Share |
What guns did they really carry in the Old West

01-23-2011, 09:53 AM

https://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=4098

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=201083

I've heard that the most common firearms in the Old West were Shotguns, .22 rifles and Military Surplus Civil War Revolvers, 1851 .36 cal Colt Navy and 1860 .44 cal Colt Army and Remingtons. The most common revolvers made were the small .22 and .32 caliber revolvers. The reason people were using Military Surplus revolvers was price, a new Colt was very expensive and Military Surplus was like $1 to $1.25 for a new revolver. The Colt Navy .36 revolver was manufactured from 1851 to 1873 and the one of the most popular handguns.

People had the old Black Powder Revolvers and Elmer Keith mentions them in his book Sixguns. The Cap & Ball .32 Colts were quite popular in that time. Henry and Winchester Rifles were available and owned but not as common as in Movies. Farmers were frugal and used Shotguns, Black Powder Revolvers and .22 short and .22 long rifle caliber Rifles. The Cap & Ball Rifles also were used as well as Military surplus Civil War Rifles.

Not as cool as modern Movies but they got the job done.

Share |

02-18-2011, 01:44 PM

For those interested in this era I'd recommend the book "Guns and the Gunfighters" by Guns and Ammo Editors.

Share |

Author

02-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Hi All,

When it comes to a firearm for todays self-defense, the SSS team defineltly thinks that any type of revolver id the best way to go. Better yet get one that does not have a hammer. In experiments done by our team and as we have put on the Live Fire Dvd is that it will not jam, and the concushion amd blast from this weapon can be devastating. An automatic jams easily and can be jamed with just a light touch making it a usless weapon. With the knowledge we have learned by experimenting with concushion and blast we were able to create a program called the professional series which deals with your legal consequences when defending yourself using the concepts of powder blast and concusion. We were surprised with the results. It sure doees blow away some of the misconceptions that are being taught out there as viable.
Whatever weapon you have train and practice, but remember, the chances of ever being able to use that weapon in an attack are small as in most cases you will never get the chance to pull in out. The same goes for a knife. Many people train with a weapon when they have control of a situation, but when you are attacked, most likely there will be no warning. You will be caught facing a knife or firearm, one wrong move, may be your last. Train to survive when everything goes wrong, not when you have control of a situation.

Be safe, your griend, Larry

Share |

Legacy Member

02-19-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
With the knowledge we have learned by experimenting with concushion and blast we were able to create a program called the professional series which deals with your legal consequences when defending yourself using the concepts of powder blast and concusion. We were surprised with the results. It sure doees blow away some of the misconceptions that are being taught out there as viable.
Larry,

I've always been a fan of double action revolvers, but could you elaborate on the above? How would you use powder blast and concussion as a defense tactic and what are the legal consequences you are talking about?

Greg Newton

Share |

Author

02-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Hi Greg,

I do not know if you have the Live Fire dvd or not, but what it does is show the power of the concushion and devastation of the powder blast when used against a person. What we did with this knowledge is to use the blast against the attacker himself. For example, if need to incapcitate a person with their own weapon, or with a weapon of your own. Fire the weapon within three inches of the face and they will drop. No need for a bullet and it is eassy to defend in legal consquences as thats how close the assaiant was to harming you. The disarming techniques that are taught in the professional series places no fingerprints on the weapon and uses the blast to take out the attacker. The techniques used in SSS are completely unique to those that are being taught out there by most instructors. I hope some day to be able to demonstrate them to you personally some day Greg. I am sure we sure would learn alot from each other while having a great time. Be safe, your friend Larry

Share |

02-21-2011, 05:43 PM

I've always preferred a double action revolver for Law Enforcement work and it is the best choice for civilians. Has a simple manual of arms, easy to load, unload and carry in a safe mode, people should practice using it with double action, and lends itself to point shooting. I own 1911A1 style single action pistols and like them but my first choice remains the double action revolver.

Share |

Author

02-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Hi All,

Excellent choice Mike. I like the hamnerless revolvor but with a light trigger pull but not to light. I have been caught with some people that use some super light trigger pull which can cause an accidental fire if pushed or grabbed. Be safe, your friend, Larry

Share |

Legacy Member

02-22-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Fire the weapon within three inches of the face and they will drop. No need for a bullet and it is easy to defend in legal consequences as thats how close the assailant was to harming you.
Thanks for the explanation Larry. That makes sense. How justified is a shooting if you are only facing a person's fists and a beating? Are you justified in using deadly force to defend? But, the concussion of the blast could take them out without causing deadly harm.

About 1982 a female security police in the Air Force was on gateguard at Lackland Air Force Base in the early a.m. A doped up transient wandered in off the street and attacked the SP. With no intermediate impact weapon, she drew her gun and pistol whipped the suspect into submission. The question was whether she should be commended for saving her own life, or whether she exceeded the use of force by using such brutal measures to defend herself. Possibly, the technique you teach could have circumvented the pistol whipping, which realistically, is a messy and inefficient way to defend one's self.

And yes, I do have the Live Fire DVD. It is quite a study in violence. As you said, "Don't try this at home."

Greg

Share |