Share |
Strength to Body Weight VS Raw Strength

Author

08-06-2018, 06:33 PM

Hello Everyone,

I received another e-mail from a very competitive ultra marathon runner for the third time about our Isometric methods and obviously what we are saying on our forum resonates with him and some other types of athletes.

So when exactly would Isometric strength development be of greater value to an athlete than developing and maximizing 'raw strength'.

Answer: Any time an athlete wants to remain as light as possible while becoming as strong as possible.

Example: Gymnastics: In gymnastics strength relative to body weight and not raw strength is needed. For a gymnast nothing is more desirable than a dramatic increase in strength while minimizing weight gains. This is not true in sports such as football, field events and similar sports where an athlete must move an object or an opponent. The young man or woman with heavily muscled legs and buttocks can never hope to become an outstanding gymnast and the same is also true in sports such wrestling and boxing in which there are specific weight classes that an athlete desires to stay within.

Now, considering what is stated above if you are an ultra long distance runner this is one time that developing protective strength with strong functional muscles would be advantageous and offer a distinct advantage as opposed to being a weak and skinny fat guy. There is one factor though that cannot be overlooked and that is that long distance running tears down the body structure faster than one's ability to recuperate and that is why some of the extreme distance runners look emaciated.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-06-2018, 09:58 PM

Great article.

https://www.5280.com/2016/03/the-dark-side-of-fitness/

Share |

Author

08-08-2018, 12:09 PM

Hello Gordon,

That is a fantastic article. I hope every forum member reads it and strives to live a balanced life.

Thanks for posting it.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-08-2018, 07:58 PM

My brother, who is younger than me (65) is scheduled for a hip replacement this Friday, is a poster child for long distance running abuse!

His marathon and tennis fixation has resulted in a body that can do nothing more any longer than to move around, painfully and slowly, like a 95 year old man...

I went the strength route, as opposed to his "long slow distance" which was so popular in the 70's.

While strength was not perfect, not at all, as Arnold and Joe Weider touted 'heavy weights' endlessly, still it was better than the incredibly misguided endurance sports nonsense!!

Bottom line? I am very fit, and vital! (thanks John Peterson)!, following a largely body-weight and not isometrically based approach. 66 and counting...

Real fitness and vitality is actually rather simple:

Avoid Wheat and other fake foods.

Eat natural, God made foods: pastured beef, dairy, poultry and seafood. And lots of veggies, blended up into a beverage is ideal!

And exercise naturally, with body weight, self resisted, and virtual resisted exercise, and adding in rebounding along with heavy-hand walking barefoot through the woods.

I know: rereading that, it sounds nuts. But it is true!

Share |

08-09-2018, 11:16 AM

There is a guy named Jay Schroader from EVOUltrafit here in Mesa AZ. He trains pro athletes using Isometric training. Its no joke and these athletes are seeing huge strength gains. He has done it for years and learned much of this stuff from eastern block countries.

He trained a women who ran across the US. She did up to 5 Minute wall sits with here heels elevated in preparing for her run.
He use to train our High School Football team and Basketball teams. Their bench/squat went up almost 100 pounds doing up to 5 min push up holds and other various isometric holds.

I have been doing wall sits, lunge holds and calf holds. Up to 2 minutes x 3 daily. I also use the belt every day doing dead lift and lunge holds. This has helped me stay injury free and able to run some a few days a week up to 5 miles. My legs are like steal and my legs are pretty thin but muscular.

Once I started using the belt consistently I saw more muscle and definition. I have run into people that have not seem me in a few months and they say I'm bigger and look great and younger. Turned 60 in June.

Looking forward to the new belt and directions as I will be doing more isometrics and less body weight stuff.

Monty

Share |

08-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Monty,

Can you explain what a calf hold is?

Thanks,

Jon

Share |

08-16-2018, 02:30 PM

I just get up on the ball of my foot and bend my knee a little and hold it for up to 3 minutes. This has helped my Achilles tendon immensely which have been problems for years.I do one foot then then other.
Monty

Share |

Author

08-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Hey Monty,

It's obvious that 'aerobic iso's' would also have wonderful therapeutic benefits as well as increased strength.

Thanks for posting the answer to Jon Clay's question.

---John Peterson

Share |