Share |
I wonder how many folks could benefit from just 15 minutes of calisthenics?

Legacy Member

03-14-2011, 11:20 AM

Whenever I work with kids, I have a secret weapon most adults don't have: Fitness!

You get a gaggle of kids running around yelling and screaming and then say, "Sit down, put your hands in your lap and be a good little boy or girl," and you're probably going to get a bunch of kids that can't sit still and pay attention. That's why I always pull out my secret weapon! Just 10-15 minutes of calisthenics and you'll have most of the kids tuckered out and ready to take a break. Best thing to do is to make it a game, "I bet you can't do 100 jumping jacks!" or "I bet I can do more push-ups than you!" And BAM, you're off to the races.

In my Sunday School class this week, I employed this technique and got to thinking, as I was huffing and puffing at the end, "I wonder how many folks could benefit for just 15 minutes of calisthenics and don't realize it?" Our society thinks exercise is all "No pain no gain" or "you gotta feel the burn" that most adults would never think that just 15 minutes of jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups and running in place could improve their health and their mood.

-Joe

Share |

03-14-2011, 11:32 AM

I think anything over five minutes is great and maybe all that is necessary. Ten will keep anybody in better shape than the high 90's percent of their age group after age thirty.

The nosdiet guy with his shovelglove theory is 14 minutes. His idea is 14 is not even 15, which he thinks is the smallest unit of usable time.

For that matter, two or three minutes would probably keep you in the top thirty percent of any older age group.

The reason I mention age groups after thirty is that youth has such natural fitness that hasn't been covered by years of sloth yet.

Tom

Share |

03-14-2011, 12:48 PM

10 minutes a day of Physiological exercise is what Swoboda recommended. It is something that most people will keep up with and is physically, mentally, and emotionally strengthening and energizing.

Share |

Author

03-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Hey Joe,

Your post made me smile. When I was kid in grade school our whole school would go down to the gym at 9:am every morning and do a series of exercises to a phonograph record called "Chicken Fat". It featured the voice of Robert Preston, who at that time was popular for the movie "The Music Man". It was about 7 minutes long and was great fun to do. Here are some of the lyrics from the short version:
"Chicken Fat"
Touch down
Every morning
Ten times!
Not just
Now and then.
Give that chicken fat
Back to the chicken,
And don't be chicken again.
No, don't be chicken again.

Push up
Every morning
Ten times.
Push up
Starting low.
Once more on the rise.
Nuts to the flabby guys!
Go, you chicken fat, go away!
Go, you chicken fat, go!

Left! Left! Left! Left!
Left a good pound and a quarter.
Was it right, right that it should be left?
Yes, I left! Left! Left! Left!
Left a good pound and a quarter.
It was right (left), right (left) that it should be left!

Now, touch your toes with me. Ready!

Touch down (up)
Every morning (down)
Ten times!
(Three!) Not just (up)
(Four!) Now and then (up)
(Five!) Give that (up) chicken fat
(Six!) Back to the (up) chicken and
(Seven!) Don't be (up) chicken (Eight!) again
(up) No, (Nine!) don't be (up) chicken again. (Ten...halt!)

Hit the dirt! Hit!
Push ups next,
Nice and steady.
Not too fast.
Ready!

Push up (down)
Every morning (up)
Ten times!
Push up,
Starting low.
(Down! That's five.) Once more (down) on the rise
(Six!) Nuts to the (down) flabby guys.
(Seven!) Go, you (down) chicken fat, (Everybody sing!) go away.
Go, you chicken fat, go!

---John Peterson

Share |

Banned

03-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Joe is an evil Genius! Tired kids are easy to control lol! Joe most Americans need 15 minutes of exercise per day and the kids do also.

John our generation had recess daily and many times Gym daily, that was probably to help the teachers control us, Joe is right on; but it made the day better. In New York we had morning and afternoon recess and Gym daily or 3 times a week for some. The Baby Boomer's meant many more classes, a whole series of Kindergarten classes on up.

Share |

03-14-2011, 01:44 PM

John,

I remember this in the 60s in Elementary School.

Here is a version with a bunch of kids doing the exercises. HAHAHA! Good stuff!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ3Gy...eature=related

Monty

Share |

03-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Joe,

What is really frustrating about this is in some schools they are cutting recess. By the time they get to high school many kids especially the girls at the school I teach at are lazy and whiners. I really believe this is due to poor PE teachers who are afraid of parent phone calls or the Adm. who stonewall the PE teachers from doing anything physical because little Suzie gets winded and her parents do not like it.

In my district the physical activity gets shorter and shorter as they get older and only have to take only one year of PE once in high school.

And we wonder why kids are fat and are showing signs of heart disease as young as 8.
Sad!!
Monty
P.S.- Diabetes is the fastest growing disease among school age kids.

Share |

Legacy Member

03-14-2011, 02:01 PM

Monty, we give kids processed sugar and carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner AND don't let them exercise and we wonder why they're getting fat, unhealthy and have trouble concentrating in class!

-Joe

Share |

03-19-2011, 10:16 PM

i think everyone can benefit from 15 minutes a day. i have developed my fintess or better yet improved my fitness by doing 1,2 or more 15 minutes workouts a day. it all started because my mornings were very early and i really didnt have a lot of time for personal fitness so i started doing at least 10 sets of pushups while i was getting ready. it never tookm more than 15 minutes and that kinda became a goal. then i did my DSR's later in the day, which also took around 15 minutes, to finish it off, sometimes id do another push or pull up workup in the evening. suprisingly i was totally spent at the end of my 15 minutes minui workout but i pushed harder thus i got better results. so yea joe im all about the 15 minute blitz as i call them. maybe ill post one of my typicle 15 minute blitz routines.

Share |