Share |
John, Do You Believe Bobby Pandour Developed...

Author

01-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Hey Friends,

I received a PM from a man that was reading about and viewing photos of Bobby Pandour on the Sandow Site. He asked me, "John, do you really believe that Bobby Pandour could have built his physique using only ten pound dumb bells?"

I told him I would answer this question on my forum. So here goes.

Answer: Absolutely NOT! Bobby Pandour's physique was solely the result of intense and deeply focused DVR/VRT muscular contractions. The five or ten pound dumb bells he used could never have produced his beautifully and perfectly developed physique no matter how many repetitions he would have performed. He used those light dumb bells only because he thought he could focus his muscular contractions with greater intensity as the result of using them. In other words, he was using them like a prop.

Consider; Alois P. Swoboda, a man that I greatly admire, and a man whom I believe, also had a superb physique. Swoboda could have made a ton of money selling light dumb bells but he refused to do so because he wanted his students to learn how to use their own minds to induce intense muscular contraction in order to develop a superior level of strength and fitness. In fact, Swoboda's methods became so popular that he had enemies that were actually printing and distributing literature claiming that direct methods of muscular contraction as Swoboda taught could become obsessive and cause insanity.

Bottom line: It was not five or ten pound dumb bells that developed the Pandour physique it was his ability to contract his muscles with great intensity that created his musculature.

---John Peterson

Share |

01-02-2010, 01:28 PM

John, I totally agree with you. Several years ago on another forum one of the Wylie Coyotes, the one who is the name dropper and the big hot air machine, said he could prove that Bobby Pandour lifted heavy weights so I challenged him to do it. As usual he couldn't back up his BS and was again a no show. Pandour had one to the best builds of all time. Gordon

Share |

01-02-2010, 02:21 PM

I found another picture of Bobby Pandour on the internet. The picture is good quality and accurately represents his musculature. It's a fig leaf shot so I was not sure I should post it. The amount of muscle mass and definition he posessed is impressive by today's standards. This despite the fact that there was no Hammer Strength, Met-Rx, Reebok and Nike. He was s gymnast so there is a good chance he did bodyweight exercises along with visualized resistance. I find him to be an excellent ideal to live up to. His physique was not only impressive, his strength was functional as well.

Share |

01-02-2010, 02:26 PM

My buddy works out at his Gym but is using ten pounds on the exercise machines, the lightest setting. His theory is that the machines keep him using perfect form. At first I thought his use of the VRT Course was a perversion but I've come to see that he is using the light weight to focus his muscular tension just like Bobby Pandour. He thinks the results using VRT/DVR are beyond what he was ever able to produce using weights in the GYM in years and is very happy. I give him credit, he thought I was insane talking about DVR/VRT but tried it and was honest enough to think it was a vast improvement.

I'd thought he liked that social scene at the Gym and he admits that but he likes the results from DVR/VRT.

Gordon that wylie coyote is a whale of a man

PatCNJ functional is a good thing.

Share |

01-02-2010, 02:43 PM

Eugen Sandow didn't get that musculature from the single lift heavy lifting that was the basis of weight lifting in his era. He was a great advocate of the in the power of the mind to develop the body and got his well defined physique from Isometric Power Flexing which he referred too as "flicking." The well built strongmen during the golden age of strength got their development from DVR/VRT, Isometrics and Isometric Power Flexing.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/S/streng...ength1a.htm#s4

Share |

Author

08-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Hello Mark135,

Once a man learns how contract and relax his muscles at will utilizing the mind/muscle connection as we teach and as was taught by Alois P. Swoboda it is unnecessary to use any weight at all for the purpose of muscular development. This was understood by many of the greats including Bobby Pandour, Tromp Van Diggelen, Alexander Zass, and even Eugene Sandow. In the training system that I teach we don't use or need weights. Sandow sold three pound spring loaded dumbells as a prop that he could make money from. No way did they build muscle. Read my response that started this thread to understand my training philosophy.

Now, let me address something else. Mark, you went back a full eight months to find this post. You brought it up to discuss weight training, something I don't teach or need. So here's the bottom line, if weight training is your thing you need to take it to another forum because we don't discuss it here. Don't bring up weight training at this forum.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

08-06-2010, 10:31 AM

I read an article about Pandour in the early nineties in Ironman. According to that article, the only resistance Pandour used was five pound dumbbells and daily carrying his brother piggyback up a flight of stairs. Supposedly, according to the article, Pandour was quite the ladies man, and would make it a habit of swooping his conquests into his arms and running up the stairs to the boudoir.

The article also commented on Pandour's lack of strength in demonstrating the heavy lifts of that time such as the bent press. The conclusion was that he was overtrained from all the muscle cramping and tension he did from using the 5 pound dumbbells.

However, I believe it more along the lines of you are what you practice. Pandour was strong at moving his body in gymnastics type movements. I am sure he was a strong individual, but not necessarily wired for doing the quick lifts and the other types of lifts practiced in that day, which required a great deal of coordination and natural leverage.

Greg Newton

Share |

08-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Not only did Bobby Pandour secure his development only with the use of DVR and Power Flexing exercises of the type that Alois P. Swoboda taught,but so did all of the other strongmen of his era who displayed exceptional muscularity. Those who lifted weights did not obtain muscularity from the momentary tension produced by the single lift methods used at that time. Otto Arco, Maxick, Tromp Van Diggelen, and Matysek not only developed their muscularity from tensing their muscles with DVR and Isometric Power Flexing,but published their own courses on the subject. Even those who promoted equipment sales admitted to it's effectiveness. George F. Jowett in his book " Unrevealed Secrets Of Man" writes, " The weight was never supposed to be the source of the tension upon the muscles. It is merely supposed to be a tool to focus your "concentration"upon the muscle.If anything, the development of the muscle was coming from the mental concentration upon powerfully flexing the muscle." Eugen Sandow in his book,"Strength And How To Obain it", says "It is the brain that develops the muscle---remember that whilst the effect of the weightlifting is to contract the muscles, the same effect is produced by merely contracting the muscles without the weightlifting."

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...ur/pandour.htm

Last edited by Andy62; 08-06-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Share |