Share |
kettlebells, bulgarian bags and macebells?

03-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Hi again. I just wanted to add that I hope nobody thinks I was trying to stir up the pot.

See ya.

P.S. My guts workout was awesome today.

Share |

Legacy Member

03-05-2010, 04:13 PM

mattman, I don't anyone would interpret what you said as stirring the pot, brother! Stirring the pot is doing things like name calling or trying to call someone out by making accusations. If you enjoy or enjoyed kettlebells then talking about it isn't stirring anything up. I'm sure everyone appreciates your point of view.

-Joe

Share |

03-05-2010, 05:42 PM

A number of years ago I worked out with kettlebells for a period of time before I discovered Transformetrics. While I didn't have any injury problems while using them their ballistic nature is a concern and I would advise anyone with weak joints to be very careful. I eventually sold them as I found Transformetrics to be far superior as you can vary the resistance directions and tensions much more effectively as you are not depending entirely on gravitational resistance with a cast iron weight.

Share |

Author

03-05-2010, 05:50 PM

C'Mon Friends,

Just because some of us love Pull-Ups, Rope Climbing, & SuperMan Wheel Push-Ups does not mean that we automatically assume that everyone else does. I think I expressed exactly how I personally feel about the other training modalities without any one needing to feel that I was raining on their parade or that I was bashing anything. In a nutshell what I teach is that we first become supremely strong and fit from all angles and directions by mastering our own body weight and performing non-compressive Isometric Contraction. This is the basis of everything that I teach and stand for. Many people have had superior results with my methods and have even healed old injuries and find themselves capable of doing things they have never been able to do before as a result.

As far as I am concerned, once we have mastered our own body weight, and this method has become the foundation of our daily strength and fitness training endeavors everything else is 'icing on the cake'. The only thing I have ever been adamantly opposed to is lifting heavier and heavier weights long term that end up destroying the integrity of the joints, tendons, and ligaments and compresses that spinal discs. All of which in turn is the source of long term pain and disability. And that my friends is not bashing anything. It's just the truth.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Whatever works, I say, as long as you are training intelligently, with perfect form, and listening to your body as to not injure it.

I've experimented with a DVR version of an exercise with the bulgarian where you swing the bag around your head, and found it definitely hits the entire core--perhaps just as much as actually using the bag, but requires more mental focus. Anything you can do with a weight, you can do without one too if you are creative enough and have built that mind-muscle connection.

Share |

Author

03-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Hey Duff,

My sentiments exactly. Great points all.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

03-05-2010, 08:06 PM

I have to say, it strikes me that some people think this site in anti-weights. It's not anti-weight, it's pro-Transformetrics, which is a really big difference.

If part of your training is lifting weights or kettlebells or maceballs, we're not going to treat you like a leper!

What we DO NO STAND FOR is the kind of muscle-head posturing where you get people saying things like, "If you don't lift heavy then you're a fag!" Or that one-upsmanship where everyone is saying, "Oh yeah, well I can do it better." That's kind of attitude isn't tolerated on this site.

Yes we do have standards and yes we do have little tolerance. But it's not directed at sincere and respectful people. And I really do mean that very sincerely.

-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 03-05-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo

Share |

Author

03-05-2010, 08:38 PM

Spot on Joe! You could not have stated it more clearly. Thank You.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-06-2010, 10:14 AM

If anyone is interested in kettlebells I would suggest seeking out a class with a certified RKC instructor. You really don't want your form to be off when doing these exercises. I took a class and it was a lot of fun and very effective. Then I got some light kbs and got a sore back from doing relatively light swings. I still do kettlebell arm bars which are more of a stretch and an isometic exercise for the shoulders.

Share |

Author

03-06-2010, 04:35 PM

hey taskmaster,

You bring up a great point. Oftentimes it is not a matter of who's right or who's wrong but rather, what are the consequences? This is something that everyone should seriously consider when choosing any method of exercise. For me, the goal of Transformetrics is 'All Gain and No Pain'. Granted there are those with a masochistic bent that think that if they are not hurting that they are not training hard enough. In time, men with that attitude end up as lounge lizards that are unable to train at all. They're the type you sitting in taverns bragging about how much they used to bench.

---John Peterson

Share |

Tags
facebook