Share |
More M7 ideas

12-05-2009, 10:30 AM

I hope everyone is doing well; I haven't posted much in a while, but I've been a pretty regular lurker.

Despite all the great new protocols I've been seeing lately, I must admit my favorite is still the M7 book, followed closely by IPR and PYTP. I guess I'm sort of a Transformetrics Luddite! ;P

My baseline routine remains 150+ daily hindu squats, at least 50 hindu p/u's (depending on my energy leve and/or soreness), recently followed by Atlas situps (yes I've been influenced by all the GUTS threads (btw last year I couldn't do ANY situps because it hurt too much, so a big shoutout goes to JP)

Then a couple rounds of M7 and assorted isos.

A couple weeks ago a was working out in a low ceiling-d room in which I couldn't stretch all the way up, so I made some modifications that, as it turns out, I liked well enough to keep doing at home.

Here's what I did: instead of alternating left foot/right foot in front for the first three exercises, I simply go into a horse stance and clench my fists.

This way I can flow from one move to the next without changing leg position, simultaneously doing aerobic isos with the legs.

It's a bit harder, I think, but I like it!

While I'm on the subject of variants, here's something I did on days when the back hurt too much to lie down on the floor: stand tall, apply both fists to forehead, then engage the stomach muscles to resist the fists. Then go slowly down in this way until you get all the way down into the floor.
Then relax, let the arms dangle and breathe into the stretch for roughly 30 seconds. Then roll back up vertebrae by vertebrae while breathing deeply. Repeat ad lib

I hope some folks find these ideas useful, and thanks again to one and all for the good ideas.

Jonathan

Share |

Legacy Member

12-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Hi Jon,

I do all my DVR's and DSR's this way. Occasionally I will also use a boxing stance with the rear leg flexed and balanced on the toe. Like you, I often train in a low roofed room. For all the reasons you mentioned this is a great way to do those movements.

Greg

Share |

Banned

12-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Transformetrics Luddite's Unite!

Must admit my favorite book is the M7 and a close seconds are PTYP & IPR.

Share |

12-06-2009, 12:49 PM

Hi Jon,

Kudos for making the exercises work for you in the situation you find yourself in. Count me in the M7 is my favorite catagory. GUTS is my current emphasis and it is a wonderful program.

I wanted to comment on the forward leg stance for Tiger Moves in M7. With one leg forward, you really activate your core and improve your balance. I used to think it was an arbitrary foot position and that only the movements of the upper body mattered. Having done many rounds of M7 Tiger Moves, I can tell you the leg forward stance makes a training difference.

It seems like every exercise Mr. Peterson teaches has multiple benefits. In GUTS, the Tiger Bend Squats are complimented by the Atlas situp. They provide iometric strength and conditioning to the knees. Atlas situps also decompress the spine.

All the Best!

B38

Share |

Legacy Member

12-06-2009, 09:45 PM

A few years ago there was a similar thread about experimenting with different positions while doing M7 / Tiger moves, this idea carries through to all of the DVR, DSR, CIC and power / iso flexing. As mentioned boxing stances, martial arts stances (front stance, horse stance, back stance, sanchin stance, hourglass stance…..) all change things just a little and add variety and change to the exercise.

Some other ways to change up or add variety – try doing the exercises while seated on a Swiss ball, standing on a rebounder, seated in a chair or on the edge of the bed or while in the pool. Many of the Tiger moves all but the ½ squat can be done while walking.

If you practice traditional style martial arts try doing these exercises while in seiza (kneeling position) or if you do seated meditation or breathing exercises see how many of these you can do in the seated position. You will probably even discover some new exercises.

Try doing the exercises with your eyes closed and for those truly gifted and athletic see what you can do balanced on one foot. Try doing calisthenics with eyes closed – I always do my neck exercises and circles eyes closed.

That’s my input – any other suggestions?

GB

Last edited by GB; 12-06-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Share |

Tags
miracle 7