Share |
Vintage Men's Magazines

Legacy Member

05-26-2011, 02:03 PM

I ran across this link today and thought everyone would get a real kick out of it!

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/05/26...ure-magazines/

Just looking at the covers on these old magazines makes your testosterone go up!

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

05-26-2011, 02:06 PM

This one has to be my favorite just because of the teaser:

Sex can be fun?! Who knew??

-Joe

Share |

Author

05-26-2011, 02:20 PM

Hey Joe,

Boy did that bring back memories. You had me laughing out loud. I went through the list but didn't see the cover of the one where the Japanese women soldiers were putting captured American soldiers in vats full of leeches in order to make them weaker and easy to control. Seriously, Uncle Wally had all of those Men's magazines including Stag and Argosy. And when I was 10, 11, and 12 he'd let me take them to school and sell them to my friends. Almost every one of them had either western or WWII themes on the cover. Lots of evil Nazi's and Japanese on those covers doing despicable things. I don't remember the one's with men being attacked by lemmings or sea otters but then again I probably didn't see them all.

---John Peterson

Share |

Banned

05-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Joe talk about a blast from the past, I saw those covers and laughed, the story titles made me laugh even harder! These magazines were shocking in thier day and now in jaded USA are laughable.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Joe,

I took a look at those covers and howled. The savage killer turtles was the most hillarious. But, I remember Argosy - a journey into a man's world. It was actually a pretty good magazine. I remember one issue I read when I was thirteen had Johnnie Cash and Merle Haggard on the cover with "Who is the Real King of Country Music?" It also had an interview inside with the one and only cartoon detective Dick Tracy.

You know John, a couple of those covers with slim cowboys wtih massive forearms and an unfiltered cigarette dangling from lips had me wondering if that wasn't what Wally Nordquist looked like.

Lori, who has heard many of your Uncle Wally stories took one look at those covers and said, "Huh, I bet that is the kind of stuff John's Uncle Wally read."

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

05-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Everyone better run! Here comes The Man Hungry Hussy of She-Devil Island!!!

I think I dated here when I as 20....

-Joe

Share |

05-27-2011, 06:42 PM

I experienced my teenage years in the 1950s and I remember those magazines well. They were sort of the adult comic books of their day. Being a teenager in the 1950s was great. We were the children of the children of the depression. Dwight Eisenhower was President and things were prosperous and optimistic. It was the age of Elvis and the whole world was in a state of change. At the same time that our parents may have been children of the depression they also carried with them many of the values of the Victorian Era and so did society. During those high energy, hormone driven, years there was constant conflict between existing mores and where we were and where society was going. As teenagers we all looked at those magazines and fantasized about the future, but the drive-in was always there. For our fathers and uncles who were pretty much locked into the existing system they just fantasized. Those magazines kind of brought the legends of the old west where a man could out shoot, out fight, out cuss, out drink and out womanize any one else right into the living room of the the 1950s home. All in all it was the perfect era to mature in and with much better values than we have today.

Last edited by Andy62; 05-27-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Share |