Share |
Bench Presser Uses Weight Vest

Author

04-22-2019, 02:06 PM

Hello Friends,

I received an interesting e-mail from a man that has won a great many power lift meets that tells me that using a heavy weight-vest has taken his bench pressing strength up to a much higher level. He says that he performs 5 sets of 1 to 4 reps while wearing a 150-pound vest. He said that using the weight vest recruits muscle fibers that are not called for when lying on one's back and having the support of the bench. He told me that he started out by ordering a 75-pound vest and gradually worked up to a 150-pound vest. The most difficult part for him is to get the vest on and then getting it off.

Let me just state that I find it incredible that anyone could use 150 pounds.

---John Peterson

Share |

Author

04-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have been asked #1) Why I believe a 150-pound weight vest would be so difficult and intense and #2) What is the heaviest vest I have ever tried. The answer to #1)is very simple. First off you would have to have boxes, cinder blocks or rings that would allow for you to achieve a full range of motion (no way could you do this on the floor-your range of motion would be completely restricted and you might even bounce off the bottom) and once the full range has been accomplished it would require a level of muscular activation for stabilization and full body strength as no other exercise does especially when using rings. By stabilization, I mean in both the downward and upward portions of the movement. Pushing upward while balanced on your back as in a bench press requires none of the muscular stabilization benefits as happens when the muscles are moving through natural ranges of movement and are kept in alignment through muscular activation alone. Seriously, you can't compare a weighted Push-Up of this type with pressing off of a bench.

The answer to the second question is 1 rep with a 100-pound vest (a 75-pound vest and a 25-pound attachment weight vest the material of both weight vests added an additional 3 pounds) It was the hardest exercise for a single rep that I ever attempted. Starting in the 'Up Position' all the way down and then pressing back up. I was shaking while pushing back up and I had a bloody nose as a result. I have never done anything like that since. At the 2/3 mark, I was locked in an Isometric contraction that barely allowed movement. It took nearly 20 seconds to complete the last 1/3 I could have caused my self a stroke. I was lucky that I didn't.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-23-2019, 06:15 PM

Brother John, you are correct on every point. The bench press does not engage the stabilizing muscles like the pushup does. In fact, for that reason, the pushup is all I do for abs. A pushup done with the same weight as a bench press is SO MUCH MORE INTENSE. Hence, the feeling that you had after that attempt. Pushups engage all the muscular structures of the upper body, and there is an isometric effect on the legs. It is the best exercise known to man, for those that can do it safely.

Share |

04-24-2019, 01:34 AM

Unless one lifts competitively as the person in your example, the bench press is a second rate movement. Yes it will give you strength but as Michael says the pushup engages many more of the stabilizer muscles and would be of much more use to the average person or not so average that is looking for rounded development.

A bench press can build strength beyond what a weighted pushup will but the risk is the primary movers become very strong while some of the stabilizer muscles lag because they aren't called on while lying on a bench.

Then one day Mr Bench press is using his chest strength in real world work and injures himself because he moved in a way the weak stabilizer couldn't support.

The lifter in the example is better off for having incorporated the vest for reasons in addition to pushing his max higher.

Aside: NFL lineman should do their chest and triceps work standing which would involve core, hip and leg strength to support the work being done by the chest and triceps. Develop the strength in the manner it will be used, I always say.

Share |

Author

04-24-2019, 02:20 PM

[B]Hello Friends,

John here, and I want to say that unless you have actually tried a heavy weight vest you have no idea of how that additional weight placed directly over shoulders, chest, and upper back affects your strength. It's not even remotely like bench pressing X-Number of Pounds. Believe me, there is no equivalency between the two. It changes the mechanics of everything and seriously friends, I hope that there is some way for some of you really superstrong men can try out a weight vest of 75 or more pounds on an Atlas II Push-Up. If you did you might discover what my bench press friend discovered when he increased his best bench press by more than 15 pounds. Prior to the 150-pound Push-Up vest, he had flirted with a 400-pound bench press but never quite managed it though he was in the 390s range and was able to 408 which he told me he did after 403 and feeling so strong, pumped and elated that he decided for 5 pounds more and made it. He told me that the vest helped him so much that he thinks he could have broken 410 if he had not done 395, 397&1/2,400, 403, & 408. He told me that 2 days before he had done his benching that he completed a set just barely shy of 5 full extensions with 154 (150 pounds of 2 & 1/2 pound lead bars plus the weight of the carrier vests. He told me that getting it on and off was considerably harder than the bench pressing itself.

I told him that I barely made a very shaky rep with 100 pounds in the vest (a 75 pound plus a 25 Pound extension on top of it) And get this he said to me, "John, there are lots of guys that can bench over 300 pounds that wouldn't be able to do that and what do you weigh? About a buck seventy? I responded, "No, I'm ultra lean at 162 right now." He then said to me, "How old are you anyway?" and I told him, "I'm officially in my 67th year that ends October 25th." His response was, "I would never have done weight vest training if I hadn't read what you have written and I have no explanation why that has made all the difference for me on the bench but it has."

---John Peterson

Share |