base strength work

12-19-2011, 08:48 PM

I upped my workout numbers today to
15 T-handle pushups
13 Atlas situps
5 pull ups
30 tiger bend squats
5 rounds

I am happy with my progress this past month. Only bad thing is my hip is not improving. It has been basically good days and bad days. Went to the chiropractor again today and he suggested I really rest my hip. No bike riding, no ultimate frisbee, no surfing () no squats. Cut out the things that cause the hip flexor to to into flexion. So, I will relent and rest that part of my body. For starters, II will drop squats from my daily workout, and add planks. At least while I am off work the next couple weeks this should work fine. And it should be good for my quest for the standing roll out. I'll keep working those 5x5 partials each day unless I sense they are messing up my hip. Not sure about the siitups yet, I think I willl reduce the ROM and keep the hardest part of the movement.

I also have been making sure to add supplemental pushups to get at least 100 a day. For the next couple weeks I'm planning on increasing that to get a bit more cardio work through my arms.

Share |

12-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Started my hip friendly base workout today as outlined previously.
Did my 5x5 partial ab wheel rollouts as I have been supplementing daily for the past several days.
Also got in a great surf session with my son.
Needed to get in my last 25 pushups to get 100 for the day, decided to try do it in a single set with the T handles. Got to 19 and had to take a extra breath pause while holding at the top, did the same after reps 21, 23 and 24, but got all 25 reps in with good form. That is a PR for me, not bad especially after surfing.

Share |

12-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Made an interesting personal observation today. I am training toward an ab wheel rollout. I have read on this forum about several exercises that help in that regard. The one I experienced today is the T handle pushup. I was inspired by a post in the living strength forum by workout warrior in doing 120 military pushups plus 240 squats in less than 10 minutes. I decided to try 120 pushups in less than 10 minutes, but thougth I would make that easily with miliatary pushups. So I decided to try T handle pushups.

I planned to try 10 sets of 12 on the minute, so I would finish the last set before 10 minutes elapsed. During my first set I realized 10 sets of 12 would not be practical, so I down scoped to sets of 10. After 5 sets of 10, i knew I could not keep pace and hold form, so the last 5 sets were 7, 7, 7, 8, and 9 for 88 in around 9:30.

The interesting observation is the last 2-3 reps of the last set, I really felt a stress in my low back, much like when I really extend doing an ab wheel rollout. Not pain, just like the muscles were really having to work to hold form. I had planned on 10 reps in the last set, but with that strain I opted to hold off on the last rep and see how I feel tomorrow. All in all, 10 minutes well spent.

That workout was in addition to my base workout, a surf session, 5x5 partial ab wheel rollouts, and some DVR pullup work. I am really enjoying vacation at home.

Share |

12-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Been continuing my work this past week, although I did miss a couple days of doing my base workout. I have upped the pushup reps to 16 in my base workout. Also doing planks for 1 min with one of my arms off the floor, and keeping my torso parallel to the ground.

Today I did a pushup pyramid. I thought it would be much easier than it turned out to be. My pushup endurance is not to great yet, but I will keep on moving forward, one step at a time.

16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 176 reps total.

Later in the day I did 24 T handle pushups, 200 total reps for the day

Last edited by sbslider; 12-28-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Share |

01-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Just checking in again, no big changes lately other than missing more daily workouts than I would like. Life is full of choices, and sometimes the ones you think will work out don't Anyway, I am still at my base workout, which presently consists of

16 Atlas I-II pushups (hands about 8" above feet in up position, sort of between Atlas I and II)
16 Atlas modified situps (hands at waist for situps, not at head or chest) followed by isometric situp
6 pullups
1 min plank with one arm off the ground, last round 2 min plank with one leg off the ground 2x30sec
5 rounds

I have also added isometric work daily. I have been slacking on the DVR pullups, I am dropping them for now in favor of isometrics.

I have been at this for about 6 weeks now. My Atlas pushups are a bit plateaued, and my situps are not coming along as quickly as I would like. But, I am continuing on, and I'll work on tweaking things to bust through the plateaus. I suspect part of my pushup plateau may have to do with dropping squats (medical issue I am dealing with) and adding planks, which work the shoulders and reduce the rest I get for that body part. So be it for now, do what you can with what you have.

I have also been doing 5x5 standing ab wheel partials, these have felt very good. I am very pleased with my progress on this movement.

I did a second workout today as well, descending pyramid for T-Handle pushups and pullups
T-handles: 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8 122 reps
pullups 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5 52 reps

Also did a full body isometric workout today. I'm feeling like I am alive! ;0

Last edited by sbslider; 01-08-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Share |

01-16-2012, 08:20 AM

Today's workout:

16 Atlas Pushups hands 8" off ground
10 Atlas Situps hands low, focus on rolling up 1 vertebrae at a time, static holds on last negative
5 pull ups various grips
6 rounds
finish with 2 min plank, one arm and leg off ground 4x30 sec
ultimate frisbee at lunch
5x5 partial ab wheel rollouts

The work I did the past week:
Jan 9
100 tiger stretch push ups

Jan 10
base workout only 4 rounds
15 min isometrics
more situp work
16 20 t handle pu
7 pullups
last round of plank 2 min

Jan 11
tried a different approach to the workout and did not like it
30 DSR neck exercises
61 Atlas pushups
50 Atlas situps hands low
15 toe touches
in 30 minutes
isometrics

Jan 12
total rest

Jan 13
base work minus planks
skate ldp to from work
5 10 10 partial ab wheel rollouts
minor isometrics

Jan 14
backpacking

Jan 15
backpacking
pullups 8 6 5 ball 5 ball
T handle pu 18 16 14 14

Last edited by sbslider; 01-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Share |

01-17-2012, 10:30 PM

Jan 17
Slept in today, did not workout in the morning as usual
before I left for work I did 20 T handle pushups, 8 pullups.
During the day, I did some grease the groove isometric work. This is becoming a daily habit.
Evening, 5x5 partial standing ab wheel rollouts. Increased my range today to one full board(14") beyond where I started about 1 month ago. I have another 7-8" to go for a full rollout. I anticipate the the increases now will come slower, but I am very encouraged by the progress I have made thus far. The standing full rollout is my top goal for this year. When I achieve that, I will move on to becoming proficient at handstand pushups.

Daily workout
4 rounds of
14 T-handle pushups on 2" blocks
10 Atlas Situps hands low, focus on rolling up 1 vertebrae at a time, static holds on last negative
6 pullups various grips, except last set was 5 ball pullups
finished with 2 min plank, one arm and leg off ground 4x30 sec

Also got an xray of my hip today. My chiropractor's diagnosis is Physis with femoral acetabular impingement with secondary arthrosis. I'll visit him next week to find out more what that means, but it basically is a flat spot on my femur ball on the right side.

did another 24 pushups Tiger stretch style to get 100 for the day

Last edited by sbslider; 01-17-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Share |

01-20-2012, 10:46 PM

Jan 18
4 rounds
2x8 kneeling chest fly pushups 2x20 tiger stretch pu
10 Atlas situps hands low
5 pull ups various grips
ultimate at lunch
20 T handle pu
9x5 partial standing ab wheel rollouts

Jan 19
ultimate at lunch
1x10 Tiger moves

Jan 20
1x10 Tiger moves
30 TBPU
16 ASU
isometrics at work, upper body
2x25 T handle pu
evening, 1x5, 5x10 partial standing ab wheel rollouts
25 T handle pu
25 feet elavated push ups

Share |

01-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Jan 21

1x10 Tiger moves
2 hrs beach ultimate in a raging wind
1x5 standing partial ab wheel rollouts
8x12 T-handle pushups,with DSR movements between sets as follows, 10 each side:
rope pull, Liederman Chest preas, Seated Rows, Shoulder and Lat rows, Side arm raise, Neck and Biceps, Classic Bicep curl, Alternate Praying push. for me, and extreme upper body workout, I still feel it from my forearms to my shoulders and back.

after dinner, 5x5 standing partial ab wheel rollouts, 25 Tiger Pushups

Share |

01-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Jan 22
4x25 Tiger Bend Pushups
4x25 Atlas Situps hands low on bed
1 hr power walk with my wife
2 hr surf session
100 Atlas Balance Squats
5 rounds of
20 bent leg raises
10 toe touches each side
10 reverse lunges each side.
Can't do more than a couple straight leg raises to 90 degrees, so I did bent leg ones as far up as I could, which was always at least 90 if not more. Certainly less closer to 90 toward the end. The reverse lunge holds were hard too, 50 each side straight would be a challenge.
My back is a bit sore from the last two days of ab wheel rollouts. It actually feels fine now, but I'm taking the day off from them. Did plenty today as it is.

Share |