Share |
Big thick thighs

01-11-2019, 07:11 AM

Hey Men,

I haven't posted in awhile but im in need of some advice. Some of you know i was an avid runner but last year I tore my meniscus during a trail half marathon. After numerous doctors visits it was determined that i didn't need surgery and i should start getting back to my every day routine. Running still aggravated my knee, i hate gyms, so i took a page out of pro wrestler Bob Backlund's book. I started doing the Harvard Step Test on a 10 inch bench (im only 5'6") for 1,000 reps each morning before work. When I get home I try to do at least 400 reps for various ab exercises, 500 squats and 300-500 pushups. Lately ive been implementing some high rep dumbbell rows and pullovers for the lats. After approximately 4 months of this my thighs have gotten noticeably thicker. They are hard as steel but just too thick to be aesthetically pleasing. Do you all think i should drop the squats? Im not a fighter or grappler or anything, i just want to be lean and physically fit. Do you think the steps cover both cardio and leg development? By the way i also try to walk daily. Thank you for reading!
John

Share |

01-11-2019, 08:26 AM

You can get the same result and quicker with wall sits up to 2 to 5 minutes holds with your heel raised and squat and lunge holds for 1 to 2 minutes.

I have two meniscus issues and the isometrics have really helped.

Jay Shroader a guy who trains pro athletes using isometrics gets guys to increase their bench by 100 pounds doing push up holds for up to 5 minutes.

He had a women do 5 minute wall sits with feet elevated and and she used this as part of her training to run across the USA.

See Isometrics train the muscles that take over after the primary muscle starts to fatigue.

I also have seen my legs get a tad bigger and more cut due to the sits and using the belt doing dead-lifts and lunge holds for 30 to 60 seconds. Use to have to bike 100 a week to get the same look but now with just a few minutes a day i get the same results and this is no bull s..t.

My workouts are body weight and isometrics and have put on 25 pounds the last 10 years at 60 due to this type of training

Monty

Share |

Author

01-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Hello weaponX,

If your goal is to achieve a leaner and more highly defined look then follow Monty's advice. Isometrics will sculpt the muscles as nothing else can or does. The wall sit is amazing as is performing and holding a nose-to-mat bridge for 3 minutes. Believe me you'll be awed at the strength and definition of hips, glutes, thighs and calves as a result.

---John Peterson

Share |

01-11-2019, 11:26 PM

Yes. Get rid of the squats. Listen to Monty and John. Strong legs with a decent shape.

I had large "quadzilla" legs from years of heavy squats, decided they looked like crap and didn't offer much but a more difficult than necessary clothing buying experience.. I quit squatting and the only thigh strength workout I did was 1x10 lunges with only body-weight 2 days a week. I walked 5 days per week 1 to 1.5 miles as fast as I could. I wear straight or normal fit jeans now. Previously it was at least relaxed if not loose fit and as far as dress pants, they had to be pleated which only served to make my lack of an ass look even worse. I still don't have an ass, but I'm going to target growing some glutes. So as not to dilute this thread I'm going to start one about glutes.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
You can get the same result and quicker with wall sits up to 2 to 5 minutes holds with your heel raised and squat and lunge holds for 1 to 2 minutes.

I have two meniscus issues and the isometrics have really helped.

Jay Shroader a guy who trains pro athletes using isometrics gets guys to increase their bench by 100 pounds doing push up holds for up to 5 minutes.

He had a women do 5 minute wall sits with feet elevated and and she used this as part of her training to run across the USA.

See Isometrics train the muscles that take over after the primary muscle starts to fatigue.

I also have seen my legs get a tad bigger and more cut due to the sits and using the belt doing dead-lifts and lunge holds for 30 to 60 seconds. Use to have to bike 100 a week to get the same look but now with just a few minutes a day i get the same results and this is no bull s..t.

My workouts are body weight and isometrics and have put on 25 pounds the last 10 years at 60 due to this type of training

Monty
Hey Monty,
What’s your protocol for the daily wall sits? i.e. how many sets are you doing?

Share |

01-14-2019, 10:50 AM

GBJJ,

On Mon, Wed, Fri. I do 2 minute wall sit with heals elevated, rest 30 sec, then 90 sec, rest 30s then 1 minute.

On Tues. Thurs, Sat. I do 90 sec squat hold, short rest then 1 minute lunge hold with heel elevated both sides then a wide squat heels elevated for 1 minute.
Everyday after I finish my upper body Iso Belt I do 30 to 60 second dead lift with the belt and Lunge pulling on the belt.
So work my legs daily with one day off.
Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

01-14-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
GBJJ,

On Mon, Wed, Fri. I do 2 minute wall sit with heals elevated, rest 30 sec, then 90 sec, rest 30s then 1 minute.

On Tues. Thurs, Sat. I do 90 sec squat hold, short rest then 1 minute lunge hold with heel elevated both sides then a wide squat heels elevated for 1 minute.
Everyday after I finish my upper body Iso Belt I do 30 to 60 second dead lift with the belt and Lunge pulling on the belt.
So work my legs daily with one day off.
Monty
Thanks Monty!
-Jon

Share |

01-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
rt rest then 1 minute lunge hold with heel elevated both sides then a wide squat heels elevated for 1 minute.
Monty, when you do the 30-60 second iso deadlift. Do you do maximum contraction which of course would start out with a lot of force and diminish as your motor units tired, or do you start with a lesser force and try to use that same force for the whole time - understanding even this is a bit of guesswork as you can always hold an iso against a strap for the required time it just may be with less force than you started with.

Share |

01-14-2019, 12:50 PM

Yes I slowly put on tension and then give it my best effort to break the strap at the last few seconds. Same with the lunge.

Share |

01-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Thank you for all the advice. Ill incorporate some isometrics, drop the high rep squats and continue with the stepping and walking for cardio.

Share |