Share |
Push-Ups for Physique?

Author

10-10-2017, 09:28 PM

Hello Everyone,

Been asked which variation of push-ups builds the best physique.

My vote is Atlas III. Performed properly as Roy Scheider did in Marathon Man it is evident that every muscle in the entire body is activated to some extent either isometrically or Isotonically.

What do the rest of you think?

Check this out: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...7E&FORM=VRDGAR

---John Peterson

Share |

10-11-2017, 08:52 AM

I always do Atlas III push-ups. If I do others, it is always in addition to them.

Share |

Author

10-11-2017, 12:42 PM

Hello Scara7,

My friend Doc Moore wrote me the following:

Quote:
Yes, I'm familiar with A3 (extended range). I stay with declines to protect my shoulder capsule.

I never saw the movie, but I like Scheider's lean look. Some of the muscle heads/gym rats would say he's too lean.

Note: Scheider's elbows are too flared. Corkscrew the hands/arms. Elbows need to stay tight...

Great clip...

Personally, I never really think about elbow placement. I have my own best angle that feels best for me. My freehand sets of Atlas III's are from 52 to 77 reps.

---John Peterson

Share |

Author

10-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Hey Everyone,

Just got this from Doc Moore and he makes a few points.

Quoting me: "Personally, I never really think about elbow placement. I have my own best angle that feels best for me. My freehand sets of Atlas III's are from 52 to 77 reps."

Doc Moore's response to what I wrote: "I know guys that had there "own best angle" for years. Until they shredded the bicipital tendon."

Doc Moore: "You might add that to your comment."

John Peterson: I just did.

And this:

"Slow and controlled. Movement quality primarily. Not just sets and reps. When I lose proper form -- I stop."

Doc, I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean.

I don't for a moment believe that with differences in somatotype, including shoulder width, limb length(upper arm to lower arm) and weight distribution that there is an ideal placement for hands or elbows that matches up with everyone across the board.

I do agree with the statement, ""Slow and controlled. Movement quality primarily. Not just sets and reps. When I lose proper form -- I stop." That is exactly what I do when using a weight vest which is what I do over 90% of the time. I very rarely do freehand anything and when I do I am always moving at a fast clip.

In fact, Jack King once told me that it was after watching "Marathon Man" and Roy Scheider's Push-Ups that he decided to give it a try. Personally, I thought Scheider's Push-Ups were flawless but to each his own.

---John Peterson

P.S. Just because Doc and I are friends does not me that we agree on everything all the time...though most of the time we do.

Share |