Share |
How to Get Muscular Arms - It is Simple

Legacy Member

11-29-2014, 10:54 AM

How do you build them? First off, let me give a qualifier, currently my arms are around 16 inches in circumference. They are not that big by bodybuilding standards, but they are muscular and you can see the separation between the various heads of the muscles. They've been bigger, but not more muscular.

Still, I get complimented a lot on the perceived size of my arms and people asking how I built them.The armchair internet critics condemn me for mentioning things like this, but it is what it is. They get upset because they never have gotten that kind of attention.

In fact yesterday one of my youngest daughters got a comment on an instagram from a friend who was into bodybuilding. She had posted a picture of me holding my granddaughter and he was impressed by my arms. He was also amazed that I am 54 and don't lift weights.

So how do you get muscular arms? It is simple. Buy a copy of Pushing Yourself to Power. Do 100 Atlas push-ups 4-6 days a week. Do them I, II, or III; it doesn't matter. Do four sets of 25, two sets of 50, one set of 100, or however you want to get them. In fact, if you are weak at push-ups, shoot for 50 total at first.

Now the push-ups are just the primer. A primer gets the pump started in terms of an old fashioned well. It also goes for muscular arms by getting a pump into the upper body.

Now pick out 5 of the DSR or DVR exercises from PYTP for both the triceps and the biceps. Do them for 5 reps, or 10 reps, or 20 reps etc. It doesn't matter. Do the rep range you like and prefer. Concentrate on feeling the muscles through a range of contraction. Do these after the push-ups 4-6 days a week.

After four weeks you will notice a very big difference in the shape and muscularity of your arms. It is just that simple.

Greg

Share |

11-29-2014, 12:48 PM

Hi Greg

16 inch arms are big, you and i both know that a lot of bodybuilders lie about their muscle size anyhow, the same as how much they weigh.

I would be proud if i had 16 inch arms, mine have always been what is known as the stubborn muscle, not like my chest and thighs, just grow like mad.

KEITH JAMES.

Share |

Legacy Member

11-29-2014, 03:07 PM

Keith,

When I owned a gym, out of the hundreds of people who passed through the doors, I only measured two arms eighteen inches. Both were over six foot and had the frame to hold that kind of mass. One was bodybuilder on steroids. The other was a big boned country boy who'd lifted weights for football in high school. He wasn't ripped by any means, but he wasn't fat either. When he flexed his arm, his bicep was almost the size of a small barrel.

Muscle size can be deceptive. It is more impressive to see the separation of the three heads of the triceps and the muscularity of the bicep and the bicep/forearm tie in. In Enter the Dragon, Bruce Lee with his 13 inch arms was standing next to Bolo Yeung who had 18 arms. Lee's arms were not only ripped, you could identify all the aspects of the muscles. Whereas Bolo had relatively shapeless arms. Lee's arms were definitely more impressive.

Greg

Share |

12-01-2014, 10:58 PM

Ok, I am in on this for the month of December. Just to be clear, one way this routine could be done (in order) is:

5x20 Atlas 1 pushups
1x10 BI-1
1x10 BI-3
1x10 BI-4
1X8 BI-5
1x6 BIx9
1x8 TR-1
1x10 TR-2
1x7 TR-3
1x8 TR7
1x10 TR-8

Point her being the pushups are grouped together, then following are 5 each of the bicep and tricep movement, or 10 DVR/DSR total. I realize that one could do a couple more or a couple fewer movements, but I believe this is the basic routine outlined above with some example movements and repetitions shown. Did I get this right?

thanks, Matt

Share |

Legacy Member

12-02-2014, 05:15 AM

Absolutely Matt! Tweak it to what you like and feel is most productive. In fact, to save time, you can superset those biceps exercises with your pushups.

Years ago, the legendary Vince Gironda had a course out called " A Muscle has four sides," which utilized single sets of four different exercises to build a muscle on the get go. it didn't make sense to me at the time, but in context of having done self-resistance for years it does now.

Let' s recap. First you pump blood into the upper body via pushups. Next, you work the specific heads and tie-ins of the biceps and triceps via multiple planes of tensioned movement. You are hitting the muscle fibers from a variety of angles. For those of us who don't have long muscle bellies, this is the way to go. For us, one size (one exercise) doesn't feed all the muscle fibers. But, hitting the muscles from a variety of angles does.

In another thread John told the story of the long distance trucker his uncle got started on just the Atlas biceps and triceps exercises. That is all he did, yet he had very muscular arms.

Greg

Share |

12-02-2014, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback Greg. I like the thought of working in the bicep FMT in between the pushups to save time and break it up a bit. I did the workout outlined below, except with fewer FMT movements in general, and 6 sets of pushups. It took me 32 minutes. I could get this down to 30 minutes if I wanted. I like the way I feel afterward. When I started my head was draining big time from a cold, but now that I am done I feel much better.

Matt

Share |

12-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Thanks once again Greg. Hope You And Yours Had a good Thanksgiving Holiday!

Share |

Legacy Member

12-04-2014, 05:11 AM

Thanks Trap, we did. God Bless You and Yours.

Greg

Share |