Share |
Assembling a nutritious lunch

Legacy Member

01-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
Here's my experience:
Whats good for the gander is good for the goose, so I'm going to give you the same nudge (push?) I've given Tom. Don't be afraid to start a new thread with your own experiences. Tom's fear of information overload aside, many people like to read about first-hand knowledge and experience.

-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 01-12-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo

Share |

01-12-2010, 03:29 PM

!!!!!!!!

Tom

Oops. I got up-posted. This refers to Joe's ad copy funny.

It takes me forever to find the correct smilies (sp).

Last edited by tom; 01-12-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
You wouldn't like IF anyway Joe. No breakfast and no snacks (well maybe occasionally).
So what? There are over 2,500 registered users to this forum and if you notice we usually have at least three times as many non-registered guest as members reading at any given time. So what does it matter if I like it or not? Expand your horizons, my friend. No one's going to mock you try to belittle your experience here, feel free to share.

From what I can gather so far, IF is simply not eating breakfast. Which I assume isn't totally accurate since this thread is about lunch. So we're all waiting with bated breath.

Tom, I'll take a bow for that one. I thank you, I thank you.

-Joe

Share |

01-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Great thread,

In my experience, the only time I've successfully dropped weight (30lbs) was when I started focusing on eating fruit in the morning and stopped eating cereals, bread, etc. I also did occasional full days of just fruit and/or veggies. Seems like Tom & Donna are onto something and that our bodies do like to occassionaly take a break from hard to digest foods.

Lately I've been doing smoothies (w/ whey protein) in the mornings and I'm starting to drop some of the excess weight I need to lose.

Keep up the great thread everyone, I'd love to hear others stories.

Jon

Share |

01-12-2010, 05:53 PM

Leftover three bean chili for me.
I tossed it in some spring-mix greens, and threw in some fresh baked corn totillas for an out-of-this-world taco salad.

Share |

Banned

01-12-2010, 08:25 PM

I am still shocked Joe is a good cook! I saw the title and thought Joe is writing a joke thread, and he was going to show 100 ways to eat baloney. Then I saw his breakfast, delicious looking and healthy. Joe is the He Man Chef.

Joe I can't recall the thread but someone mentioned that George Foreman is the greatest inventor of the Modern Age; and loved his George Foreman grill!

Tom don't rush into this, Joe is just pushing. Once you start a thread it is a done deal, think this through! Don't do anything rash! Tom it is alike a girl losing her virginity, once it is gone it is gone, you can not be a little bit virgin and we like you as you are. Joe be nice to Tom. I start to many threads Tom; do you want to end up a loser like me

Share |

01-13-2010, 12:52 AM

I have at least one thing in common with Tom: I am lazy and hate to cook. Keeping meals boring means one less thing to have to stress about. My meals are exactly the same every day with minor seasonal variations, as follows.

Breakfast:
1 piece of fruit in season
1 slice of 100% whole-wheat sunflower-seed bread-machine bread with butter or avocado, and thinly grated raw garlic sprinkled on top if I am not going to see anyone for the next 8 hours.

Lunch:
salad: parsley, coriander, and dill, with assorted raw veggies, with dressing of olive oil + lemon juice
1 slice of whole wheat bread
whatever meat and vegetable is left over from yesterday

Dinner:
1 apple, chopped, topped with a generous amount of goat yogart and granola.
1 slice of whole wheat bread

NO SNACKS. I am with Donna on this one. Snacks don't make me feel good for some reason.

The April Cookbook is one post long. Now, rip me to shreds and tell me how unhealthy my diet is.

Joe, your challenge is to entice me to start cooking something NEW with your tantalizing recipes!

(What does my family eat? Everyone likes different things, which is really annoying. I've given up on trying to make everyone eat the same thing. I cook some generic things, and if they don't like them, they are on their own. Donna, I hope the food issue is easier in your household.)

(I tried red hot chili peppers to replace garlic - not put on bread, but chopped fine and placed carefully in the back of my throat and drunk down like a pill. I didn't taste anything that way. The only problem is that even after you wash your hands, that hot stuff is still on your fingers, and if you touch your nose or eyes you will FEEL it. The advantage of the hot red chili peppers is that they do the same as the garlic, but don't make you smell. I will switch to the chili peppers IF I ever have a job that requires me to go to the office every day. As long as I am mostly at home, I prefer the garlic. I still drink the apple cider vinegar every day, as Greg recommended, and between that and the garlic, I haven't been sick.)

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Legacy Member

01-13-2010, 01:58 AM

April, if it's working for you great. I'm honestly not sure how you're getting all you need from that (nutritionally or calorically), however if it's working for you and you're getting where you want (within limits) then I suppose more power to you. I think a huge thing is that we all approach this from different standpoints and views. Each person after all has their own unique experiences and anecdotes that shape their reality. Even beyond this we all live our own lives, and need diets (as in food needs) that work within that lifestyle framework.

If anything this makes me an even firmer believer in contextualizing the information we give. That is, to make sure we give an idea of what OUR life is like and how the program is working for us. This is a large part of why the "be your own person trainer" is so important. I'll try and expand on this in an upcoming thread, and hopefully it'll help shed a little more light onto some of the theory behind the site.

PS - I'm very much enjoying hearing other peoples experiences, keep em coming folks! Even if it doesn't match my own, it helps to give insight into other things to try and experiment with.

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |

01-13-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omad0n View Post
April, if it's working for you great. I'm honestly not sure how you're getting all you need from that (nutritionally or calorically), however if it's working for you and you're getting where you want (within limits) then I suppose more power to you. I think a huge thing is that we all approach this from different standpoints and views. Each person after all has their own unique experiences and anecdotes that shape their reality. Even beyond this we all live our own lives, and need diets (as in food needs) that work within that lifestyle framework.

If anything this makes me an even firmer believer in contextualizing the information we give. That is, to make sure we give an idea of what OUR life is like and how the program is working for us. This is a large part of why the "be your own person trainer" is so important. I'll try and expand on this in an upcoming thread, and hopefully it'll help shed a little more light onto some of the theory behind the site.

PS - I'm very much enjoying hearing other peoples experiences, keep em coming folks! Even if it doesn't match my own, it helps to give insight into other things to try and experiment with.
Hi Steve, I look forward to hearing more from you. I would be interested to hear if there may be things I really should add to my diet.

I suppose I should mention that as I've gotten older, I find that I simply CANNOT eat a lot. In my younger years I could out-eat just about any guy and not gain weight. But now, at 50, I find that if I overeat or eat more than my normal amount, I feel quite sick. This may also have to do with my recent gall bladder surgery. In addition, maybe because I've been off of "white" foods for so long (white flour, white sugar, white rice, white pototoes) I also feel very sick when I eat them.

I have wondered if I need more of anything, but if so, then the question is how to do that without eating too much for my stomach. When the books talk about how many servings you need a day of all the different food groups, it seems to me like it is really a lot of food.

I am healthy on this diet, and find I have enough strength for everything I need to do. Unlike the men, I am not concerned about building muscle size, so I don't worry about eating things to build muscle. I have wondered, however, about whether taking some of John's supplements would help in just having more strength and stamina to exercise.

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Legacy Member

01-13-2010, 10:34 AM

April,

My $0.02 would be that you might want to increase you intake of protein a bit. Meat, beans, nuts; that kind of stuff. Make sure you get plenty of calcium too, that's very important for women as they age. But I believe your diet looks very healthy.

-Joe

Share |

Tags
diet, joe justice, lunch, nutrition