Share |
True Answer On Rep & Set Schedules

Author

09-17-2019, 08:29 PM

Hello Everyone,

It seems as though we are living in a world of extreme confusion that is only becoming more confusing by the day.

Nowhere is this more evident than in the world of Physical Culture.

It seems that everyone inevitably comes to a point where they reach a stalemate in their training at which time they cease to make further progress. It is at this time that the question becomes, "What do I do to get past this?" And it is usually at this point that someone thinks of changing the set and rep strategy or the exercise sequence or introduces new exercises or does a combination of all three.

Seriously, there is no hard and fast reliable answer that is effective across the board. This why I personally enjoyed my many conversations with Dr. Lawrence Morehouse so much. He literally told me that everyone should workout in 8 Week Cycles with a different emphasis on each cycle. The emphasis should be as follows:

Cycle 1) Muscle Building 1 to 3 sets of 15 to 20 reps (Morehouse told me that it is imperative that a combination of contractile intensity and blood infusion into the muscle tissue is necessary to create maximum hypertrophy which is felt like a tightening of the skin surrounding the muscles worked which Morehouse called 'The Key Factor'. "John, in answer to your question, 1 to 3 sets is not carved in stone. Ideally, you might go beyond that up to 5 sets but you must stop when you begin to lose that feeling of the muscle being pumped full of blood.

Cycle2) Endurance work to further enhance the capillarization of the muscle tissue. Sets of 40 or more reps at a greatly reduced level of intensity. Once again this is performed for an 8-Week Cycle. Don't be surprised if you achieve a considerable pump as a result.

Cycle 3) Adding Strength: Ideally, you want the intensity to be such that you start with just a single rep and then work up 3 to 5 sets of 3 to 5 repetitions. Intensity is the keyword here. The more intense the better for the purpose of adding strength. Again we are talking an 8-week cycle.

Morehouse told me that it is fine to take an entire week off between cycles but that after you complete cycle 3 you start over at cycle and you continue this process for 8-week cycles that he seemed to think would always produce enhanced results.

Then there are others like Vince Gironda who believed in 8 sets of 8 reps or even 10 sets of 10 reps.

---John Peterson

Share |