Share |
Why are standard push-ups hurting my shoulders?

Legacy Member

08-20-2010, 07:24 PM

Hello everyone, I am having a real problem with standard military push-ups. Even after warming my shoulders up good, after doing military push-ups the next 2 days, my shoulders the front part of the delt is in constant pain, I am not even maxing out on my sets, and still my shoulders are hurting big time. the only push-ups right now that dont seem to bother me are the hindu push-ups, even the atlas 2 and 3 push-ups are bothering my shoulders, I would like to find a way to be able to do these push-ups without any pain, because I was really enjoying them before this problem came up, it has been bothering me for about 1 month, and also I dont lockout when doing these push-ups either, any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Share |

Legacy Member

08-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Hi Dyno,

Unfortunately, sometimes we have to step away from the things we love and do the things we can. I couldn't begin to tell what is going on with your shoulder. More than likely there is some sort of muscular imbalance going on. If the Tiger Stretch Pushups don't cause any problems, this is what I'd stick with for the time being. Sometimes these things sort themselves out with rest and sometimes it takes figuring out what auxilary exercises are rehabilitative.

Greg

Share |

08-21-2010, 12:13 AM

Dynagoalie30,

I had the same issues while back, be it the regular push up or atlas...the only push up that works for me now is the Tiger Push up, so that is all I stick to now a days.

Share |

Legacy Member

08-21-2010, 10:29 AM

I wanted to put some thought into this question. I have always doen some exercises for conditioning and strengthening, but some have been more for strengthening the joints by working on muscular imbalances.

I noticed when I first started doing the Atlas III's, I tended to have some stiffness in my shoulders. I made sure I incorporated three of the Atlas shoulder exercises into my workouts; resisting the elbow as you move it across the body, clasping the wrist and rowing the other arm back, and resisting the forearm as you rotate it across the front of the body. These exercises work the rotator cuffs as well as the other muscles of the shoulders.

Eventually, I started doing pullups again and the hanging seemed to help keep the shoulders flexible, so I stopped doing the Atlas exercises. Also the Swoboda exercise where you hold the arms out and reach skyward works well for shoulder rehab. Last, and this is what I currently do, I work the high reach from the Tiger Moves, BUT I do it more as a push up rather than a pulldown.

The point of what I am getting at, is that we are all different with limb lengths, tendon attachments, muscle densities etc. Add into that past injuries and wear and tear. Some exercises will affect us differently. I don't always use the Atlas shoulder exercises, but when I twinge my rotator cuff or have stiffness in the front deltoids, I incorporate them again. I think John's recent thread about working exercises from many different angles is good advice.

I hope this gives you some ideas for help.

Greg

Share |

08-22-2010, 12:02 AM

Wise words from Greg above. Here are some other suggestions:

If the pain is sharp, rest and ice are your friends. You may also want to see a sports doctor and/or massage therapist.

You could try very strict form pushups: hands under shoulders, elbow pits rotated forward, elbows tight into body, as demonstrated here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JroYJ6OQQVM

If that doesn't help, try different angles, raised feet, partials, elbows in/out, hand placement, etc.

You could also try bodyweight rows to correct any muscle imbalances. A low railing, a dining room table, an adjustable pullup bar, or a set of gymnastic rings will be required to do this exercise. I'm a big fan of the bodyweight row, which is basically a pull-up but in a different plane of motion and with less than 100% bodyweight.

DVRs can also be wonderfully healing for shoulders. Try the high reach, but also other DVRs and DSRs at low to medium tension at first, throughout various ranges of motion for a few weeks or months before trying standard pushups again.

Last edited by duff; 08-22-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Share |

08-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynogoalie30 View Post
Hello everyone, I am having a real problem with standard military push-ups. Even after warming my shoulders up good, after doing military push-ups the next 2 days, my shoulders the front part of the delt is in constant pain, I am not even maxing out on my sets, and still my shoulders are hurting big time. the only push-ups right now that dont seem to bother me are the hindu push-ups, even the atlas 2 and 3 push-ups are bothering my shoulders, I would like to find a way to be able to do these push-ups without any pain, because I was really enjoying them before this problem came up, it has been bothering me for about 1 month, and also I dont lockout when doing these push-ups either, any suggestions would be great, thanks.
I had the same thing this past winter. My chiropractor put his finger on the spot and found the pain for me and says, "yep biceps tendon". I've had to lay off, but my shoulder feels better. Is it EXACTLY what you have? Maybe, maybe not, but it seems close to what I had.
"I do not prize the word cheap. It is not a badge of honor ... it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country!" - President William McKinley (1843-1901)

Share |

Legacy Member

08-22-2010, 09:35 PM

Thank you all for the advice, as allways Greg, you have great advice, another reason when you write a book I will buy it your advice is super, Greg, one thing I have started doing is instead doing G.U.T.S. everyday, I am doing it every other day, because when I was doing it everyday, I was feeling drained. gs300 tx, just like you, the hindu push-up does not bother my shoulders that much, I wonder why, but I am in the same sistuation your i n that is interseting Duff, I did 3 sets of bw rows today at the end of my G.U.T.S. workout, so your timing on your post was great, I read that bw rows are great to do with push-ups, KulaShaker, you may have hit the nail on the head with the pain problem, I feel it in my bicep tendon area, and sometimes the pain radiates down to my wrist, I am starting to do the ice and motrin, maybe that wiill help, but the pain you described, is the pain I am feleling. thanks to all of you for the advice, thank you all agian.

Share |

08-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Best of luck!

Share |

08-24-2010, 07:22 AM

A couple years ago I had (compared to yours) a more mild issue with discomfort in the front deltoid during standard pushups. Atlas I pushups didn't cause any discomfort. So I only did Atlas I's for 2 or 3 months. Then I gave standard pushups a shot again, and they felt fine. I had a similar experience with Tiger Bend Squats where they hurt my knee a little. I switched to Balance Squats for a while and later the TBS's felt fine.

So as Greg and John have both said; variations and differing angles are good things.

Embrace the challenge. Refuse to fail.

Share |

Legacy Member

08-24-2010, 10:41 AM

Inertia, I did Atlas 1 push-ups yesterday and my shoulders feel pretty good today, I did them with my 2 9in. stools, and I have to say again that today they feel pretty good, knock on wood, maybe I have to go the hindu push-up, atlas1 route for a while, also I just found out that in 2 weeks I am having cataract surgery on my right eye, and my eye doc said no push-ups for about 3 weeks, so I will have to try and find a different form of exercise to do while I cant do push-ups, Im kind of bummed out about it. I hear the surgery is not bad at all, but im going to miss my push-ups.

Share |