Share |
Dynamic Virtual Resistance

Author

11-27-2019, 07:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

I received an e-mail from a man that purchased The Miracle Seven and he has a question.

He stated that another author that teaches the same concept has his students completing 3 repetitions at the beginning stage, 6 repetitions at the intermediate stage and 9 repetitions at the advanced stage whereas I teach the Tiger Moves to be performed at 3 sets of 10 repetitions each in a circuit format completing exercises #1 through #7 in consecutive order and repeating the sequence in 3 circuits.

He is wondering why I recommend 3 X 10 and someone else would recommend 9 for his advanced students.

The answer is that I was relating the information exactly as received from John McSweeney.

BUT let me point out that in Miracle Seven on page 33 I stated:

Moderate intensity was to be performed 8 to 10 reps for 3 sets.

Heavy or High Intensity was 6 to 8 reps for 2 to 3 sets

Ultra-High Intensity was 3 to 5 reps for 2 sets.

The point is that the Higher the Intensity the lower the number of reps required. Believe me, 2 sets of 3 to 5 reps at Ultra-High Intensity is extremely vigorous and has to be experienced to realize just how intense it really is. But the most important thing to remember is that these are only recommendations everyone is encouraged to find their own best reps and sets.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

12-01-2019, 09:46 AM

John,
I think that you have to repeat again and again that, "you are your own coach."
Aside from being a friend, I think of you as my fitness guru. I have all your books and at a bare minimum on a weekly basis, I use all your concepts: DSRs, DVRs, pushups, pullups ISOs....
That said, I don't think that our workouts look all that much alike.
We both do pushups, you use a weight vest and keep your reps per set are under 25 and I don't use a vest and my reps per set are 50 or more. I set a timer and have at least 10 minutes between sets and you pound out your sets with far less rest.
I like DSRs, I have my favorite movements, and I am not in lockstep with Charles Atlas (I don't think you are in lockstep with Charles Atlas either) but I do think my rep ranges are much higher than yours.
I have not done the Miracle Seven in a couple of years, but I use the DVR concept multiple times a week, using movements that I like with rep ranges far higher than any that you have ever suggested.

As individuals we have to think through our workouts and figure out what is best for us.

Tim

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

12-01-2019, 03:05 PM

We all have to train in our own way, we pick on things, get coached or learn on our own. Fitness is a journey, not a destination and we each have to follow our own path. John's way of doing things isn't meant for everyone and neither is TimK's. If we did the same style routine as someone else, where does it leave for the rest of us to grow?

John and others can do things I can't but I can do things they can't and it's not whether one is better or superior than the other, it's what we are able to do at the time that works for us as an individual. Personally, I can't stand following the same routine as someone else, I don't like trying to keep up their pace, their technique and their skillset, that's not the way real training works.

Do what works for you and what makes you happy and if you're not getting the results you want, change it and make it worthwhile for you only. I haven't practiced DVRs in a while and after some time, I haven't even thought about them. They're good and have great benefit but I'm left feeling bored and not very happy at times cause I question if I'm doing them for the right reasons for me? I prefer Isometrics and animal movement over most things these days.

DVRs are a good and have produced results but they're not going to do anyone any good if the mindset isn't there and can be a waste of time if someone isn't into it. If someone was into it and made it work for them, the benefits are worth it every time they train. If I were to train DVRs, I just do one set of 10 of the miracle seven and that's it, otherwise my attention tends to go off the rails and it isn't fun anymore.

Share |