Share |
VIDEO: Exercising in the great outdoors!

Legacy Member

01-05-2009, 06:32 AM

I gotta say, I love exercising outside! More than just running, I like to get a good, full body workout in. So I grabbed my buddy, Jamie, and asked him hold a camera while I demonstrate some outdoor training techniques.

Now when my wife watched this, she had the audacity to imply I had seen too many kung fu movies. You’ll see what she was talking about at the point where the music begins to slow down. Personally, I feel I need a waterfall in the background to get the full effect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

-Joe

P.S. I did utter one curse word at the very end. But I did my best to bleep it

Share |

01-05-2009, 06:44 AM

What a crack up. Great job.

Looks like my back yard. When I used to have one.

If you get a waterfall, you'll have to change the music, though, too.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

01-05-2009, 06:57 AM

Hey Joe,

Col video man! Thanks for posting it and All the best.

---Nathan

Jesus Christ

Share |

01-05-2009, 07:12 AM

Great video Joe ... And I am jealous of the back yard.

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm … And ye shall know that … I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |

01-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Outdoor trainers unite!

Share |

Legacy Member

01-05-2009, 08:51 AM

I do actaully have a waterfall in my back yard, but it's a mountain stream, so it only flows after a big rain. Next time I do some DVRs and Yoga, I'm going to have to wait until after a good rain. Then hire someone to play the sitar, and I'll be set!

Max... don't feel too jealous. Mow it once in August and you'll be glad it doesn't belong to you!!

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

01-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Joe,

that was great.

GB

Share |

Author

01-05-2009, 10:10 AM

Wow, Joe. You sure know how to use the immediate surroundings to throw together a really great workout!!

I thought doing VRT on my backyard deck was fun. You really go back to nature here.

Nice you got mild winters in West Virginia! Days like this won't happen in Wisconsin until the Spring. But great fun you had there, Joe!! Knock 'em dead.

--Greg Mangan

Share |

Legacy Member

01-05-2009, 10:35 AM

You know, I really, really enjoy the outside workout. It gets a little tough in the summer when it's really hot and the bugs are out thick. This time if year it can be great!

The weather was a total fluke, we do get mild days here and there, but it's usually cold this time of year in WV. It's funny, my original theme for this video was, "You can workout outside even when it's cold!" because when I first called Jamie to come over, it was in the 30's during the day. But when he finally did come over it hit 60 degrees! Well, you know what they said, "If you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes."

DVR/VRT is fantastic outside!! Even though it's very intense exercise, it's very relaxing. Just like with Yoga, it's difficult when you're in the moment, but when you're done you feel great all over. Add to that all of the fresh oxygen and a relaxing, meditative view, and you can't beat it. Even if it does look like something out of an old kung fu movie!

I think it's funny that most people don't think of a workout as being fun, but I think they not only can be fun, but should be! That is especially driven home if you have a good friend working out with you. Pushing each other and playing off one another's accomplishments can be very motivating. And the best part is, take a friend and the outdoors and you don't have to worry about getting in each other's way or waiting on equipment! It's just a blast all the way around and before you know it, an hour has passed and you feel exhausted.

Yeah... I taught Jamie a thing or two. Namely the fact that he has bigger arms than me and weight the same, but he can't swing from the trees the way I can!

-Joe

Share |

01-05-2009, 11:00 AM

One problem with outdoor training is that you realize what a drag indoor training is. The author of the book, The Purposeful Primitive, also frequently trains in the great outdoors with uneven terrain & uses a heartrate monitor a a "whip" to put forth a honest effort

Share |

Tags
joe justice, video