Share |
Hey John, Vibram Five Fingers is a Sham...

Author

12-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Hey Friends,

From time to time I receive e-mails from people that disagree just to disagree. These are idiots that will take one side of an argument until it is exhausted and then as soon as they have people agreeing with them they try to take the other side of the same argument. In fact, some of these idiots have used more than one alias just so that they could argue with themselves. And no friends, I ain't kidding.

Case in point, I received an e-mail from a guy that is a real charmer. He used lots of expletives with heavy emphasis on the F-word. He said(and I am intentionally changing several words), "All that stuff about barefoot running and Vibram Five Fingers is a total sham. You probably don't know this but the guy that was featured in the book you like, "Born To Run," the one that was called Caballo Blanco was caught running in running shoes. He wasn't barefoot and he wasn't running in Vibram Five Fingers. So what do you say to that?"

Wait a minute, What do I say to that? Are you guys serious? Whoopi ding. So what? Who cares? Do you really believe that it's a big deal to me if Micah True (Caballo Blanco) sometimes runs in trail running shoes or whatever brand of running shoes he likes? Big deal. Have you clowns ever actually read "Born To Run"? If you intellectual giants have read it, then please point out the chapter, page, and paragraph where Caballo Blanco says that he runs only barefoot or in VFF. Show me where. Oh, you can't huh? Well maybe it's because Caballo Blanco never said that he only runs barefoot or in VFF.

Now, even though I think running barefoot or minimalist is a great idea in terms of building strong feet I can also tell you that it may not be for everyone. You see I have been a runner since the late 60's and really got into running long distance in 1977 after I read Jim Fixx's book, "The Complete Book of Running". I ran my first marathon that same year. Back then it was called 'The City of Lakes Marathon' and it consisted of four loops around Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet. Anyway, I also had a subscription to Runner's World magazine. I distinctly remember that every issue featured a who's who list of injured runners and it was then that Running Shoes began to evolve from very minimalist foot ware (not at all unlike today's minimalist footwear) to highly cushioned and supposedly the bio mechanically engineered variety that would prevent injury. Runners World even had a special running shoes issue that discussed the merits of all the new models. At first they awarded Brooks Running Shoes, the best shoe of the year award.

Bottom line: people were getting injured right and left in minimalist footwear back in the late 70's just like they have in highly cushioned shoes ever since. I can tell you from first hand experience that sometimes switching to a new shoe made all the difference in the world. It did for me. Back then I owned four pairs of Adidas Marathon Trainers that I alternated each day. (And yes, I ran everyday averaging 70 miles a week or more.) It was the best shoe I ever trained in and then in the early 80's they changed it and I had to find new shoes all over again.

So anyway, the morons that like to have something to complain about can take their griping to Runners World. In the meantime I'll continue my winter running in my Asics Kayanos and this spring I will switch back to VFF.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 12-28-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Share |

Banned

12-28-2010, 06:38 PM

John,

You've got a tough job I admire your patience. And I think you're right on: some people like to just be confrontational.

I've read Born to Run (a terrific book by the way), and Barefoot Ted is the guy in that book who's the barefoot fanatic -- not Caballo Blanco. In fact, Blanco thought Barefoot Ted a little odd for running on the sharp terrain barefoot -- yet was amazed that Ted's feet were tough enough that he could.

Even the Tarahumara Indians, after all, wear a light type of sandal in the Copper Canyon.

Barefoot Ted's the one who these days endorses the VFF (www.barefootted.com). The writer of that email sounds like he hasn't even read the book.

I used to travel to Boston a lot, and remember seeing some running shoes of Boston Billy (Bill Rodgers) from back in the day. They looked basically like Chuck Taylor shoes without the ankle part. Talk about minimal. They were even more minimal than the Nike Frees you see today.

And those are what everyone ran in back in the 60's and 70's.

As a runner myself, I honestly don't think it's the type shoe that's injuring people. I think it's the running surface. Run long enough on concrete roads (no matter what shoe you wear) and eventually you'll get injured.

Personally, I love my VFFs. I don't run all the time in them either, but like you, enjoy switching between them and my Asics.

Last edited by TejasT; 12-28-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Share |

12-29-2010, 05:33 AM

I got a pair of VFF for Christmas and look forward to experimenting with them and running in them in warmer weather. Everything you said rings true to me, too, John. I subscribed to Runner's World and certainly remember the shoe reviews and such! Hey, I don't look for the VFF's to be revolutionary. But, I am eager to see how my body reacts to wearing them!

Share |

Legacy Member

12-29-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
In fact, some of these idiots have used more than one alias just so that they could argue with themselves. And no friends, I ain't kidding.
I can vouch for this. Greg, John and I have actually caught several people doing this on the forum. We get rid of nuts like that real fast, then I guess they just start e-mailing John instead!

I think the minimalist footwear is best for trail running. I'm not a fan of pavement running anyhow, but think shoes are the best bet on pavement.

-Joe

Share |

Author

12-29-2010, 09:33 AM

Hey Joe,

It's truly is amazing how twisted some people really are. A lot of those unfortunate people remind me of the twisted characters that the actor Bruce Dern used to play. Bruce Dern made a career out of playing twisted weirdo's and was probably the only actor in Hollywood willing to be the guy that shot John Wayne in the back which is exactly what he did after John Wayne beat the stuffing out of him in "The Cowboys".

Anyway, as far as Vibram Five Fingers is concerned, I really like them. However, i don't use them in the winter when it is below 20 degrees. For winter running I much prefer my Asics Kayano.

Now, once again let me reiterate that back in the late 70's, Runners World Magazine had an annual "Best Of" Running Shoe issue. At first when the running boom hit in the latter half of the 70's there were only a hand full of running shoe models to choose from. Most had no real padding to speak of and truly were minimalist. Then as more and more people took to running there were more and more injuries being reported that were due to many people trying to do too much, too soon. The running shoe manufacturers responded by creating shoes that were well padded and supposedly engineered to match the natural design of the foot. Often times the new shoes made it possible for people to run far greater distances far more frequently and injury free. By that I mean people that usually ran two or three miles were able to increase their daily mileage to 5, 7 or even 10 miles or more. Truth is, it was due to the confidence that runners had in the newly designed and well cushioned running shoes that had recently become available and it was this innovation that made the running boom possible. Now days we're being told once again that running injuries are being caused by the shoes runners are wearing but now it's from the opposite angle. We're being told that it is the cushioning that is causing the problem and for some people that may in fact, be the case. But certainly not for all.

OK, so why have I stated what I have stated in the above paragraph? It's because it illustrates something that we have been saying from day one on this forum. That is that you need to become your own best trainer. If you start running you may discover that over time that you are suffering from shin splints, chondromalacia(Also called Runner's knee), Achilles tendinitis, Plantar fasciitis (arch pain) or other aches and pains. Quite often these injuries can be alleviated by changing the shoes you wear while you run. Which also brings us back to Vibram Five Fingers. One thing that I believe to be absolutely true is that using minimalist running shoes such as VFF or no running shoes at all will cause your feet to be strengthened as part of the adaptation that bare foot running requires. I regard this as a very good, healthy, and positive change. But still, don't ever check your brain in at the door. Do yourself a big favor and become your own best expert as relates to your body and how to train it.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-29-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
But still, don't ever check your brain in at the door. Do yourself a big favor and become your own best expert as relates to your body and how to train it.

IN OTHER WORDS USE YOUR COMMON SENSE! Don't be wearing the VFF's on asphault, or concrete or in very cold temperatures. This reminds me of the guy who sent John a picture of himself doing a nose to floor bridge on concrete! How stupid can you get?

Greg

P.S. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be hilarious, but what Joe said is true. We have had trolls posting as two different people and arguing with themselves. Then they'll go to one of the parasite forums that owes existance to this one and trash their alterego. How weird can you get?

Share |

Author

12-29-2010, 11:21 AM

Hey Greg,

Isn't it just bizarre and hilarious that they have Mr. Hyde going to a parasite forum and telling the other parasites that his own alter-ego Dr Jeckylll is an A--hole. Seriously, how strange, weird, and twisted can these characters get?

Now Gregory, for the record, I did respond to the guy that sent me the photo of himself doing a "Nose to Concrete Bridge". I said, "Wow! that's really great. Remind me, and I'll be sure to give it a try when I'm a lot dumber"(another Uncle Wallyism) In the meantime why don't you start eating glass(light bulbs are perfect) and sleeping on a bed of nails in order to really get tough. And while you're at it, make sure you practice maximum intensity plyometrics each and every day. Do those things and you will be in a class all your own."

Can you believe that after giving him that excellent advice that I never again heard from him? Total ingratitude.

---John Peterson

Share |