Share |
Training for the Martial Arts

Legacy Member

05-14-2018, 04:50 AM

Hi All

Wanted to ask you John (as well as any others here with a martial arts background):

I have recently been lacking in motivation to train - have been for months now, so to give me something to train for I have signed up for a big martial arts event at the end of September.

As soon as I did that my motivation has skyrocketed and I feel I have a reason to train. Not only that but I have decided that after the event i am going to open up my own Kenpo club again.

For the past few years I have just training for athetics and health/fitness (on and off), but now my main focus is going to be for Martial Arts fitness, strength and power.

I was wondering if anyone here have trained for similar a thing? I know in the past John has mentioned that he used to teach martial arts - I was wondering if your physical training was any different then to what it is now (or when you weren't teaching)?

I was thinking of daily isometrics, daily Miracle 7 and then perhaps then a full body bodyweight workout 3 times a week. Cardio coming from bag work and Kenpo Forms. I could even do my forms slowly with tension added.

I also have about 12 - 15 lbs of fat I want to lose, but I think that will come as a result of training anyway.

Any thoughts, ideas and insights welcome.

- Kenpopaul

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

05-14-2018, 08:07 AM

Paul,

I don't have a Martial Arts background so I can't give any insights to that but what I can tell you is how certain athletes I know who trained for their art and have had success with it. The main thing is to keep motivated and make it work for you. That is incredible that you're going to do a fight, I hope you do well. Stick to the basics, work on your conditioning as best as possible. When you train isometrics, add in isos for your art like iso kicks, punches, counters and techniques, the more you practice the art, the more everything falls into play. The training outside of that is supplementation as you are aware. Get as many sparring partners as you can to take on stamina and program your mind as if it was a chess match.

One of the athletes I know of is Mike The Machine Bruce, a performing strongman, former Marine and former submission fighter who has known to have the world's strongest neck. His training consisted mainly of focusing on the art, specific exercises to aid in his style and put in a great deal of time on conditioning. Karl Gotch once said "conditioning is your greatest hold."

Share |

Author

05-14-2018, 09:34 AM

Hello Kenpopaul,

My proficiency in Martial Arts has always been a powerful motivator for me to stay in fighting shape. I train in my own Martial Arts System daily.

Recommendation: Always perform the Seven Tiger Moves. They represent a foundation for lifelong Strength and Fitness as I present in Living Strength. On days that you have the time and inclination you can expand it to my full 12 exercise sequence from the original 7 and perform 3 circuits of 15 to 20 reps each.

When I release my Isometric Power Belt , I am quite certain that Martial Artists the world over will see the logic and common sense behind it and it will become extremely popular.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

05-14-2018, 09:47 AM

So from my experience and background this question has continually come up in all the academies I have trained at. ( Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) people want to know what to do to get ready to train Jiu-Jitsu. The advise I have heard coming up through the ranks never changes and from my experience it has proven to be true.

If your interest is Jiu-Jitsu your physical training should be Jiu-Jitsu. That is it, you will develop and progress much faster than all of your contemporaries if you adopt that mindset.

Share |

05-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjj View Post
So from my experience and background this question has continually come up in all the academies I have trained at. ( Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) people want to know what to do to get ready to train Jiu-Jitsu. The advise I have heard coming up through the ranks never changes and from my experience it has proven to be true.

If your interest is Jiu-Jitsu your physical training should be Jiu-Jitsu. That is it, you will develop and progress much faster than all of your contemporaries if you adopt that mindset.
I agree. The bulk of your time should be spent on the art you are competing in. 15 minutes a day of the Charles Atlas perpetual lesson or the Tiger moves/isometrics will suffice for strength training.
All the best, Mike

Share |