Transformetrics Forums

Transformetrics Forums (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Living Strength (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lots of shoulder pain lately (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18146)

kenpopaul@yahoo.co.uk 06-04-2019 09:32 AM

Lots of shoulder pain lately

Hi All (especially John as I know you've suffered with bad shoulders in the past).

Years ago as some of you may remember I injured my right shoulder (had to take a few years off any training, surfing etc). Took 4 years to get it back to the strangth I had.

I occasionally hurt/strain it and it sometimes hurts a little on cold days, but it's good in general.

Lately though I have had trouble with BOTH shoulders.

I find that after a Kenpo (karate) session I am often in pain (possibly due to the jerky movements involved?). The past few weeks/month though they have ached a lot. A dull pain from inside the shoulder joint.

My chiropractor has said it's likely due to my job (I sit at a desk on a computer all day), plus I have dogs that pull a lot, and two kids who I hold a lot.

I was wondering what I can do to help this? I have started doing daily miracle seven exercises (just 1 x 10 reps at light to medium intensity) but was thinking that perhaps Hindu Pushups may help? I also remember John talking about his friend who healed his shoulders (after years of weight lifting abuse) by doing 2 sessions a week of high volume pushups, feet elevated, but only partial reps (think this is in your pushup book john? will have to look tonight). possibly even some isometrics daily too?

Any advice/help would be appreciated

- Kenpopaul

John Peterson 06-04-2019 03:27 PM

Hello kenpopaul,

My friend Jack King was incapable of doing any pressing movements of any kind with Barbells, dumbbells or machines. He told me that the feet elevated push-up had literally healed his shoulders and he got to the point that he would complete 1,000 reps on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Jack was convinced that he was infusing his shoulders with highly oxygenated that literally healed his shoulders. Tim Kaine also told me that he had experienced a similar situation as relates to healing his shoulders.

Since each of us is physiologically unique it's difficult to say that any given exercise will help heal shoulders across the board. In fact, Jack told me that within 6 months of going back to the weights that his shoulders were so injured that he could not even return to performing Push-Ups because as he put it, "It felt like some someone was grinding glass into my shoulder joints. Needless to say, Jack was in a world of hurt.

Here is the bottom line. Everyone MUST become their own best expert and trainer. For me personally, Isometrics have been amazing and this may sound like almost nothing but I personally perform 100 or more Push-Ups each day while using my 52-pound weight vest on the Atlas I variation. The boxes that I use on my Atlas I Push-Ups are 12" as opposed to the standard 18" chairs and because of that fact and the fact that my shoulders are positioned a little forward of my hands, I get an exceptionally deep and complete stretch in my shoulders and Pecs. Granted my sets are between 12 and 20 reps in each set BUT these are performed slowly and precisely with no jerking at all and I feel as though this movement has been very healing to my shoulders along with my Isometrics.

---John Peterson

bennyb 06-05-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenpopaul@yahoo.co.uk (Post 110777)
Hi All (especially John as I know you've suffered with bad shoulders in the past).

Years ago as some of you may remember I injured my right shoulder (had to take a few years off any training, surfing etc). Took 4 years to get it back to the strangth I had.

I occasionally hurt/strain it and it sometimes hurts a little on cold days, but it's good in general.

Lately though I have had trouble with BOTH shoulders.

I find that after a Kenpo (karate) session I am often in pain (possibly due to the jerky movements involved?). The past few weeks/month though they have ached a lot. A dull pain from inside the shoulder joint.

My chiropractor has said it's likely due to my job (I sit at a desk on a computer all day), plus I have dogs that pull a lot, and two kids who I hold a lot.

I was wondering what I can do to help this? I have started doing daily miracle seven exercises (just 1 x 10 reps at light to medium intensity) but was thinking that perhaps Hindu Pushups may help? I also remember John talking about his friend who healed his shoulders (after years of weight lifting abuse) by doing 2 sessions a week of high volume pushups, feet elevated, but only partial reps (think this is in your pushup book john? will have to look tonight). possibly even some isometrics daily too?

Any advice/help would be appreciated

- Kenpopaul

It depends on how injured the shoulders are and if there's inflammation, joint discomfort and internal bruising. High rep calistenics may not be the best idea at the time but find out what really aggrivates it, assest what exercises give you less pain as oppose to what causes the pain. I had hurt my shoulders doing push-ups and had to back off for a long time of pushups all together. Crawling had helped me but I wouldn't say it cured my shoulder pain, it decreased it for sure. Give the shoulders rest as best as possible and do light things that give it a whirl but not so vigorous that it's causing more harm than it already has. Isometrics are a great tool and light DVR exercise could work too. For isometrics, keep it at around 50-60% of your strength, using too much strength with aggravated shoulders can do more harm than good, be aware of how it feels. For DVRs, I would think what you're doing is more than enough and with your kempo training it's hard enough as it is. Be safe my friend and heal up.

John Peterson 06-06-2019 06:06 PM

Hello Benny,

Those are excellent suggestions.

The truth is that it is almost impossible to tell another man what will work and what will not when it comes to alleviating pain or accelerating healing. For instance, when Jack King told me that Push-ups healed his shoulders I thought to myself that he must be one in a million. So I started asking questions. And one of the first things he said was that when he tried to do a set of standard push-ups with his feet on the floor that the pain in both shoulders was so excruciating that he could not do any. YET, by putting his feet on a 16" weight lifting bench the angle eased his pain just enough so that he could begin. He also used a small block of wood in each hand to take the pressure off of his wrists. By performing high volume partials (sets of 75 or more) going all the way down and 2/3 of the way up he was able to build and sculpt his muscles and ultimately heal his shoulders. When Jack first told me about it I thought that it was almost too bizarre to be real and yet the integrity of the man told me that it was totally true.

---John Peterson

ware 06-20-2019 03:37 PM

I think the key to healing shoulders is 1. quit doing anything you know aggravates them. 2. If you don't know what is aggravating them, quit everything for a couple of weeks. Then add one thing at a time back. And sometimes it's not one particular movement, it's the volume of all the things you are doing combined. Also, as you age things you could tolerate before may become intolerable.

High reps 20 - 40 with light weight / bodyweight on movements that work shoulders but don't cause the pain you had are a good way to get blood flow through the area to promote healing.