02-23-2019, 10:49 AM

I know that this has addressed before, but I cannot find anything. What is a good exercise(s) for the lats alongs with pull-ups. Including using the Iso_belt.

Thanks,

Bob

Share |

02-25-2019, 09:32 PM

SIt on your behnid with your feet extended out in front and your back erect Loop the belt over them and pull. This is a row. You could also bend your legs at the knees and loop the belt around your shins, but then you could only work the last 1/2 or so of the row range.

You could also do the same thing standing similar to a barbell bent row.

Do be careful though. One of the things about isometrics is that there is no gravity impacting you and as such you can work some really strong muscles out of the normal plane which can be hell on some other muscles.

I was doing an isometric deadlift with the bar brought up to the catch bars in a power rack. What happened was (didn't catch on until it had happened) I was not in a normal deadlift position because I only had the empty bar so gravity was pretty much out of play once the bar came in contact with the catch bars. I started to pull close to a max pooundage. I was probably 3/4 stood up in terms of deadlift position, so in this position you are past the normal sticking point, so probably a lot stronger than the weights I normally handle in regular deadlift.

Anyway, I felt my pec being pulled from the tie in in the humerus. I immediately stopped. Just a slight strain. (This is a big advantage to isometrics and using an apparatus that has minimal actual weight.) But it made me really think about positions and being out of the normal movement pattern for a lift like the deadlift and the caution that should be exercised. Isometrics are very real, have unique benefits, but must also be treated with respect.

Share |

Banned

02-26-2019, 01:09 PM

Using bands attached to a wall or any sort of anchor placed at waist height, step back, flare your lats out, as in a wide lat spread, and pull the bands to your belly. You can also do this with a bicycle inner tube.

Share |

Author

02-26-2019, 04:38 PM

Hello Bob,

I have not responded because I have not yet released the new Isometric Power Belt.

With the above stated let me just say with the Power Belt you can do the Pulldown exercise Isometrically at multiple angles to your absolute maximum of contraction. Same goes for other exercises that are 'Lat' specific exercises.

Another exercise that may be somewhat surprising to some people is that the Push-Up can hit the Lats surprisingly well. This was something that I was told by Jack King. Jack said that when he began his Push-Up training he was awed by how Push-Ups affected his entire back but especially his lats.

---John Peterson

Share |

02-26-2019, 08:47 PM

Thanks Everyone. I have the old belt and look forward to the new one. Hopefully soon.

Bob

Share |