Share |
Shooting Straight & Coming Clean

Author

09-08-2019, 06:01 PM

Hello Everyone,

Apparently, some people think that I have turned my back on the Transformetrics exercises of my youth that had yielded fantastic results for me. That of course is a ridiculous assumption that is not backed by anything. The truth is that I still do exactly the same exercises I did back then but I do them at a high level of intensity rather than high volume.

Let me explain. When I was going through adolescence beginning at about age 11 I became very aware of physical strength and development. I had started the Charles Atlas exercises in July of 1963 about three months before turning 11. It was a result of a beating by a kid that was 3 years older who was over 6 feet tall and more than 300 pounds of blubber. When I told my Grandfather and Uncle wally about it they immediately got me going on Charles Atlas's exercises and more than that they explained why becoming fantastically strong with Atlas's exercises and method was vastly superior to weights in their opinion and it all made perfect sense to me. At first doing the exercises was really hard and even though I was naturally athletic it was hard to do sets of 6 or 7 on the Atlas Push-Ups because I was going all the way down and all the way up just as Charles Atlas stated and I was just as devoted on every other exercise as I learned it. I believed implicitly in the Atlas exercises because my Uncles (my moms brothers) my grandfather were the best built men in the real world that I had ever seen. They looked very similar to bodybuilders of the day that appeared in bodybuilding magazines but did not have the level of extreme mass that the bodybuilders had in their leg development and my uncles and grandfather all had exceptional 'Lat development' In fact, My Grandfather and uncles were 'ripped' before the word had ever been coined. Each man had a lithe, lean muscularity. To draw a comparison, my sister Diane just told me after viewing my latest cover on "Power Secrets Nutrition" that she can't believe how much my physique matches my grandfather when he was 67. So you see the reason I stayed with these exercises was because of the examples I had seen and had become myself.

Another thing that happened (back to 5th grade and age 11) was that after we had been in school for a few months we then then did the exercises for the presidents physical fitness award. I had only been doing the Atlas exercises for about four months by that time but I so outperformed every other kid on all the tests that my teacher Mr. Jambeck said to me, "Johnny, why are you so much stronger than everyone else? There isn't a single boy in either 5th or 6th grade that is even close to you on those tests." I told him that my Grandfather put me on Charles Atlas's exercises and that i did them every day because of that beating I had taken earlier in the summer. He just reaffiirmed me and asked me if I would show him the exercises. When I told my Grandfather and Uncle Wally they both said that my teacher must be a really good man...and that it was Ok to Show him the exercises..

Any way, I stayed with Dynamic Tension and i remained stronger and fitter than every other kid right through junior high and high school and my friends all called me 'Tarzan'. I even got sent home from school on a couple of occasions in 8th and 9th grade because my hair was too long (I wanted to wear it like Tarzan which I did). Back then all I did was high volume Dynamic Tension doing 500 or more Atlas Push-Ups plus 200 reps each of the other Atlas Perpetual Lesson exercises. The only other thing I did was the freehand isometrics I learned from my uncle Milo.

Fast forward, through the years I excelled in boxing and martial arts. I lived and breathed it. I also took up distance running in 1977 after reading Jim Fixx's 'Complete Book of Running' something I would never have done if I knew then what I know now about distance running depleting male hormone. But guys, back then nobody ever talked about exercises effect on male hormone with the exception of Vince Gironda.

Anyway when I got into my 60s I wanted to make muscles have definition and density. I had a friend that was very convincing about becoming a vegan and I tried it with disastrous results, I started losing both muscle mass and muscle density which was a certain sign that I was depleting testosterone and HGH. That is when I went to Isometrics with a vengeance after remembering my talks with coach James Baley. I even figured out how to re-engineer Baley's Isometric Power Belt to make it work like a dream come true,

It was when I created my own Isometric Power Belt System that I decided to apply Dr. Morehouse's repetition protocols to my Atlas exercises and to do that efficiently I began to use the weight vest in earnest and devoting 8 week cycles to Mass Building (sets of 15 to 20) Endurance (sets of 40 to 50 or more) Strength (Sets of 1 to 5). After I mastered those exercises with a weight vest I then turned to Vince Gironda's set and rep protocols going as heavy as I could while maintaining very strict form. I eventually got so strong with my Atlas III's that I could perform 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps while wearing my 77.7 pound weight vest. This extreme increase in strength while in my sixties is due to first of all to my Hormone Blasting Nutrition (My doctors can't believe what I have accomplished with elevating my testosterone and HGH as a result of natural nutrition and my Isometric Power Belt Training System) The weight vest training augments my Isometrics and gives me a means of testing my Functional Real World Strength. At my seminars I will demonstrate the weight vest exercises and invite any audience member to come up and try the exercises for himself while using my weight vest. Believe me this will be fun to see. It will make the point that I have great strength as well as flexibility because of the Atlas exercise performed with a weight vest. (Continued below)

Share |

Author

09-08-2019, 06:54 PM

Continued...

This brings up a very good point that I will not dodge.

A man asked me, "How is your Weight Vest Training any different than lifting weights?"

Answer: In one sense it is not because I am using weight as a medium of resistance. BUT in another way it is very different. That is because with the weight vest I am doing my standard Body Weight Transformetrics exercises such as Atlas IIIs, Atlas IIs, & Atlas Is, Reverse Dips, Doorway Pull-Ups, Good Mornings, Lunges, Squats & Calf Raises. I am "wearing" the weight so that it is as though my body weighed any where from 32 pounds to 77.7 pounds more than it does without. While wearing the vest it is Isometric alignment of my body that makes it possible to do the exercises in good form. I am performing exactly the same exercises as without the vest so that I am developing functional strength in direct relationship to my own body. Not only that but this dramatically increases the bodybuilding potential of the Atlas Exercises because at some point the only way to advance with the Atlas exercises is to do higher and higher volume just as I had done for many years. Or to put it another way look at it like this....

My friend Jim Forystek wrote a great course that was originally titled 'Flexercise' which I still have a copy of. When he asked me for help I had an editor go through it and then I made edits of my own to clarify a few things. I also renamed the course 'Power Flex' that I also did a video of and still have copies of. At that point Jim Forystek invited me to add my name to his as the author but I refused because 'Flexercise' was Jim's original concept. I talked to Jim about his exercises and told him they were straight out of Charles Atlas BUT HE SAID THEY WEREN'T. He told me that when he was growing up that he had heard bits and pieces of the Atlas Course that he put together as his own Flexercise System but that he had NEVER SEEN a copy of the Atlas Course before I personally gave him a copy. I BELIEVED HIM. Jim also believed that there was no need to go beyond 100 Atlas Push-Ups that he renamed 'Panther Flex'. Jim believed that if you did all five of the chest exercises with equal intensity that 100 reps on the Panther Flex would be enough.

However, even if you got to the advanced level on all 40 of Big Jim's exercises you would reach a point of stalemate. You would have a superb development that you would always maintain if you did it daily BUT you would not go beyond that point AND THAT IS WHERE A WEIGHT VEST COMES IN. Seriously, a weight vest would be the only way that I know of to take Jim's exercises to a higher level. You certainly don't need to unless your desire is added size and strength created in direct relationship to your body weight at the moment you are doing it.

The above is my answer to whether or not I am weight training by using a Weight Vest and the answer is YES!!! But a very specific type of training that gives maximum benefits to Transformetrics Body Weight Training.

---John Peterson

Share |

Author

09-09-2019, 01:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

To the man that just e-mailed me....NO!!! It is not necessary to use a weight vest ever unless you have reached a point at which further gains are not forthcoming and you want to add size without adding fat. It is then that you use a weight vest that YOU DO NOT TAKE OFF during your workout in order to build incredible lung power. Even a very light vest will be a challenge at first. In time you may be awed by what happens.

---John Peterson

Share |

Author

09-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Hello Friends,

An answer to another e-mail.

Question: "Are you saying you can't take your development as far with your Transformetrics Training System as you can when training with a weight vest?"

Answer: You can take high volume exercise to an extraordinary degree of development. Once again let me point out that Jack King won the Masters Mr. America with the feet elevated Push-Up as his foundational exercise. Jack was doing 1,000 or more reps in each of his two weekly Push-Up workouts. When Jack won the Masters Mr. America he weighed 160 pounds at 5'10". He was thrilled. I specifically asked him why he went back to the weights after winning the Masters Mr. America. His response was, "Because I went as far as the Push-Up would take me and I wondered if I could take it further by going back to weights. Within 6 months I was in a world of pain in my shoulders and couldn't even go back to Push-Ups at that point."

I am going to now make a conjecture that I have nothing to back up other than my own experience with the Iso-Power Belt and Weight Vest Push-Ups. At age 67 I believe I have regained my muscular peak by switching from volume to high intensity and I have a feeling that Jack could have done the same thing by using a weight vest with his Push-Ups. His muscles responded beautifully to Push-Ups so I think if he built his reps back up to sets of 100 while wearing a 20-pound weight vest he could have added even more size. That is my conjecture and I may be wrong but I doubt it.

---John Peterson

Share |