Transformetrics Forums

Transformetrics Forums (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Living Strength (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Good News about Atlas Push-Ups! (http://www.transformetrics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27)

Hank_Z 10-21-2008 09:20 PM

Good News about Atlas Push-Ups!

I've been out of shape and overweight for several years. I'm monitoring what I eat and am eating less food, and it's more nutritious than before.

Two weeks ago I tried to do Atlas push-ups for the first time. The highest number of reps I could perform was...zero. :sad: (I could perform only one regular push-up, and that was very difficult.)

Since then I've been doing a lot of GTGs each day in sets of 10 to 25 push-ups against the counter, the wall, our table, etc. I've also been doing hindu squats, ISOs, and Iso Power Flexes. But I have NOT been doing Atlas push-ups or push-ups on the floor.

Yesterday was the first time I tried the Atlas push-ups again. My total reps in one set went from zero (two weeks ago) to...12! It felt so good to actually see the progress.

Now that I can do a reasonable number of push-ups, I'll be doing more of them on the floor. And I'm doing different types of push-ups each day as John recommends. But I'm not giving up my GTGs!

Hank

gs300tx 10-21-2008 09:40 PM

congratulations bro, just give it some time and you will be surprised at how fast your body can adapt to push ups, atlas or otherwise, you will be cranking out triple digit numbers in no time.

budgiefan 10-21-2008 09:59 PM

First, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Such an improvement has got to make you feel great, as it should,!

Second, I think there is more to the Atlas pushup than meets the eye. I think it is a learned skill and i think it is an exercise that, if you've never done it before, you're bad at it just as you would be bad at the first time you tried a martial arts kick or a dance move or something. (when I say "you", I mean the average person, not you specifically)

It's deceptive as heck, because it looks like you're just doing a push up between 2 chairs, but now that I have some experience, I think it's far more than that. You're making your body move in a way, and putting demands on it in a way that you never have before. So, at the very beginning, it's hard as bejeebers. Then, you see some quick improvement, then, reality sets in and you realize you have to fight for every rep.

And that's another thing that makes it so great. There is simply nothing easy about it. Every time you set out to do a set of Atlas push ups, you must be ready for a physical and mental challenge.

The greatest exercise in the world, and not for the faint of heart!!

Best of luck,

Jeff

gs300tx 10-21-2008 10:12 PM

is it me or are atlas push ups easier to do then regular push ups?

kelbiz 10-21-2008 10:20 PM

Push-ups absolutely work!

MikeNY 10-21-2008 10:23 PM

Hank try doing the holleyweed, it is GTG using wall, door and counter PU's. Once you hit just 150 too 200 extra modified PUs a day; it really makes a difference and hundreds of extra just make PUs easier. Gordon explained it to me, most of the work is done at certain points in a PU so you hitting the sweet spot doing the holleyweed, There really is something for nothing.

gs300tx 10-21-2008 10:27 PM

So basically in addition to the regular push ups, I add modified PU's ?

jan 10-22-2008 01:28 AM

Way to go Hank! Great job my friend. Keep at it.

Jan

David64 10-22-2008 05:14 AM

Hank thats awesome!! Keep it up.

BodyByAtlas 10-22-2008 06:29 AM

If you’re doing the Atlas pushups between two chairs use flat chairs. I found rounded edge chairs cause me to have shoulder pain.