Share |
John, what does "Angle of Pull" mean?

Author

03-30-2011, 09:37 AM

Hey Friends,

Here's another question I have been asked by e-mail about Frank Rudolph Young and what he meant by exercising one's muscles from their best "Angle of Pull."

Although the concept of DVR and Isometric Pulse Contractions that Dr. Young taught under the name "Yogametrics" had been taught since the late 1890's by Alois P. Swoboda and then later by Maxick beginning in about 1910, the concept of exercising one's muscles from their best "angle of pull" was unique to Dr. Frank Rudolph Young.

In his first exercise book, "Yoga For Men Only" Dr. Young discussed the consequences of heavy weight bearing exercise on the skeletal system and particularly the spinal column. He emphasized that if continued long term it would cause irreversible compression of the lower spine and also have disastrous consequences on the connective tissues of the body. He was adamant that compression of the lower spine would impede the delivery of nerve force to every organ and tissue throughout the body and thus accelerate the aging process in addition to causing pain and disability. Yet Dr. Young also taught that having a superbly developed musculature that was both strong and well sculpted was of utmost importance in protecting the spine and connective tissue from the negative effects of daily life. Dr. Young's alternative solution as presented in"Yoga for Men Only" was to exercise one's muscles with great intensity from their best "angle of pull". In other words to remove weight bearing from the equation as much as possible and to exercise the muscles directly by positioning them at unique angles and then using one's mind to create intense contraction of the muscle fibers while they were exercising in the unique angles that he taught in his books. Truth to tell, you will not find many of Dr. Young's full range repetitive exercises in any other books that I am aware of. This is especially true of books that teach Yoga. In fact, about the closest thing that you will find to Dr. Young's exercises would be some of the isolation exercises that were taught in Alois P. Swoboda's Conscious Evolution and Maxick's "Muscle Control". However the Full range of Motion Exercises that Dr. Young taught were totally unique and unlike any that I have seen in any other source. So the bottom line is exercising the muscles from their "best angles of pull" was a concept first written about by Frank Rudolph Young even though some of the same concepts had been taught for decades by other Physical Culture Instructors.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Hey John,

You may have thought about and considered this already, but I am wondering if you could take the FRY exercises that are not already included in your current publications and add a book to the Bronze Bow collection. With your understanding of those exercises and your ability to explain them in an understandable way, would there be difficulty in obtaining permission to publish just his exercises?

Just a thought

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm And ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |

Author

03-30-2011, 11:15 AM

Hey Max,

It's interesting that you bring this up. i was talking to my good friend Rod Fisher about this very thing and Rod said exactly what you are saying. Rod believes that Dr. Young's exercise descriptions made his exercises all but impossible to do for the vast majority of people because they were so complicated. Believe me, if men like you and Rod Fisher feel that way then it will be especially true for people that have never exercised before. If I remember correctly, you have a copy of Yoga Secrets For Health and Extraordinary Long Life so you really do know just how complicated all of Dr. Young's exercise descriptions were.

Your idea is an excellent one...but first if I have to clear the deck with what we already have.

---John Peterson

Share |