Share |
What role does ancestry have in diets?

Legacy Member

08-09-2011, 10:25 AM

I've been reading a lot of anthropology lately and it gets me to thinking what role ancestry has in diets. For thousands of years races of people lived off specific diets and then in the blink of an eye we suddenly all have access to foods all over the world. Columbus discovering the New World alone introduced incredible change to the world's diet.

How many people know that it was the Inka who cultivated the potato and that before the potato came around, grains were basically the only starchy carbohydrates in Europe.

Greeks and Roman's had vastly different diets from the Celts. The Mediterranean cultures had lots of wine, fruits, vegetables, grains, meat and dairy. Celts mostly ate meat, grains and beer. Mongolians ate almost all meat and dairy, with virtually no vegetables. Similarly The Inuits eat almost all meat in the form of seafood. But then you have Indians who were at times entirely vegetarians. Then there's the Chinese and Japanese, who primarily ate not only grains but pretty much only one kind of grain; rice.

Does any of this history effect us today? Should we Celts avoid potatoes since they weren't indigenous to our lands? Stick with beer, bread and beef? And what about the Italians? Should they drop the tomatoes sauce since it's an American fruit? Or did the Mongolians have it right the whole time and we should just be eating lamb and only lamb day in and day out? Genghis Khan was no slouch after all! But then, neither was Julius Caesar and yet even he said of the mighty Celts that if they could organize then no force in the universe could stand against them.

-Joe

Share |

08-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Interesting post JOE. I dont know if it tells what we should eat but it may play into what we do eat. Like our parents parents atte this as staple foods so we kinda fall back to those foods.
As far as ancestry whzt.about folks like me...im creole and cajun yea thats a big ole mess of races id be hard pressed to do a diet nased off ancestry, unless I only eat gumbo.and jambalaya.....lol great discussion Joe, but really someone in my situation, what would I do.

Share |

08-09-2011, 12:09 PM

I am not sure to what degree diet and ancestry are related. Ancestry definitely affects our genetics though and they have a very powerful influence on us.

"Why the Reckless Survive" is a book by biogeneticist Melvin Konner, M.D., Ph.D. The following quote from that book is very powerful as to the role of our individual genetics in each of our lives:

"First we need to realize that to no small extent we are who we are when we are conceived. To deny this fact is to deny the very essence of human individuality. We seek our environments and we determine them as much as they determine us."

Share |

Banned

08-09-2011, 12:24 PM

The Problem with Ethnicity is we are all like Armour, even if we do not know it. In Economic Statistics we learned that all Europeans are realated to the Apostles, 12 men times 2000 years and a Geometric progression is astounding, that includes all Europeans, N. Africans, Middle Easterners. Genetics tell us the Irish are cousins of the Berbers and Peoples of North Africa. Jews flooded into the Roman Empire, as well as other Middle Easterners and Ancient Egyptians, Barbarians tried to hold the Empire together and fought in the Legions. Alexander the Great took over much of North Africa and the Middle East, and Persia, and later Demetrius conquered Northern India extending the Empire. The Spanish Armada failed and depositied Spanish and Italian men into Ireland, the Vikings conquered Ireland, and then later the British. German, Polish, Slavic soldiers fought for Kings, the Slavs intermingled with the Southern and Northern Europeans. We are all brothers and we are all Armourplated! Mongols conquered parts of Europe and Europeans went all over the World. Where my fmaily comes from in Italy there are three major languages, Italian, Greek and Albanian, and there were other groups there also, from Normans and ancient Germans to the Spanish ruling the Two Sicilies.

Joe might have a good idea, maybe our bodies adopted to the type of food we should eat, the age of famring is new and were Humans were Herders and Hunter Gathers just yesterday in Human time on Earth. Joe I have read some thought the Tomato and Potato were known to the Ancient Greeks and Romans, but then Cocaine was found in the mummies of the Pharaohs of Egypt and that to comes from the Americas.

Last edited by MikeNY; 08-09-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Share |

Author

08-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Hey Joe,

Great to see you post. As usual you are right on the mark.

Example: when I was a kid I read one of my grandfathers books about the American frontier artist George Catlin. Catlin stated that the most perfectly developed race of people that he had ever seen were the Cheyenne of the American plains. He said they were like living, breathing statues from the Grecian Golden age and that their diet consisted chiefly of Bison meat and very little else.

I think you are absolutely correct about most of us having a heredity that favors certain types of foods.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

It's interesting that if you take a look at Roman history and their conquests, it's pretty clear they were physically inferior to the barbarians by their own admissions. It was always through superior strategy that the Greeks and Romans conquered.

But then you look at the nomadic Mongolian warrior and they were quite the opposite. Genghis Khan acquire his empire through brutal, crushing force, followed by a reign of horror.

The more nomadic/barbaric the people, the more powerful they seem to be physically. And for another example, just take a look at the Berserkers!

-Joe

Share |

Banned

08-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Glad to have you back Joe!

I must respectfully disagree Joe, the Romans were larger then we think, have read the average Legionaire was 5'8" and they were well fed, exercisds using a system very close to Atlas and Transformetrics, the Germans were so impressed with the Legions they made up a theory, that the Centurions wearing the Wolf skin hat & combined cape were proof that the Romans were Werewolves and unstopable.

Queen Boudica's Army of 100,000 faced one Legion of less then six thousand and was defeated and 80,000 killed. This site says 1200 Romans but I disagree with the site http://womenshistory.about.com/od/bo...p/boudicca.htm This was a major defeat and the British Barbarians were well respected fighters. My thoery is tactics and organization played a role but these were soldiers trained using John's mthods,raw strength and endurance! Here is a second historical site http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopic...ca-243804.html I've seen some use the figure 20,000 Romans at that battle but suspect the 6,000 Roman Legionaires is factural.

Share |

08-10-2011, 05:02 PM

The program on Queen Boudica was one of the most interesting ever on The History Channel

Share |

Banned

08-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Gordon in a day and age of fighting men the System the Romans and Greeks used was the secret, but I suspect the Ancient Egyptians, Middle Easterners, Persians, Indians and Chinese all used similar training. I'd say the Legions were built on something like the Atlas Course, DVR and Isometrics. Pankration has Isometric DVR Boxing movements, slow motion muscle tension exercises same as Kung fu and Karate. Roman Gyms were training halls, sand pits for wrestling and baths not like our machine filled Gyms.

Share |