Share |
Swoboda's 5-Minutes

Author

03-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Hello My Friends,

I received an e-mail from a man asking me if I could specifically point out where Swoboda states that it is unnecessary to perform his full course once one has achieved a satisfactory level of development.

What he is referring to is found in a letter that appears between Lesson 6 and 7. In all Swoboda featured 7 Lessons in his original course.

He states it this way:

Quote:
"There is, however, no need of continuing my full course after you have attained a satisfactory condition, for exercise, in time, becomes a burden, just the same as anything else which we take as a duty to ourselves. I shall, therefore, suggest a short course in my next letter which will enable you to retain the very highest state of perfection indefinitely, which you will obtain from the full course. This short course, however, you will not take now, for you are not as yet in possession of the benefits the full course can give you.

Regardless of whether we like it or not, it is, nevertheless, a fact, that the cells of the body require a certain amount of exercise. When you have, therefore, developed the tissues of your body, you will be able to give this needed quantity of exercise to your nerves and muscles with less than five minutes of attention per day. In my own case I average less than two minutes per day, sometimes taking a little more and at other times even less, and yet I am able to maintain myself in the highest state of development and efficiency. I know that you can do likewise, for the laws of physiology are the same for you as they are for me. In Nature, there is no inequality before the law."

In the following Lesson, he then outlines 8-specific exercises to be performed just one set each from his full course of 19 exercises that he obviously believed to be most important. Five of the exercises are what we refer to as Iso-Dynamic Contraction exercises and three are bodyweight calisthenics that include an Iso-Dynamic component to them. They are Push-ups, Crunches, and Squats. Interestingly enough, I think Swoboda may have been the first Physical Culturist to incorporate 'Crunches' into his exercise system.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-18-2019, 04:07 PM

I like and believe in 5 minutes or 2 minutes to preserve your self.

Do you have any pics of swoboda?

Its very similiar to Atlas perpetual lesson in concept of most vital moves.

I believe alot the excercises in these courses are good but could be trimmed to the bare essentials and still get the same results.

Excercise a burden very true its defiantly a task..thats why Im liking edwin checkly and swoboda for their ideas of brevity and turning daily movements into excercises

Share |

Legacy Member

03-18-2019, 04:54 PM

Checkley was a genius.

Share |

03-18-2019, 04:55 PM

You don't need that much exercise particularly members of our aging population don't need it and won't do it.. I am 80 years old and for the last 10+ years I have only been doing Bob Hoffmans' One Minute,A Day Routine: [Six,10 second, antagonistic Isometric contractions targeting major muscle groups] which lately I have been doing with the Iso Power Belt, and I feel great.

SVOBODA -- Charlotte "Lucy," died 12-23-2002 Lincoln, NE
Replies: 8
Re: SVOBODA -- Charlotte "Lucy," died 12-23-2002 Lincoln, NE
Sharlet Di Giorgio (View posts)
Posted: 08 Apr 2003 03:55PM
Classification: Query
Edited: 08 Apr 2003 04:26PM
Surnames: Svoboda, Swoboda
My grandmother was Helen Aloisia Swoboda. She was born in Omaha, NE on January 26, 1895. Died in Michigan in 1985. She was a peace activist and suffragette. She was the daughter of Alois P. Swoboda, born in Vienna, Austria, March 8, 1873. Alois arrived in NYC in 1881 with his father, Adolf Swoboda, to live with a relative. Eventually, he became known as one of the leading physical culturalists in America. Charles Atlas was quoted as saying that "everything he knew he learned from A.P. Swoboda".
Swoboda became a millionaire at 28, and my grandmother was raised in elegant luxury. Helen attended finishing school in England at a presitgious named, "The School for the Daughters of Gentlemen." There were two other sisters, Emilie and Lillian. Lillian had some minor roles under the name of Evona Dione in silent films.

Last edited by Andy62; 03-18-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Share |