Share |
What Makes You So Sure There Is A God?

Author

05-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Hey Friends,

A guy that claims to be an agnostic is telling me that he finds it highly offensive that I express my faith on our forum and wonders what makes me so certain that there is a God to begin with. He says, "Great minds like physicist Stephen Hawking think the fairy tales that men like you believe are nothing more than fantasies contrived by people that are afraid to die." Furthermore he wonders, " Why do you believe redemption is specifically through Jesus Christ alone? Don't you realize that there are leading Christian ministers like Billy Graham, Joel Osteen, and Rick Warren that believe that Jesus is not necessarily the only way? What gives you the notion that you know more than they do?"

First off, "Do I know more?" Answer: Jesus Christ said in John 14:6, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. I take Jesus Christ at His Word. If those other men named don't believe that Jesus is the only way, they will eventually find out how wrong they are. And personally, I couldn't care less about how famous they are. If they in fact are denying the deity of Jesus Christ they will have to answer for it.

Now let me make a point here. God's word says, in Psalm 14:1 "The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” So I won't argue the existence of God with a fool regardless of whether or not he happens to be a world renown physicist.

And as far as those who are on the fence that say, "I believe there is a God but I don't see any proof about who He is.", I have this to say. In the book of James it states in Chapter 2:19, "19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. "
Are demons real? Indeed they are; and the church has rediscovered the reality
and activity of demons. Eph 6:12 states "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
Yet demons “have faith!” There is not a demon in the universe who is
an atheist! Some demons have better theology than we do!
They believe in the existence of God; they are neither atheists or
agnostics! They believe in the deity of Christ. They even “witnessed”
of Him: Whenever they met Christ when He was on the earth, they bore
witness to His Sonship (Mk 3:11-12; Mt 8:29-34; Lk 8:26-37). They knew,
and acknowledged, the existence of a place of punishment (Lk 8:31; Mt
8:29); They recognized Jesus Christ as the Judge (Mk 5:1-13).
They submit to the power of His Word. They were not just touched in
their intellect, they were touched in their emotions: “they believe and
tremble.”
It is not a confirming experience to just tremble [or roll on the
ground and bark...].
A person can be enlightened in his mind and stirred in his heart and still
be lost forever. True saving faith involves something more, something
that can be seen and recognized: a changed life. Hell will have its
share of monotheists, Trinitarians, orthodox, and the lost.
Anyone that chooses not believe is free to believe anything they wish.
At least during this lifetime. You see the day is coming when according to
Philippians 2:9-11
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Bottom line: Every one has a choice you can acknowledge Christ now or wait until it's too late. but you will acknowledge Him one way or the other.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

05-16-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
"Great minds like physicist Stephen Hawking think the fairy tales that men like you believe are nothing more than fantasies contrived by people that are afraid to die."
So that is what Stephen Hawking believes? Interesting. Well, maybe he is right, sort of. He has it a little backwards. Death has no fear for me because of what I believe.

I found an interesting quote by Hawking.

Quote:
There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority [imposed dogma, faith], [as opposed to] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works.
On the converse, this is what the apostle Paul said.

Quote:
...since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
I believe there is more than a little reasonableness in what the Apostle Paul said.

Greg Newton

Last edited by Greg Newton; 05-16-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Share |

05-16-2011, 03:48 PM

It seems to me that it takes greater faith to believe that this universe is a product of chance that it takes to believe in a loving intelligence behind all this. I believe, without any reservation, on the existence of God, but I don’t try to convince anyone. Each must come to this realization on their own. Sooner or later they will find the truth.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
He says, "Great minds like physicist Stephen Hawking think the fairy tales that men like you believe are nothing more than fantasies contrived by people that are afraid to die." Furthermore he wonders,
Well... how about this for a fairy tale.... Billions and billions of years ago in the middle of space ( which we have no idea came about ) everything in the universe ( which we have no idea came from ) was concentrated into a small particle, exploded into what we have today....

I believe that it takes lessfaith to believe that God Created the universe than to believe the Big Bang Theory....

Share |

05-16-2011, 06:34 PM

John, I must say, I have never read anything so brilliant about demons, as what you wrote in your post!

I have known people who didn't believe in God, but when their lives were in some sort of terrible danger, suddenly they were crying out for help from a God they didn't even believe in. And guess what. The God that didn't exist, answered, and saved them from their fears. One man I knew was in danger of drowning, and when he called out to God, God clearly saved him from the shipwreck. Another man I knew was in danger of going to jail for 20 years. He prayed to a God he didn't believe in, in fact he didn't really pray, he cursed God as his prayer ("God, if you are real, you will get me out of this mess"), and not only did God tell him He loved him, but when the man got to the trial the next day, the evidence was missing, and he was saved from going to jail. Both of those men gave their lives to God because God gave them back their lives. These are true stories from people I actually met. I am sure many on the forum have stories too, either of your own, or of people you have met.

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Legacy Member

05-16-2011, 07:52 PM

Everyone has some interesting thoughts on this subject. One thing does keep coming to my mind and that is about Hawking's statement about observation and reason. Another quote, this time from the prophet Isaiah comes to mind:

Quote:
Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
I have faith, not because I have some cringing, mewling fear of death. No, I have faith because I came to a point in my life where I realized that I wasn't smarter and more sophisticated than the one who placed me in my mother's womb, and that I was tired of messing my life up again and again. I don't have any problem admitting that I need a redeemer.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

05-16-2011, 07:52 PM

Hawking is not the great mind he is portrayed to be. He's someone that people are told is very smart and does work that is so complex that you wouldn't understand it anyhow. He's become a kind of Pope for the Church of Reason; infallible and unquestionable.

His recent rants against God and religion show a window into the mind of a very bitter and nihilistic man who only wants it all to end. I pity him greatly.

-Joe

Share |

05-16-2011, 10:00 PM

It is impossible for me to believe how anyone can take into consideration the complexity, order, and wonder of the universe and not believe in God.

Share |

05-17-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
It is impossible for me to believe how anyone can take into consideration the complexity, order, and wonder of the universe and not believe in God.
Very well stated. My sentiments exactly.

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Banned

05-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Back when I was in College the Physicists at our University were all believers in the Lord of various faiths. One Professor had worked on the H Bomb Project and was a devout man. As Joe noted belief in the Singulary is now in vogue among scientists. Belief is in our hearts and souls, if the Big Bang (the Singularity) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang occured where did the original single atom come from, why did it change? Did God make it? We who believe are as Greg noted at a advantage, we know what is coming. One question arises, many scientists believe man is hard wired, ie programmed to believe in God, who did that is the question http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...995465,00.html

Share |