Transformetrics Forums

Transformetrics Forums (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Living Strength (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Most Amazing Isometric Strength Feat (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17846)

John Peterson 09-24-2018 12:29 PM

The Most Amazing Isometric Strength Feat

Hello Everyone,

I was asked about what I consider to be the greatest feat of Isometric strength that I have ever heard of.

That answer comes from what I was told by Jack King. He told me that during the intense isometric research studies that were conducted by the York Barbell Club with Dr. John Ziegler in the early 1960's that Bill March once took a barbell loaded to 80 pounds and extended it straight out from his shoulders to full extension directly in front of him and held it there for 12 seconds before retracting it to his shoulders. The only other man that could duplicate it was Lou Riecke who was also one of the Isometric test subjects.

Jack told me that he knew lots of guys that could bench well over 400 pounds but not one of them could duplicate this feat that is due to developing the stabilizer muscles as only isometric Contraction can.

I find the above to be "off the charts" impressive strength.

---John Peterson

Andy62 09-24-2018 02:09 PM

The most amazing isometric strength feat of all time was Samson pushing down the stadium on the Philistines.

John Peterson 09-24-2018 02:27 PM

Hey Gordon,

I agree! Bringing down the temple of Dagon in which the ruling class of the philistines was present ended the domination of the philistines over the Israelites and they never totally regained it after that event.

---John Peterson

solytrain 09-25-2018 02:19 PM

Jo Lewis (the marital artist) said that bruce lee at a weight of 138 could press out a barbell of 75 lb in front him and hold for 20 secs

John Peterson 09-25-2018 03:56 PM

Hey Solytrain,

Thanks for responding. When I had discussed this with Jack King he told me that the thing that Isometric Contraction develops beyond every other method is that when it is properly applied Isometrics develop stabilizing muscles around joints that cannot be approached with movement based exercises.

Jack also said that he knew lots of guys that could bench press 400+ and that could extend an 80 pound barbell straight out in front but that a soon as it was fully extended would not have the strength in the stabilizers to maintain the full extension and it would immediately start to drop. jack believed the best way to develop that kind of strength is to perform the exercise isometrically as you will see in the new Isometric Power Belt Course that features multiple angled forward and horizontal lateral raises.

Bruce Lee used an Isometric Chain exerciser that he extended straight in front at maximum strength trying to break the chain and he had a level of muscle density as the result of his Isometric training that was almost hard to believe. Jack also told me that both Bill March and Lou Riecke had experienced a phenomenal increase in muscle density and that both men appeared in their clothing to have lost a certain amount 'size' and yet neither man lost an ounce of body weight and the increase in raw muscularity was unbelievable. In both cases these men developed off the charts muscular definition that was unusual for the time. Jack attributed the extreme density and definition to Isometric Contraction and not to the steroids that both men were using in conjunction with the isometric training.

---John Peterson

solytrain 09-25-2018 09:43 PM

not to take anything away from Bruce Lee, but the greatest isometric feat that i saw, was an old old(?)man take a steel bar one inch square and not only bend it but actually twist it sort of a corkscrew shape(which i don't think anyone has duplicated since), now even though it moved by actually bending so it wasn't what some people would call a pure iso, but it started out as an iso,he just overcame it

John Peterson 09-26-2018 07:31 AM

Hello Soly,

I have a feeling that we have three guesses as to who the old man was and two don't count.

Seriously though, did YOU see the Mighty Atom do that once or multiple times? In Ed Spielman's book he makes it seem as though the Atom did his feats so routinely that they were no longer feats for him.

One other thing, as I was re-reading the book on the life of the Mighty Atom that Ed Spielman the creator of the TV series 'Kung Fu' wrote, it dawned on me the many parallels that existed between the character Kwai Chang Caine and that of the very real Mighty Atom both of whom had come to America to discover and create a new life.

---John Peterson

solytrain 09-26-2018 09:38 AM

actually that feat was difficult even for him, so he didn't perform it regularily because he didn't think the lay person would appreciate it, this was performed in Dan Lurie's office in front of him and a couple of guys,two i remember a wrestler and some one named ross who was a bodybuilder i think

lionking 09-27-2018 08:08 AM

Solytrain, how did the mighty atom train his grip, with just isometrics? Thanks

solytrain 09-28-2018 03:54 AM

his training was mostly working on the feat itself, meaning, he would pull on the steel itself until it gave in (he wouldn't) ,so he in affect used what i would call "super isometrics" which is an all out effort ++ because it wasn't done for only 7 seconds or 5-6-7, no, it was done for minutes at a time, until that peice of steel gave in, the truth is all strongmen who do steel bending go through that kind of training, he just took it further because his mind/will was extremely strong