Transformetrics Forums

Transformetrics Forums (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Living Strength (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Alexander Zass exercise photos (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6612)

Andy62 11-09-2010 09:30 PM

Alexander Zass exercise photos

Scroll down:

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...ss/IMW/imw.htm

gs300tx 11-09-2010 11:15 PM

Isometrics never cease to amaze me. I did learn something new from the article. Say one is performing isometric curls. There would be 3 positions, bottom, middle and top= 3 isometric contractions at maximum tension.

Here is what the article states

"Eventually you should be doing each exercise three times; with the first set about 50 percent effort to warm up, the second set around 75 percent effort and the final set worth maximum effort"

That would mean there would be total of 9 isometric contracts in our case of the isometric curl.

Has any one tried this method?

Ali

Andy62 11-10-2010 12:34 PM

Alexander Zass is the father of modern isometrics. Isometrics have been around for thousands of years,but Zass was the one who discovered or maybe I should say rediscovered them on his own and applied them to his own strength buliding situation and requirements. He promoted them aggressively in an era where mass communications were expamding and made them available to numerous people through his mail order marketing. In the 1950s the Max Planck Institute in Germany scientifically proved their effectiveness and started what became the isometric boom of the 1950s and 1960s. I personally think that even with the rebirth they are currently going through they still remain the most underrated and least understood form of exercise. They remain the most individual and intuitive form of exercise whether you prefer the aerobic approach used by Steve Justa or the many other applications. They are totally adjustable to your energy level and motivation at the time you are using them . As Bob Hoffman, the father of weightlifting, said, " they are very similar to the exercises taught by Alois P. Swoboda that gave his father the best build that he had ever seen." Isometrics build NERVE FORCE.

gs300tx 11-10-2010 12:54 PM

Is his original course still available?

Andy62 11-10-2010 01:26 PM

I have never been able to find a complete copy of it.

Reader 11-10-2010 02:19 PM

Hi!

Yesterday, I kept myself busy with Steve Justa's "Isometric" Chapter in his book - Rock, Iron Steel.
Comprehensiv and well writen!

He describes how he felt when doing isometrics:

,,The isometrics made me feel like a steel shaft. They burned the fat right out of the muscle from the inside out. They made my muscle super dense and super efficient. They gave me super-speedy quick movements. They made me feel light as a feather afoot. They gave me great endurance."

He talk a lot about 'Aerobic Iso's"...

I know how to apply them.

What do you think about their effectivness??
Any experience reports?

gs300tx 11-10-2010 03:41 PM

Reader: Does it say how often one should perform aerobic isometrics? I know for regular isometrics its one contraction per day.

Thanks!

Andy62 11-10-2010 06:34 PM

It has been a while since I read Steve Justa's "Rock, Iron, Steel" and it is in storage. I have another informal publication that Steve Justa wrote that gives some interesting insights into him and his training methods. It is titled, " Steve Justa's High Plains Heavy Metal Iron Masters Super Strength Bible." Some of the random thoughts from it are as follows:

* There is a picture of him resting after a 3 hour isometric workout in 100 degree weather.
* It shows pictures of him at bodyweights from 215 to 360. He has gone up and down several times.
* He did back lifts of 4,800 pounds in 1990. Only Paul Anderson has dione more.
* He does isometric workouts of 3 hours with his goals being to develop endurance and mental toughness.
* He stresses emotional control and the ability to stay cool under pressure.
* He says, "Strength is believing that you can when you really don't know for sure."
* He says, "Strength is analyzing and figuring things out for and by yourself.
* He lifts almost any type of object that you can imagine.
* Work to a level that is comfortable for you and will let you have good workout.
* "Gaining super strength is as much a mental game as it is a physical one. Learn to listen to your
subconscious mind".
* "I am totally convinced that the stronger you get he more psychic you become."
* "You train your mind by training your body one brutal workout after another month after month year after
year."

My take is that he believes in self reliance and is a great example of it.

duff 11-11-2010 03:31 PM

Wow--thanks for that, Andy. Steve Justa sounds like a yogi!