Share |
Are Furey Squats safe for knees?

10-10-2009, 11:34 AM

I have had surgery on both knees and while they feel okay, I'm concerned the Furey Squat might not be good for them given the knee is way out in front of the toes, usually a no-no according to all of the sources I've read.

Any clarification on this knee/toe relationship?

Thanks!

Share |

Author

10-10-2009, 01:29 PM

Hello Scott,

If you have had surgery on both knees you need to be especially careful with this exercise. The Tiger Bend Squat has been practiced in India for Millenniums of time with no ill effects for the vast majority of people. Yet, the truth is YOU are unique and it does not matter if 99 out of every 100 people can perform the exercise with no ill effect, if it bothers YOU then YOU should not be doing it.

Now as far as whether or not the knees should or should not extend over the feet when squatting, in my case they do and they always have. I have had no ill effects. But there are other factors including bodily proportion and weight distribution that make a considerable difference as relates to the safety of squatting from individual to individual. So the bottom line is this, proceed very carefully with squatting and stop completely if you begin to feel pain.

---John Peterson

Share |

10-10-2009, 01:39 PM

If you have knee problems try squating only to the point where your thighs are parallel with the floor.

Share |

Author

10-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Hey Andy62,

As usual that's excellent advice. In fact, one of the things that Strength historian David Willoughby mentioned about the Mighty Gama and other Indian wrestlers was that their thighs were so massive (very believable when you consider that Gama was 5'6" and weighed 250 in his prime) that they could not squat below parallel.

So I agree, Scott should only squat to parallel and no further(at least at first) in order to determine how safe squatting is in his case.

---John Peterson

Share |

10-10-2009, 02:43 PM

That's true, John!

I've seen a lot of pictures of old school Judoka, Indian Wrestlers and Pro Wrestlers, who practiced very high reps of pushups and squats. Most of the time, you could see that their chests and thighs were so massive that the Range-Of-Motion would not be full range.

For example, if you google for a picture of the prisoner Charles Bronson, you'll see he has the traditional barrelled chested look of the circus strongman or wrestler. He has been reported to perform several thousand pushups a day.

However, although he says he performs them with the old "chest to floor" protocol, his chest is so big, that for his chest to touch the floor he only needs to bend his arms about 90 degrees. There's a picture from his site - you'll see what I mean.

http://www.freebronson.co.uk/galleries/show.php?1|00|0

Getting to Furey squats...if they hurt, don't do them. Personally, I don't perform them, as they aggravate my knee injuries. But, they are a fine exercise.

Ben

Share |

10-10-2009, 04:08 PM

When I first started dong these they bothered my knees. So I started doing the Atlas balance squats and when I went back to doing the Tiger Bend squats, my knees felt fine.

I think training from a different angle conditioned my knees' tendons and muscles, so with that extra strength and support all was well.

Share |

Author

10-11-2009, 08:51 AM

Hey Guys,

These are great insights that are being shared in this thread. One thing that is being emphasized is the need for total control throughout the range of motion. This is so true. And the truth is, sometimes even the most subtle changes in exercise execution can have a profound impact. Something as subtle as slowing down by just a half a second to a second per repetition can have a big impact.

---John Peterson

Share |

10-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
When I came back to them I began doing them slow and controlled and found the pain was gone. I was originally doing them too fast and was simply dropping down to the bottom position without controlling my descent. Once I started lowering slowly and controlled the pain went away.
If you're doing them on your toes, its kind of hard to do them slow and not fall over (at least, I can't manage it.)

Superman, Superman, wish I could fly like superman
Superman, Superman, I want to be like superman

Share |

10-11-2009, 06:53 PM

I tore my quadriceps tendon last year. I do Hindu squats and they actually make my knee feel better. This wasn't the case before the injury. It helps range of motion. I also think I am paying more attention to my movement. Just my experience.

Share |

Legacy Member

10-11-2009, 07:10 PM

After two years of not doing Furey/Hindu/Tiger Bend squats I have been doing them three times a week. So far, no problems. But, I also have been taking the systemic enzymes and the glucosamine formulas from Nutriprima for some months now to enhance my joint health. Too, I have made sure I wear tennis shoes with a thick, spongy tread, and I wear elastic knee sleeves when I do deep knee bends.

The reason for the spongy tread is that it raises my heels enough to where I don't have to go onto my toes as far and it provides some give for my feet so that the arches of my feet don't hurt as bad during the execution of the squats. I guess the elastic bandages are cheating in a way, but they keep my knees warm and mobile. So far I haven't had knee pain afterwards like I have had in the past. Too, I am over fifteen pounds lighter than when I did the deep knee bends previously, so possibly that has had an effect as well.

Last edited by Greg Newton; 10-12-2009 at 04:36 AM.

Share |