Legacy Member

02-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Hey Flash11740,

Thanks for the idea.

I've heard "juicing" mentioned more than once on the forum. But, to be completely honest, I’m not all THAT familiar with it.

Maybe I’ve always run into the “road block” of purchasing a “juicer”, and stopped there. Between money and space, that isn’t a practical option. HOWEVER, we do already own a “Magic Bullet”, which I THINK can do juicing, even if not up to the exact same standards.

Can I get input/opinions from others on “juicing”??

Is it safe?

Are there proven health benefits?

What are the possible side effects?

Rob

Share |

02-10-2010, 02:40 PM

The key thing is to blend your fruit and juice your veg. Never juice fruit other than apples or pears because it liberates the fructose. If you blend the fruit in a blender then the fibre stays in there and the sugars are used to help digest the fibre which is fine.

But to get maximum benefit you need to juice veg because raw veg is pretty much indigestible but contains 10x as much goodness as cooked veg (that includes steaming, stir frying etc). If you get a live enzyme juicer then any juice you make will happily live for 2-3 days in the fridge and taste like you just made it. Inferior juicers produce juice that goes off in a few minutes. The live enzymes are also very good for you.

In terms of safety I always fins it amusing that people will pop OTC meds, prescriptions, supplements, etc quite happily... then worry about consuming fresh raw vegetable juice LOL. There's probably NOTHING ON THIS EARTH better for you!

I too worried about space when I first got a juicer, but after experiencing the benefits that machine has now become the most important appliance in my kitchen. I use it every single day (unless I'm water fasting).

My training partner was struggling to make weight for his last MMA match. He already had very low BF, but he'd entered into a weight class (just to get the fight) that required him to lose 6lbs. He was really struggling and basically staving himself, and was very low on energy and also losing muscle. I got him started on juicing and now he's able to make weight easily without compromising on muscle. He never looked this cut in the past. Old Jack Lalanne really knew his stuff

Share |

Legacy Member

02-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Hi Blackbelt,

Thought I would weigh in on the topic, as I also am very concerned with keeping size down while trimming fat, being a rock climber and all. For myself I have been losing weight for a couple of years now, but have had a lot of success with GUTS. I am getting smaller, fat wise, while looking stronger overall and fitting into my current clothing even better (no need to buy anything new.)

You say that you don't think you have time for this, but perhaps it may be time to consider making time for it? I understand you've a wife, and sounds like a baby on the way, but consider what April had said in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April View Post
Truthfully, sometimes I feel guilty about the time I spend every day on exercise. There are so many things I could be doing for my family instead. But I have to look at it the same way you would look at servicing your car. If you don't do it, the car doesn't run well and you'll eventually have problems. Our body is our main "vehicle" so we need to take care of it.
Perhaps my own opinions of time and such will change once I'm with child of my own, however April articulated a similar story that one of my friends has recently been through. Her child is now 4, but for the first 3 years of Ally's life my friend just lived for her. Let her weight get out of control and took no time to keep herself in shape. Over the last year she made the conscious choice to start working out daily (and this is a professional woman with a 40+ hour a week job.) Over the last year she has lost the fat that she put on during and after the pregnancy and is even below her married weight (which she's super excited about.) These days she feels great, loves being able to see her progress and loves being able to spend time being active with the kids.

How'd she do it, with consistent workouts and using calorie counting. This is also the method I've been using and have found it very effective.

For information on my success with calorie counting see:

http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...ead.php?t=4057

Also, you'd mentioned that you were concerned about the counting aspect of GUTS, this might help:

http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...read.php?t=974

Sorry, don't know the scripting on how to make the hyperlinks just be text in my wording. (someone teach me please :-D )

In the end, it'll be up to you which route you take, and find what's right for you. It's great that you're getting so many options, and drawing from the communities joint experiences. If you have any questions about the calorie counting side or things like that I'm happy to help (even if it means pointing you to someone who knows better lol.)

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |

Legacy Member

02-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omad0n View Post
You say that you don't think you have time for this, but perhaps it may be time to consider making time for it?
You have a VERY good point there omad0n.

I've already been putting forth an effort to get in a better workout in the mornings. Mornings are when I like to do my workouts most. That way, nothing can "come up" and prevent me from working out daily.

I’m a morning person, while my wife is not. And, one of my biggest obstacles is that I can’t, or at least don’t feel like I can, do much until I KNOW she’s at least sitting up in bed. That’s kind of my cue to go and do my workout, etc.

I’m already trying to find ways of getting some activity in before/while she’s waking up.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

02-11-2010, 09:37 AM

By the way, I completely forgot to mention that I “experimented” with one of my ideas from above this morning.

After a short warm up of push-ups, sit-ups, and squats, I did:

10 squats
Bicep ISO-right side
10 squats
Bicep ISO-left side
10 squats
Shoulder press ISO-right side
10 squats
Bicep ISO-left side

I ended with some inward kicks and stretching.

Although I still have to play with my squat number, as 10 just doesn’t seem like enough, I really think I may be onto something with this routine.

I’m also considering whether I want to do ISO’s or DVR’s, purely due to the movement factor. I get a bit anal when it comes to hitting the different angles of CIC’s on consecutive days. With the new baby come soon (due March 7), I’m sure I’ll end up missing a day or two. So, DVR’s will ensure I still hit all of my proverbial bases.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

02-17-2010, 11:31 AM

A little update.

I've been experimenting with doing 20 seconds of exercise, followed by a 10 second rest. If I’m “in a groove” I can get 15 squats in during that time frame. Both last Friday and yesterday/Monday, I managed to get in 6 sets totaling 90 reps. Although my legs did feel a tad-bit wobbly, on and off during the day, I never experienced soreness. Today, I hit 7 sets, making the total 105. So far, I have the same experience.

NOW, I’m playing with the idea of slowing down my reps, maybe to 10 reps in 20 seconds. I’ll do a few sets of these, followed by the holding of the horse/side-stance, while performing hand techniques. If I hold this deep enough, it SHOULD give a good workout.

Thanks again for all of the replies on this.

Rob

Share |

02-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelt View Post
has anyone had a good experience with a workout that burns fat, while not gaining too much muscle?
BB;

Two entirely different things - muscle and fat. You can keep muscle while losing fat through a strict nutritional and exercise program. The experience John gives at the end of PYTP (page 179) about the Air Force corporal that got into great shape by intensifying his workout and cutting out junk food is inspirational.

While some gain both, or lose both, at the same time a well-thought program will yield great results.

Jack

Share |

Tags
weight loss