Share |
Take our pills rather than their pills

12-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Hey, John,
Iíve been reading up on some of the ideas behind anti-aging medicine, bio-identical hormone replacement, and supplementation. The ideas sound good: replace what is no longer in nature, rebuild to avoid deterioration. In theory, it should work.
However it sounds like we are supposed to trade out the pharmaceuticals for an exhausting regimen of nutriceuticals: Multiple shots in the morning, handfuls of pills to three times a day, IV infusions of Vitamin C and constantly checking your blood levels month to month.
And itís not cheap, nor covered by any insurance.
So, John, I know youíre a Doctor of Naturopathy, thus I wanted to get your opinion. Where do you start? Do you have to shave your head and move to Utah, eating only roots and berries you've grown yourself using bottled water? Or is just popping a Multi-vitamin from Walmart enough?
I also know we have an incredibly knowledgeable group of forum folk that I would love to hear from on this.

Thanks,
Cliff

Share |

Banned

12-31-2009, 09:36 AM

Donna I think just following the natural ways of health taught on this forum go a long way to making your productive years strech out. Then add the miracle of Positive Thinking and actions and you get a boost. I've seen people seem to drop years through healthy exercise and diet.

I've an interest in immortality, or was that immorality lol. DVR/VRT, Isometrics, Powerflexing, Powerflex, the M7, Yoga and Kung fu & Qigong all may delay the onset of premature aging. Meditation alone is a great step forward. A life of inner disciplne makes things easier on the road of aging. Finally Prayer and communion with our God helps, I;ve come to see the same God in most faithes, just the name changes.

I'll have to get that striaght which path I seek immortality or Immorality

Share |

Legacy Member

12-31-2009, 09:47 AM

Isn't there a strong correlation between hormone replacement and certain cancers?

-Joe

Share |

Author

12-31-2009, 10:23 AM

Hello Cliffa74,

There are many, many people that want to believe that there is some secret "Fountain of Youth" that will in some way guarantee them youthful immortality. And naturally, there are plenty of marketers out there that will take advantage of their desire. But the truth is, there is no fountain of youth. Still, there are certain things that each of us can do to maintain youthful strength and fitness to our natural pre-set genetic limits.

You mention bio-identical hormone replacement. On the surface this may sound good but in reality there are problems with it. For instance when we become reliant on artificially injected hormones we shut down our own body's ability to produce that hormone. This is why I do believe that eating the highest quality food that one possibly can, along with taking the highest quality supplements that replace the nutrients that are deficient in our food supply is a very good idea. By giving our body's the elements they need and exercising in a way that works with our body's and not against them, we can stimulate natural hormone production and maintain youthful strength and vigor right up to our pre-programmed genetic limit.

From my perspective, I believe that we each have a pre-programmed genetic limit that has been given to us by God. I don't believe that it is possible for any of us to go beyond what God has appointed. But I do believe that we can eliminate many of the causes that would otherwise abbreviate our lives long before our genetic limit is reached.This is where good nutrition, the right kind of exercise, thinking and maintaining a positive thought life and outlook, not having self destructive habits, and maintaining a strong Spiritual relationship with The Lord can make all the difference in the world.

So, am I for maintaining strength and youthfulness as long as possible? You bet. But I am also aware that this existence and this lifetime were only meant to be temporary.

---John Peterson

Share |

Tags
nutrition, supplements