Share |
Muscle growth over 55?

Banned

12-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Had an interesting conversation recently with a fitness devotee who made the following claim: If you’re over age 55, resistance exercise (of whatever type) will certainly increase strength, but it will not increase muscle size. Genetically, he said, our hormones are no longer able to supply the chemical stimuli needed to enable muscle growth. At post-55, we are what we are, and the best we can hope to do is maintain our physical appearance.

Any thoughts from others who have crossed the 55 barrier? I would think the examples of John, Jack King and others demonstrate the opposite. Or is it that these select few prove my friend correct–they are what they are, lifelong exercisers who are simply maintaining what they built up in their youth?

Share |

Legacy Member

12-10-2010, 09:31 AM

That is a pretty good question. I've an idea of the answer, but I'd like to see John's take on this.

Greg Newton

Share |

Legacy Member

12-10-2010, 09:47 AM

That's a great question... the fitness guru's answer sounds like a defeatest answer, how old is he, and has he based his answer on solid evidence instead of someones' laboratory pontifications....

Share |

12-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Regular resistance exercise increases anabolic horomone release. Maybe you can't pack on muscle as fast as a 20 year old, but you can still do it.

Superman, Superman, wish I could fly like superman
Superman, Superman, I want to be like superman

Share |

12-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Knowledge is dangerous! All the guys over 55 on the Forum that have used Transformetics are in for a rude awakening! They built muscle and rebuilt damged bodies all on a dream and now knowledge will take that away; NOT! The Fitness Guru needs to stop smoking marijuana under the bodhi tree! In the real world looks like Transformetrics trumped the fitness Guru's BS! resistance works! Look at people in thier 80s and older that benifit!

Share |

12-10-2010, 10:21 AM

If growth after 55 without any type of supplements is little to none, your muscles can still shape up, firm up, become defined, and look and be much bigger.

Size has so much to do with shape.

It can't be zero. Your organs are muscles which are rebuilding all the time.

I think what studies have shown is that there is a difference between youth and old age. I could have told them that.

Tom

Share |

Author

12-10-2010, 02:28 PM

Hey MFK,

Regardless of Age one must do two essential things. FIRST, ONE MUST BELIEVE HE CAN. (Re-read the story of Mr. Wright in PYTP on the importance of controlling one's thoughts and emotions.) And TWO one must keep his anabolic hormones at high production. This is key. And that's also why I offer and personally use the best all natural transdermal anabolic cremes one can buy at any price. I mention this because the idea that men cannot add muscle mass past the age of 55 is totally erroneous. The key is that they must do things the right way. That means eating right, exercising right, getting the right amount of rest and absolutely not believing or taking negative advice from people that don't know what they are talking about.

Example: at the age of 55 in 1991 my friend Jack King could no longer perform any type of pressing movements because of injuries to his joints caused by heavy weights over the years. Then in 1992 at the age of 56 he began performing High Volume Push-Ups with his feet elevated at 21". He got to the point where he performed 1,200 to1,500 reps twice each week and even got to the point that he performed 2,000 on one Saturday just to prove to himself that he could. In time Jack sculpted his best physique ever and the Push-Up was the only exercise he did for his chest and shoulders. True, Jack also did chins for his arms and back. But my point is Jack built his best ever Physique starting at age 56 in 1992. Five years later he won the Masters Mr. America at age 61. Bottom line: you can build serious muscle after age 55. Personally at age 58, I am performing more Pull-Ups and Chins than I could at age 28. Granted, back then I didn't realize sets of 30 were not at all impossible but that was then and this is now. The one thing I want everyone to take away from this discussion is that by maintaining the right Mind/Muscle balance anyone can build muscle. BUT IT ALL STARTS WITH THE BELIEF THAT YOU CAN.

---John Peterson

Share |

12-10-2010, 04:12 PM

I think it's important to be realistic, but not defeatist. A combination of "I accept the reality of my situation" with "let's find out what's possible!" tends to be the best approach for me.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-10-2010, 04:14 PM

MFK,

I'll go with John's answer. Obviously all of us are going to succumb to Father Time at some point, but I don't think we need to set an arbitrary age. During the years I did personal training, I saw changes in my clients who were past 55 and there was muscular hypertrophy. Maybe not as much as if they were younger, but still muscular hypertrophy.

I think John's natural hormone precursors, the Transdermal cremes, go a long way toward keeping that hormonal balance for further muscular growth. I use all four on a daily basis and have for over six months. I am starting to see some very interesting changes in my development, and I attribute this and the ability to workout harder to the transdermals. I think people will see a difference in a few months from now.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about what your friend said. In my early forties I thought I was washed up as an athlete and my best years were behind me. However, I've changed my body, my health, and fitness levels dramatically and I'm physically stronger and fitter than any other time in my life. Noel Johnson did the same at seventy. It is all about your mindset.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Newton; 12-11-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Share |

12-10-2010, 04:17 PM

>> Regardless of Age one must do two essential things. FIRST, ONE MUST BELIEVE HE CAN.

Hey John, let's not overlook the hard-core skeptics in the audience,like yours truly -- when I started this training two years ago my attitude was strictly 'show me', 'i'll believe it when i see it' etc etc etc.

pretty funny in retrospect !

Share |