Share |
Socrates Practiced Living Strength

Author

09-21-2017, 06:02 PM

Hello Friends,

I am convinced that based on writings of Xenophon that Socrates would have practiced Living Strength if he were here with us today.

First, some of you are wondering, "Who was Xenophon?"

ANSWER:
Xenophon was a Greek philosopher, soldier, historian, memoirist, and the author of numerous practical treatises on subjects ranging from horsemanship to taxation. While best known in the contemporary philosophical world as the author of a series of sketches of Socrates in conversation, known by their Latin title Memorabilia, Xenophon also wrote a Symposium and an Apology which present a set of vivid and intriguing portraits of Socrates and display some sharp contrasts to the better known portraits in the works of Xenophon’s contemporary, Plato. In one of Xenophon's light-hearted reports of life in ancient Athens circa 400 BC., as found in Symposium II Socrates was asked the secret of his vitality. His answer was that he danced every morning.

Quote:
"This raised a general laugh; but Socrates, with a perfectly grave expression on his face, said: “You are laughing at me, are you? Is it because I want to exercise to better my health? Or because I want to take more pleasure in my food and sleep? Or is it because I am eager for such exercises as these, not like the long-distance runners, who develop their legs at the expense of their shoulders, nor like the prize fighters, who develop their shoulders but become thin-legged, but rather with a view to giving my body a symmetrical development by exercising it in every part? Or are you laughing because I shall not need to hunt up a partner to exercise with, or to strip, old as I am, in a crowd, but shall find a moderate-sized room large enough for me (just as this room was large enough for the lad here to get up a sweat in), and because in winter I shall exercise under cover, and when it is very hot, in the shade? Don’t you know that just the other day Charmides here caught me dancing early in the morning?”

“Indeed I did,” said Charmides, “and at first I was dumbfounded and feared that you were going stark mad; but when I heard you say much the same thing as you did just now, I myself went home, and although I did not dance, for I had never learned how, I practiced shadow-boxing, for I knew how to do that.”

Bottom Line: the kind of 'dance' Socrates practiced was called 'kallos' meaning beauty and 'sthenos' meaning strength in order to keep his body symmetrically developed 24/7/365. Socrates would have loved the Living Strength Training System.

---John Peterson

P.S. You guys never know what You will learn at the Transformetrics forum...I love to keep you guessing.

Share |

09-21-2017, 07:10 PM

Great stuff John, keep it coming.

Jon

Share |

09-22-2017, 01:20 PM

I studied Ancient Greek philosophy in college and did not know that, John! Wonderful piece of knowledge for the day!

Share |