Share |
Developing Weight Lifting Strength

Author

11-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Hey Friends,

I received an e-mail asking me about whether or not 'The Living Strength Iso-Dynamic Exercise System' would increase weightlifting strength.

Now, to answer that question let me make a point. Weightlifting is a very specific skill that is acquired and mastered through practicing very specific ranges of motion with heavy weight. It's like asking if Iso-Dynamic exercise will increase your ability at swimming or playing golf, baseball, tennis, basketball, archery, or skeet shooting. It certainly won't inhibit your ability with those activities in any way and will make you functionally much stronger from head to toe. But to master ANY of those sports YOU MUST perform the sport itself and master the movements, timing, hand-eye coordination and whatever other skills and abilities are required. By itself the Living Strength Training System will not automatically make you a master of any of those sports or activities.

Bottom line: The Living Strength Iso-Dynamic Exercise System will make you functionally much healthier, stronger, and more enduring but if you want to master a specific skill you will have practice and refine that skill. If you want to be adept at lifting heavy weights you will have to lift heavy weights. There is no other way.

---John Peterson

Share |

11-15-2016, 02:13 AM

I am curious to ask John what exactly do you do to test strength you gain from Isometrics

Share |

Author

11-15-2016, 06:48 PM

Hello JLA_1962,

You are asking a very good question and I don't know the answer.

All I do know is that I am routinely doing a morning exercise routine that most 19 year olds could not match and I attribute it in part to my Isometrics with a Power Belt. I am now in my 65th year.

---John Peterson

Share |

11-15-2016, 09:48 PM

Hey JLA , there are some isometric home gyms out there that measure the force output of your contractions in lbs on a digital screen as you push/pull against the different parts of the machine.

Share |

Author

11-16-2016, 12:32 AM

Steveo81,

I've seen those Isometric Homes Gyms and they are a joke. No way are they even remotely accurate.

---John Peterson

Share |

11-16-2016, 12:46 AM

I was just going to ask that

Share |

Author

11-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Hello JLA_1962,

What I referred to originally was a question that I was asked about developing weight lifting strength and I gave the explanation found in the first part of this thread.

I was specifically addressing weightlifting when I stated:

Quote:
Bottom line: The Living Strength Iso-Dynamic Exercise System will make you functionally much healthier, stronger, and more enduring but if you want to master a specific skill you will have practice and refine that skill. If you want to be adept at lifting heavy weights you will have to lift heavy weights. There is no other way.

Even if you could measure the force of your Isometric Contractions with great accuracy it still would not in any way, shape or form automatically increase your ability at any other activity. IT WILL STRENGTHEN MUSCLES AND TENDONS but application of that strength is by performing the activity itself.

---John Peterson

Share |

11-16-2016, 10:28 AM

John that is a great answer. Lifting weights is a form of "specificity". My experience has been to develop specific skills or abilities you have to practice them. At the same time the practice of Isometric Dynamic Contraction develops a sense of inner strength and gives a feeling of confidence and control that is always with you in everything that you do. It is "Positive Thinking"on steroids.Over the past few years I have specialized in practicing Iso Dynamic Contraction and recently I have been doing Isometrics using the Isometric Power Belt . I keep finding myself developing new strengths and skills in different activities and recently I have become more proficient at directing the Chi energy flows within my body ala The Mighty Atom and Bruce Lee. At age 77 I have already out lived all of the men on both sides of my family and I haven't lived the healthiest of life styles except for the exercise.. At one point I was a chain smoker for 25 years and never missed a party. In my opinion this at least speaks to the possibility that this type of training strengthens "tolerances" as was emphasized by Swami Rama and Paramhansa Yogananda

Last edited by Andy62; 11-16-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Share |

11-27-2016, 12:34 PM

This is actually a good answer because John does not get pulled into the trap of saying that it will help you lift weights.Of course it is all about specificity- you get what you train for.

If you want to be able to clean 100kg then you must practice cleaning 100kg. However that does not mean that it will enhance your overall health fitness in the years to come.

It is all simply about your goals.

At 52 I wish to stay strong and healthy and not sustain injuries that will affect me in decades to come.

Share |

11-27-2016, 01:29 PM

Arthur Saxon "The Iron Master" on weight lifting strength:

"THE usual idea about strength—I mean the idea of the average reader of health magazines—is generally a wrong one. Although a weight-lifter (and weight-lifters are supposed to be very narrow-minded in their views on the subject), I hope that I, personally, am broad-minded enough to recognize that a man does not prove himself an all-round strong man just because he is able to lift a heavy weight, especially when the weight is lifted only once. The following is my diagnosis of real strength: Genuine strength should include not only momentary strength, as proved by the ability to lift a heavy weight once, but also the far more valuable kind of strength known as strength for endurance. This means the ability, if you are a cyclist, to jump on your machine and ride 100 miles at any time without undue fatigue ; if a wrestler, to wrestle a hard bout for half an hour with a good man without a rest, yet without becoming exhausted and reaching the limit of your strength. Apart from sports, enduring strength means that the business man shall stand, without a breakdown, business cares and worries, that he shall be capable, when necessary, of working morning, afternoon and night with unflagging energy, holding tightly in his grasp the reins of business, retaining all the while a clear mind and untiring energy, both of body and brain. The man who can miss a night’s rest or miss a meal or two without showing any ill effect or without losing any physical power is better entitled to be considered a strong man than the man who is only apparently strong, being possessed of momentary strength, which is, after all, a muscle test pure and simple. In the latter case, where a man raises, once only, a heavy weight, all that he proves himself to possess is muscular control and great contractile power, but this does not guarantee sound internal organs, nor does it prove that a man would come out well in an endurance test. The man capable of long feats of endurance should live longest, and such a man will find his powers of more avail in every-day life than the man who has sacrificed vital strength for an extra few eighths of an inch of muscle, and perhaps the ability to raise a few pounds more in a certain position in a weight-lifting test."

Share |