Transformetrics Forums

Transformetrics Forums (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Living Strength (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Why I've Moved On From Holding Heavy Things (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17986)

ware 01-07-2019 09:56 AM

Why I've Moved On From Holding Heavy Things

One key reason I moved on from weights was the overlap of stress from various exercises.

What I'm talking about is the same muscles are taxed over and over again for many different exercises in which they are not the prime mover.

Consider Overhead Press, Squats, Deadlift, Curls, Shrugs. Lifts I formerly did with regularity. If done in the same workout, which is common, think about how the spine and it's stabilizers stabilizers, shoulders, hips, knees are involved in holding the weight to the Overhead Press. Then they are involved again for Squats and so on. It's easy to see that the use of weights taxes the nervous system and joints to a much greater degree than an exercise protocol that does not require weights be held in a certain position to work the muscle that you are targeting.

I'm not saying that this might not be beneficial to stabilizer muscles, it probably is to a degree, but I think the stabilizer work is happening at the expense of joints. I think if you do a variety of movements with bodyweight or isometrics the stabilizers get a lot of work. In some cases more, i.e., bench press vs pushup.

The body registers everything done to it, so if I can work the same muscles equally well without having to hold a heavy object over and over again during the course of the workout, wouldn't my joints, my central nervous system, my recovery ability all be better off?

bennyb 01-07-2019 01:19 PM

Ware,

Good for you bro and do what makes you happy and healthy. Sometimes in life, its good to make a change and do what's best for you. Make it work for you and hope it brings you great things as you move forward.

John Peterson 01-07-2019 04:19 PM

Hello Ware,

Your statements are 100% spot on but in addition to what you have stated is the fact that the discs of the lower spine that function as shock absorbers end up being destroyed in the process. In fact, I have known a few men that actually lost inches in height as a result of the discs being flattened and destroyed due to the compression caused by very heavy weights.

"Consider Overhead Press, Squats, Deadlift, Curls, Shrugs. Lifts I formerly did with regularity. If done in the same workout, which is common, think about how the spine and it's stabilizers stabilizers, shoulders, hips, knees are involved in holding the weight to the Overhead Press. Then they are involved again for Squats and so on. It's easy to see that the use of weights taxes the nervous system and joints to a much greater degree than an exercise protocol that does not require weights be held in a certain position to work the muscle that you are targeting."

---John Peterson

Andy62 01-07-2019 05:52 PM

“A dumbell in each hand is an object meant to help centralize resistance upon the muscle,and compel it to work. When the weight is too heavy, then concentration is removed from the indivdual muscle to the group and the weights, which divides and minimizes the action.”

George F. Jowett
“The Unrevealed Secrets Of Man

John Peterson 01-07-2019 06:44 PM

Hey Gordon,

Some of the Old time greats like Bobby Pandour fully understood what Jowett was stating and many of them trained with 5 pound dumbells and went up to 25 pounds at most when training the legs. Why? Because they knew that Swoboda was correct. For them very light dumb bells allowed them to focus on the intensity of the contraction. Swoboda actually believed that it was best to use nothing in the hand and to maximize one's abilities.

---John Peterson