion that we attain wisdom.

Bottom line: I think most of us in one way or another have been ignorant, stupid & confused at some point. The good news is that we can also become very wise as a result of having experienced and worked through 'ignorance', 'stupidity' and 'confusion'.

---John Peterson

Share |

07-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Long distance running. My brother, one year younger than me did it for years, and now has a bad limp from a ruined hip.

Heavy lifting. I know several guys who have ruined their shoulders and knees from this abuse, over the years. They thought they were doing a good thing, too! "Runner's World" was the YIN to the YANG of "Iron Man". But, back then, we thought we only had ONE of two choices!

Back in grade school, we did pushups and sit ups. We played dodge ball, and just ran around with our friends, doing all kinds of physical things, on the spur of the moment. We climbed trees and ropes, and took long hikes along forest trails.

Without all the "information" from those magazines, we would have been FINE! They sent us all down wrong paths. TMI, but it was Too Much Fake Information!

Share |

Author

07-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Hey Jaymo,

I like that. Too Much Fake Information (TMFI).

Its hitting us from all sides.

---John Peterson

Share |

07-15-2017, 03:49 AM

At least this place is a safe heaven from fake news and the information given is from a lifetimes worth of experience.

I'm kicking myself that I brought into what all the bodybuilding magazines told me as a young man.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-16-2017, 12:18 PM

Dynamite,
Don't beat yourself up for buying into what the bodybuilding magazines told you as a young man. Hell I had a subscription to "Muscle and Fitness" until I was 50 something and met up with John.
The magazines are a great product. Good pictures, inspiring stories, manly topics. For the most part I don't think that the editors think that they are peddling garbage. They don't know any better.

Tim

Share |

07-16-2017, 01:21 PM

I owned a weight set as a teen and lifted weights at School; but stopped and used just my Synder Isometric Exerciser and Calisthenics. Bruce Lee injured himself doing the "Good Morning Exercise" and many injured themselves with weights. I still preferr Isometrics, Isometric Powerflexing and Calisthenics.

Last edited by MikeNY; 07-16-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Edit

Share |

Author

07-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Hey Friends,

I have learned that it certainly is possible for a man to train with weights and remain injury free. No doubt about that! But if he does, He will be training like we train. In other words with HIS MIND and NOT JUST HIS MUSCLES.

Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Please read it carefully. It is a response from Dominick a forum member.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson
Hello Dominick,

My friend it was great to see you posting. Please post a little more information on Harry Pearl and the the amounts of weight he typically used.

Thanks,

---John Peterson

Quote:
Hi,
Sorry about the lag time to answering this, John. I often visit the forum, but without logging in, so I hadn't seen this in my INBOX until just now.

Harry Pearl would train at brother Bill Pearl's Gym in Pasadena. I was 19, and Harry must have been 54 or 55 -- Methuselah to this young kid I was then, ha!

You ask about the amount of weight he used to train. While other bodybuilders in the gym were hoisting big weights on big lifts, Harry would workout alone in a corner with dumbbells. Slowly moving what others ridiculed as light weights -- though not to his face, as Harry was pretty badass and looked like he could take even the biggest guys there and eat their lunch, ha! I remember his working with a 20 or 25lb dumbbell on regular curls. But SLOWLY and for many, many reps. Every muscle was sinewy and "popped", much as you described your uncles' when they'd do isometrics.

It is clear to me now -- especially give what I've learned on the Transformetric Forum, PYTP and the Old School training books you and other members link to -- that what I was seeing was his total focus, "thinking into the muscles" and absolutely NO MOMENTUM in any of his lifts. They may have laughed at the weight numbers, but they didn't laugh at his results. Feral, as I've described him before. He was a fan of the white Levi's and black t-shirts I've seen in your various photos -- and interesting, he was about the same age as you were when PYTP came out -- and he look like a panther.

I also remember seeing him doing dumbbell bench presses and incline DB presses with about 50lbs on each side, along with 25 lb dumbbell flyes. Again, slow, methodical, total focus. Breath control and pretty much deep in his own meditative state. Such a contrast with many of the other "lifters" who were just hoisting heavy weights and throwing it around with momentum just to have bragging rights to the question, "So, how much can you bench?"

He had a strong presence, and he was popular with the young guys, who looked to him as a role model of baddass, and it made an impression on me how many 20 and 30 something young women genuinely had the hots for this 54 or 55 year old guy. There was something very Charles Bronson (the actor) about him, too. That same kind of sinewy physique. Because he was Native American he had a coppery dark skin that only enhanced this similarity.

I remember him saying something to my brother, probably similar to Jowett's precepts: "Doesn't matter the weight. It's what you bring to it."

Hope that answers the questions - about a year later, but there you go, ha!

Dominick

Whether you are training with a Laser like Focus using Iso-Dynamic Exercises that incorporate Strength Calisthenics, DVR, DSR, & Isometrics or whether you train with light weights as Harry Pearl did with total focus and absolutely no momentum your results will be the same. It is the intensity of the muscular contraction itself and the focus brought to it that make all the difference and when do you are performing protective exercise.

Conversely, if you are using momentum and throwing the weights as you weight train or 'kipping' and using momentum with your own body weight as the extreme fitness cult promotes, you're an idiot and you WILL be injured. It's just a matter of when.

---John Peterson

Share |

07-16-2017, 08:40 PM

To me the most impressive thing for guys my age [late 70s] is the mental strength that it develops which becomes more and more important as you age. Don't forget that all of this energy does not stay within the body,but projects out and adds a uniqueness and individuality too your personality and your aura.

“Your brain sends out energy in the form of brain waves. And this energy is power which can effect another person or an object”

Napoleon Hill & W. Clement Stone
“Success Through A Positive Mental Attitude”

Last edited by Andy62; 07-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Share |

Author

07-17-2017, 09:12 AM

Excellent Point Gordon!

Iso-Dynamic exercise concentrates Nerve/Life Force and projects it inward. It does not deplete it by projecting it outward.

---John Peterson

Share |

07-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Early weight lifting used Isometric Dynamic Tension, over 40-45 years ago I read about the early weight lifters and how they used light dumbbells and barbells with internal tension. Some of the early photos clearly show how light, and they got great results using DVR. Internal resistance was the key then and modern lifters use heavy weights and drugs.

Share |