Share |
MUR Workout: Don't ask. Well, ask if you want

05-23-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I like your workout, how long have you been doing it?
Hey, Dino. Been doing this type of workout for years now--5 or six. I've been losing count. But started posting here back when Pierini used to post along with some others. So, I guess I'm a legacy member. But just don't like the legacy title. Started doing the Atlas Situps after I heard that John Peterson started up the GUTS routine. Do them on and off now. Just got an Ab Wheel for 2 bucks. Seems like a lot of people buy these and give up. I can understand why.

But mainly I focus on the Trinity Exercises: the pushups, the squats, and the back bridge. And have seen the need to work on the abdominals. The Ab wheel seems to really be helping. But the main thing is to watch the diet. I'm almost 54 now and don't burn off the calories like I used to. I've noticed your squat routines. You're quite impressive. Good to see your posts.

Scott Silva, also known as WhackyBaby from Baltimore Maryland. Thought you had died and went to heaven. Thanks for the tip on the ab wheel. Seems like you always have the right tip. Appreciate the help. I seem to making progress already. Not too far away from doing one now. Well, maybe a month or so.

Well, today's workout. Didn't do much last week. Got caught up in some other stuff last week and lost track of time. But did get a few workouts in.

TIVI:: a few reps to loosen up the joints.

Squats:
500 in 11:59
499 Tiger Bend, 1 Great Gama Jump Squat

Feeling kind of tired today. Need to get more sleep. But after starting decided to go for 500 in less than twelve. Started off with 38 per minute on the first two. That's when I decided to go for under 12. You have to average around 42 a minute to hit the goal. So I picked it up. Was feeling tired. But at 10 minutes was at 400 squats. Needed to do 100 more to beat twelve. Kicked into high gear averaging a little over 50 a minute to beat it by one second. Threw in 1 jumper just for fun.

Furey Back Bridge
180 count. Need to develop some endurance again on this exercise. Feeling the legs shaking towards the end.

Working in the first 3 of the chest routines and did about 3 ab wheel roll outs on returning home from workout. 8.8 mile round trip bike ride. Averaged about 15 mph on the way out. Not so much on the way back. Faced a head wind. And I was a little tired.

Hank

Last edited by PowerHank; 05-24-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Share |

05-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Tuesday Workout:

Feeling really tired today. Been feeling tired since Sunday. But I think I figured out why today. Apparently, I must have picked up some virus. May have picked it up from some of these deer ticks or perhaps some of the water I drink. I drink straight from a small stream that feeds the Cowashannock. I've been drinking from the stream for about 5 years now, so I've developed a pretty good resistance to any bacteria in the water. You have to be careful to drink from the obviously rapid running water. Make sure to not drink from water that's setting still. But I imagine if you were to put the water under a microscope, you would still see all kinds of varmints swimming around. I never get the runs. But it seems that every one who is brave enough to try the same, does. You have to develop a strong stomach.

And about this time of year the ticks just seem to flock to you. I work out close to where the deer sleep at night, so they are around. Today I picked off about 5 or 6. One had left a welt. Stupid tick. Usually I find a common herb and spread its just around my ankles: it wards them off: some survivalist hint I learned from the Internet. Didn't do that today. And they were all over.

But was feeling pretty weak today. Slept about 8 hours. And then woke up and slept another 4. But didn't want to miss another Wild Wilderness Workout. So off I went.

TIVI: a few reps to limber up the joints.

Pushups
25 Tiger Stretch. Felt like using a Whacky Baby Tip (WBT). For those of you who haven't followed my workouts in the distant past, you'll have to ask Scott Silva also known as Whacky Baby. I originally thought he was Matt Furey posting as Whacky Baby. If you read his workouts while he posted, you would know why.

Squats: 500
493 Tiger Bend, 7 Great Gama Jump Squats.
About 15 - 16 minutes. Didn't have my regular stop watch today. Used my digital bicycle speedometer. No stop watch function on it. Just time. Only cost 9 bucks, so what can you expect.

I was so tired that I started out at 28 per minute. Felt ashamed and got it up to 32 a minute. Too tired to think about rpm's. But must have averaged around 31 a minute or so by the time I was done.

MILOS:
2 sets of 3. Feeling so tired didn't feel like 2 sets of 10.

Furey Back Bridge:
180 count.

And then I laid down for a relaxing rest. Felt much better. Took it easy on the 4.4 mile ride back concentrating on deep breathing on the way back.

Have more energy now than I had this afternoon. So, I expect to feel pretty good tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

Hank

Share |

Legacy Member

05-26-2011, 05:55 PM

PowerHank, I know what your saying about not burning the calories like you use to, Im in the same boat, I will be 53 in Aug. I am thinking of doing a workout like yours, the trinity, and pull-ups, quick, hits all the muscles groups, and the hindu push-up works my shoulders really good, I have real bad shoulders, I am also thinking of adding the ab wheel back into my routine, the one thing I like about the ab wheel is I also feel it in my whole upper body, thank you again for the information,

Share |

05-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
PowerHank, I know what your saying about not burning the calories like you use to, Im in the same boat, I will be 53 in Aug. I am thinking of doing a workout like yours, the trinity, and pull-ups, quick, hits all the muscles groups, and the hindu push-up works my shoulders really good, I have real bad shoulders, I am also thinking of adding the ab wheel back into my routine, the one thing I like about the ab wheel is I also feel it in my whole upper body, thank you again for the information,
Really, you're 53. I thought you were in your twenties at the most. DinoGoalie, I guess you play goalie. I don't know if you played soccer or hockey, but I played goalie for my soccer team in college. Strong legs come in handy for jumping for those balls. Yes, the Hindu Pushups (Tiger Stretch) are a regenerative exercise. I like the ab wheel. Seems like in the short time I've been using it--and for what little I do of it--it seems to provide quick and rapid results: Either that or the fact that I've cut my diet way back. Seems my biggest problems is those new $1.35 Hershey Chocolate Almond Bars and Pepsi Cola. Boy, those sure taste good. I'd probably could have a couple of thousand dollars saved up by now, if I had laid that money aside.

Well, today's workout.

I'm still tired. I do feel better. But felt hot today and decided to take my temperature this morning just for fun. Took me awhile to read the mercury: I rarely use it. But this morning started out at 100.7 degrees. But I didn't feel too bad; so, I went for a Wild Wilderness Workout (WWW). I even felt halfway decent and somewhat pushed the bike ride out. Decided not to climb the big hill of Armstrong County: I say hill, because I grew up in Colorado and know what a mountain looks like.

But I parked the bike at one of my favorite spots and decided to cross the creek to the other side. It's been awhile since I worked out over at one of my other favorite spots where the bear almost ate me. So, I took off my Camo boots and wool socks and stripped down to my workout shorts and crossed the stream pants tied across my neck and boots in hand in my bare feet. I wouldn't have even attempted this a week ago. The water has been consistently high and the water passes very rapidly over a small concentrated area: which basically means that likelihood of being washed downstream attempting to cross would have been about 100 percent here. But the water was still about a foot higher than the preferred crossing depth. So, I'm carefully walking across and notice the waters up to my thighs: usually not above my knees.

But I've quite a bit of experience crossing here and cross to what appears to be the dry rock on the other side. However, I was kind of tentative. I know there's a layer of mud and moss on top of that smooth rock that can quickly change the footing. But I said, "Looks dry to me."

So, I place my left, wet foot on the rock. Next thing I know the water on my foot combines with the dry looking mud and moss and I'm slipping down the stream. Oh no. I dig my fingernails into the gently sloping rock face which only has a couple of inches of water: to no avail. I rapidly slide about 20 feet 'till I reach a small ledge and plant my feet. That was exciting. That was an adrenaline rush. I ought to do this more often. I really feel good now despite my fever.

But I settle into my workout and get started for the day.

TIVI:
a few reps.

Pushups:
Tiger Stretch - 15
I must be weaker than I than I thought. I stopped for a Whacky Baby Tip on 15 (WBT). But decided just to stop.
Onto the squats.

Squats:
250 Tiger Bend. Was going for five hundred. But since I was really feeling drained despite the adrenaline rush, I just quit. I was pondering doing a Furey Back Bridge. But said since I'm apparently more drained than I thought, I just quit at 250--averaging about 30 - 33 minute. And I decide to do a tree walk.

Tree Walk:
This is the WWW version of a Wall Walk. I do one and about faint after coming back to a standing position. That's it. I was going to go for a swim but am too tired.

I decide to walk across to the side on which the bear was before I told him to leave. Big bear. Real big black bear. But black bears are kind of skittish and don't usually bother you like a grizzly or a brown bear would. No problems crossing here. I know most of the terrain by heart under the water's surface here, so I know where to be careful.

Ride back home. Nobody stole my bike. Don't have to walk. It's a good day.

Take my temperature again when I arrive home: I'm at 101.4 degrees: an increase of .7 degrees. So, I decide to go and buy 4 pounds of oranges and make some hot tea with honey to fight the fever. Plan to drink a stiff brew of steeping hot water with Apple Cider Vinegar before I hit the sack. Usually, does the trick and sweats the fever out of you. Didn't work last night so I'm heating up the water tonight after finishing off the rest of the oranges.

I'll probably feel better tomorrow, but who knows. We'll see.

Hank

Yesterday's workout: I didn't post. Just hit the sack.
But here it is more or less.
25 Tiger Stretch, 500 Squats, and a Furey Back Bridge.

Last edited by PowerHank; 05-26-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

05-28-2011, 09:02 PM

PowerHank, your right dynogoalie30, is from my hockey days, I play goalie, but now I just play roller hockey, because 5 yrs. ago I suffered a detached retina, not from playing hockey, it just happeened, so I cant play ice anymore because the puck is heavier than a roller hockey puck,, and if I get dinged by a slapshot,it could be re-detached,I have to say that the hindu squats are terrific for stamina and endurance, some nights I will play 2 games and Im not breathing hard.Im going to start the ab wheel again, I would like to find a single wheel ab wheel, but cant seem to find one, So I guess you pretty much do the trinity everyday?Do any do any pull-ups or chin ups?Your posts are great so keep them coming. Its great to see guys our age as well as John and the others members take our fitness serious. Yuor also right about certain weakness in our diets, mine is hersheys toll house choclate chips cookies. like the lays potatochips commerical, You just cant have one.

Share |

06-09-2011, 04:27 PM

I'm finally back from the valley of the shadow of death. No, it wasn't that bad. But I haven't been hit that hard by a bug in about 35 years.

But feeling a little bit better each day this week. The body is finally starting to level out again. I'm just waiting for my energy levels to get back up where they were before this bug zapped 'em.

Was hit once by the 'El Dengue' mosquito virus about 35 years ago. Had a 104 - 106 fever for two straight weeks. So, this wasn't that bad. I only hit 101.8 with this bug. At least I've been up and walking around and able to work. But I feel I'm still at less than 50% of where I was before I was hit.

But decided to take a hike out and do another Wild Wilderness Workout (WWW). I'm just keeping a good eye out for ticks. And I'm making sure that I have plenty of anti bug juice spread around to keep these varmints off of me. They stayed off today.

But I wasn't going to do much today. Just going to show them bugs who was who. Do some regenerative exercises to get the pump primed for future progress and success, Lord Willing. Well, thank God he is able. He satisfieth my mouth with good things so that my youth is renewed as the eagles. And i am feeling better very day.

But today's workout. Not much. Just, like I said, a primer.

TIVI: a few reps to loosen up the joints.

Pushups:
10 Tiger Stretch pushups

Squats: 100 Tiger Bend in 4:30

MILOS: 2 sets of 3

Furey Back Bridge: 10 counts.

And then I tried to stand up and almost fainted. Usually when I get some bug it really hits my reps the hardest in the pushups. Squats don't really effect me that much. unless, I were doing 2 or 3 thousand daily. Then I might notice it. But the speed was down on the squats. Probably could have done 500 easily, but I'm just priming the pump. Not draining it. Probably not a good time to try and push anything.

And I just didn't feel like fighting the bridge to stay up. But it was a good workout. Regenerative. I feel better. Energy levels seem like they picked up about 8% afterwards. And I took a nice fresh plunge in the cool waters of the Cowshannock creek by the big hole just down from WhiteSucker falls. Boy, did that feel good. Hit 96 degrees today in PA. I sweated out a lot of poison and the cool waters really refresh the body and soul.

Well, that's it for the day. It's good to be back on the mend.

Hank.

Share |

Legacy Member

06-12-2011, 12:36 PM

PowerHank, glad that your feeling better, could you give me your recipe with the apple cider vinegar that you take when you get sick? Once or twice a year I get hit with a bug, and it wipes me out. thnaks if you can do that and if you have any other potions that you take when you get sick, I try to stay away from the medicines that you buy in the store, I try to go natural.

Share |

06-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
PowerHank, glad that your feeling better, could you give me your recipe with the apple cider vinegar that you take when you get sick? Once or twice a year I get hit with a bug, and it wipes me out. thnaks if you can do that and if you have any other potions that you take when you get sick, I try to stay away from the medicines that you buy in the store, I try to go natural.
The apple cider vinegar concoction is fairly simple: Fill up a glass of water and add about 3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar. Drink as much water as you can. Then hit the sack. Most of the time it works for me the first night I use it. However, with this last bug I got the mixture ready and was too tired to drink it. Went to bed.
Couple nights later took the mixture and woke up. My trousers were just dripping wet. My blanket was wet and my pillow was soaked. But that's what you should expect to happen with this mixture. You'll wake up soaked with the fever broken.
I have a bunch of remedies. It's kind of a hobby with me. Avoiding doctors. People are always telling me to go to the doctor. But I view sickness as an opportunity for the immune system to become stronger.

One of the other remedies I regularly take for intestinal irregularity is just raw garlic cloves. Chew em up a little bit and swallow them with a glass of water. One or two is usually enough. Garlic has some naturally powerful antibiotic properties along with some healthy doses of protein and other key vitamins. Garlic is probably one of the best herbs to take when sick. Usually the bowels straighten out the next day. But this bug was particularly strong. After the fever broke, I took garlic for about a week before the body started to efficiently digest its food. I was drained. Really drained after this two week fight with the fever and the stomach problems.

It's been about 3 weeks since the end of the fever and stomach bug and this week I now actually feel like I have somewhat normal energy.

So today, I decided to go out for a workout. I found one of my favorite boulders next to the creek and proceeded to work out. It started to rain. But I ignored it and it eventually went away and the sun came out.

Today's workout.

TIVI: a few reps to limber up the limbs.

Pushups:
25 Tiger Stretch Pushups
The last time I worked out was awhile ago. Almost a couple weeks I guess. Was pretty tired. So have been taking it easy. But today finished out 25 fairly easy. Good to feel the strength and endurance coming back.

Chest routines from Pushing Yourself to Power (PYTP)
Worked in about 3 in between sets of Pushups and squats and bridge.

Squats:
500 Tiger Bend in 14:25. Was able to up the count. But still not feeling 100%. Usually can knock out 500 around 12 - 13 minutes.

Furey Back Bridge:
Even had enough energy today to do 180 counts on the back bridge. Feel much better. But still not where I want to be.

Finished up the remaining chest routines and took a cool dip in the waters of the Cowashannock.

Hank

Last edited by PowerHank; 06-23-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Share |

07-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Hey Hank sorry you haven't been feeling too good. Glad to see that you are are getting better though and getting back to the squats. I am still here lurking around just doing daily G.U.T.S an Isometric routine at night. I hope your energy comes back to you. Have a great day.

V/R,
Rudy/Brigade

Share |

08-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Hey, Brigade. The guy who does amazing numbers of pushups now, who leaps over tall buildings, who runs like a deer, who stole all my tips, etc. .....

One of these days, I'm going to get you. And I'm going to kick your can. I can still out squat you. You can probably punch the stuffings out of me. But I'll run till you're dead tired and then I'll squat you to death.

Feeling pretty good again. But it took awhile. I believe the body-weight exercises played a definite key in restoring me back to health and super fitness again. As a matter of fact, have broken some records on my bicycle speed for 3 miles. Well, at least for me. No Lance Armstrong yet.

I haven't done an inside workout in ages. Weather's been good or raining in PA. So, if it rains, I get wet and soaked. If the suns out, I get a burn.

Found a book the other day written by Matt Mann with the help of the editors of Sports Illustrated on how to teach swimming. I never learned really the proper way to swim. I wish they had his book and used it back then when the girls tried to teach me how to swim. But anyway--about 50 years later--I taught myself how to breathe properly in the front crawl, how to use the hands to push the water in the front crawl and the backstroke, and finally how to do the breaststroke. I taught myself how to swim.

Using the information provided I was able to develop some proficiency in the front crawl and the backstroke. The breaststroke was another item all by itself. You have to be able to master the frog kick until it becomes automatic, then you master the arm stroke, then you have to coordinate the two, and then you have to learn how to breathe. Breathing properly comes in as a useful part of learning how to swim. And is what really prevented me from mastering swimming at an early age. I could not swim 25 yards without reaching grabbing for the side to get a breathe of air.

I would read Mann's book every morning and ride out to Buttermilk Falls or Whitesucker Falls on the Cowashannock Creek that feeds into the mighty Allegheny River in Armstrong County of Pennsylvania. And then I would do a few laps of the crawl strokes and the breaststroke. Teaching myself the breaststroke was like my old days of starting up the squat routines and trying to reach 500 in one session.

Man, they have to be crazy strong to do 500 in one session. This is going to take forever. I would try a frog kick and then try to sneak in the arm movement. I couldn't even think about taking a breath. It was too much to take in at one time. I thought I was starting out squats all over again. But I kept at it, read the book, practiced the strokes, and I could sense a minor improvement each day. After about a month and half of this, I can actually do the breast stroke at a somewhat proficient level.

Anyway, the water is so refreshing at Buttermilk Falls. It's gotta be the eighth wonder of the world.

Yesterday's workout.

10 laps at Whitesucker. Actually 1 lap and I stop. It's only about 20 yards or less and I go back to this Sassafras tree that just fell in the water awhile back. I like the breaststroke now. Just about as much as I like squats now. So, I do 6 laps of the breaststroke and 2 each of the front crawl and the backstroke. The book didn't say anything about the Butterfly stroke.

TIVI: a few reps to loosen up the joints.

Pushups: 25 Tiger Stretch pushups in good form.

Squats: 500 Tiger Bend Squats at about 38 a minute.

Furey Back Bridge: 180 count.

And I jump back into the water to cool off. This is way too cool a workout.

Hank

Last edited by PowerHank; 08-18-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Share |

Tags
bicycle, gama, hill, powerhank, squats