Share |
A Question on Alois P Swoboda

Author

05-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

It seems that the subject of Alois P Swoboda draws a lot of attention whenever he is mentioned.

Example: I have been asked about why it is that he is not as widely known as some of the other greats of Physical Culture history.

Answer: More than anything I think Swoboda's arrogance and belief in himself, his methods and his own intellect, brought about a feeling of contempt directed toward him from a large number of people. Swoboda was not above letting others know that he thought they were absolute idiots and morons for not automatically accepting and embracing his methodology of training. In other words, Swoboda basically told everyone, "There is my way and the wrong way." Bottom line: Swoboda could have been much friendlier, magnanimous and accepting of other views and methods but he wasn't. He was antagonistic. In a real sense he was his own worst enemy.

Now, were his methods actually better and superior? For intelligent individuals who had the intellectual capacity to grasp what he was teaching I would say yes. But his methods were very difficult for some people to understand and apply. Especially if they did not trust their own intellect and wanted someone else to direct what they were doing. For example: It was a whole lot easier for most people to understand Sandow's light dumb bell training than it was to actuate Swoboda's Mind/Muscle methods. Nonetheless, in his day Swoboda had a large number of people following Swobodism. Even Charles Atlas was an early disciple if what was written in "The Peaople's Almanac of the 20th Century" is to be believed.

---John Peterson

Share |

05-10-2018, 05:29 PM

To get the full benefit of Swoboda's training you have to be able to deal with intangibles and nonphysical concepts. You have to develop the ability to visualize and use your imagination.

“The goals that our own creative mechanism seeks to achieve are mental images or mental pictures, which we create by use of imagination..............
Experimental and clinical psychology have proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that the human nervous system cannot tell the difference between an “actual”experience and an experience imagined vividly and in detail.”

Maxwell Maltz, M.D.
“Psychocybernetics”

Share |