Share |
John, How Many Push-Ups Do You Do?

Author

07-17-2018, 10:02 AM

Hello Everyone,

It seems that some people wonder if I have turned my back on 'dynamic' movement based exercises altogether,

The answer is NO.

Movement based exercises are essential for achieving a 'pump' into the muscle tissue.

I have also been asked how many Push-Ups I'm doing these days and the answer is that I total 100 to 120 reps in total. BUT I use a weight vest that allows me to increase the intensity in a dramatic way so that I have cut my reps way back.

My method of integrating Iso & Dynamic Exercises together is vastly superior to either method performed alone and is far better for me because I never feel drained or depleted with the exercises.

---John Peterson

Share |

07-17-2018, 05:59 PM

Great info!

Share |

07-18-2018, 01:53 PM

Just curious. How heavy is the vest?

Share |

Author

07-18-2018, 05:08 PM

Hello BT Turner,

It varies. I use between 20% (33 pounds) and 47% (77 pounds) of my body weight when performing standard Atlas Push-Ups.

With 77 pounds I'm doing sets of one to three focusing on slow precise reps.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 07-19-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Share |

07-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner View Post
Just curious. How heavy is the vest?
Do not copy John. He is a great role model,but he would be the first to tell you to be your own trainer. Experiment and do what is best for YOU!

Share |

Author

07-19-2018, 04:50 PM

Hey Michael,

That is excellent advice. Thank You.

Just to be clear. I have cut back on my total volume a great deal simply because I have increased the intensity while slowing down my tempo. A set of 12 reps requires 2+ minutes. Obviously, 12 reps with a 33 pound weight vest sounds ridiculously light but I will assure every man here that if he were to train with me that by the time he would get to 3 to 5 sets, that he too, would find it extremely challenging. I only do 4 to 5 sets morning and evening. 8 to 10 total sets is 96 to 120 reps but each rep is intense. It's quality over quantity. And by the way, if someone's desire is lose subcutaneous fat, that is where slow reps trumps fast reps every time.

NOTE: I realize that my tempo is definitely not Super Slow that requires 10 seconds up and 10 seconds down but it is much slower than the way I used to train and the emphasis is on maintaining dynamic tension in the muscles in both directions. I only recently started to do this with all of my dynamic exercises and the reason I can follow it is because I have mastered the 5-6-7 isometric Contraction protocol that amounts to a single 3-stage rep requiring between 18 and 21 seconds.

---John Peterson

P.S. I have great respect for anyone that can pull off the 10 second Super Slow in both directions protocol. if I were doing that my reps would be sets of 6 reps instead of 12. At some point I am going to see if it yields better results. One thing for certain the slower you go the more intense the exercise becomes.

Share |

07-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Thanks, You answered another question and that was about variation of weight of the vest. I've used 40 lbs. and seem to have hit a plateau, but varying 30 lbs. one to two weeks and 50 the next seems to have helped break the rut. Do you use much weight on the Atlas II or III? Thanks again, Bob

Share |

Author

07-21-2018, 03:40 PM

Hello bturner,

I think that there is something that needs to be addressed.

Friends don't be overly concerned about the amount of weight used in weight vest training.

For me personally, the amount of weight used in the vest is relevant only to 'reducing' the number of repetitions per set required to achieve a superior muscle sculpting workout. The goal is to achieve the best combination of both intensity and volume so that muscles are taxed to a reasonable level while also being infused with highly oxygenated blood. If the vest is too heavy it becomes counter productive to achieving a great 'pump' for daily training and for that reason I keep the vest training within the limits of daily training.

One other point. For me to train without a vest requires too much time but combining the vest with Isometric Power Belt training reduces my training time a great deal.

---John Peterson

Share |

07-21-2018, 04:55 PM

When the weight is too heavy " it shifts the "Concentration" from the ' muscle' to the 'weight'' as George F. Jowett cautioned.

Last edited by Andy62; 07-22-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Share |

Author

07-22-2018, 04:28 PM

Hello Gordon,

You wrote:

Quote:
When the weight is too heavy " it shifts the "Concentration" from the ' muscle' to the 'weight'' as George F. Jowett cautioned.

Thank You!!! That is a great and relevant insight.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 07-22-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Share |