Share |
Advice from Herschel

Banned

08-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Needless to say, Dallas will always claim Herschel Walker as one of their own (once a Dallas Cowboy, always a Dallas Cowboy).

He's frequently interviewed on the local radio stations here. Today, 1301 the Ticket had him on. Here are a couple gems from that interview:

- He does 3,500 situps and 1,000 pushups everyday. He's bumped up the situps from 1,000/day.
- He's been doing this routine for over 30 years.
- Situps he does as crunches, 300 - 500 at a time.
- Pushups he does in sets of around 50 - 75. He does different styles of pushups with each set.
- Each takes him about an hour. He currently works out 7 hours a day (2 hours with these pushups and situps, 5 hours a mixture of training he does for his sport conditioning -- he didn't go into detail about his other training).
- He started by doing sets during commercial breaks after school (he would watch Love Connection and the People's Court)!

The coolest thing I heard though was this:

- From first grade to age 14 he was a pudgy kid (picked last for playground teams, if you can believe that). He always looked at his feet and was self-conscious.

However, when he started taking action himself and praying is when change started happening. Before then, prayer without any action on his part did nothing. And action without prayer did nothing either. Change happened with both.

I just think this guy is an amazing role model. Anyway, thought I would share some info from that interview.

Last edited by TejasT; 08-23-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Share |

Banned

08-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Great report! That Herschel is a self made man that transformed himself is no surpise, he used his mind to plan his routine and re-engineer himself. Astounding man I'd have never guessed he was a pudgy kid but then here on this forum we see men use thier mind's to recreate themselves, the power of the mind, and Joe and Greg come to mind as recent examples, and John is the ultimate example, conquering a crippling disease using his mind! My bet is if Herschel Walker had polio he'd still be the man we see! The triumph of the spirit is in him just like John and so many others here.

Share |

08-23-2010, 04:45 PM

I was watching Strikeforce on Saturday night. Herschel was there in the audience. The color guy said he would probably fight in their next show. He also said Herschel recently ran a sub 4.4 40 yard dash. That is amazing for a man approaching 50. It's amazing for anyone in their 30's! What a testament to lifelong fitness the body weight way.

Share |

08-23-2010, 09:49 PM

Thanks for sharing this, Tejas! Very inspiring.

Share |

08-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Check out Hershel in this pic!

Share |