Share |
We can drop the line “Abs are made in the kitchen”

Legacy Member

03-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Whenever I see someone ask John Peterson about losing fat, he always recommends exercises. Whenever that happens here on the forum, invariably someone will parrot Vince Gironda’s line, “Abs are made in the kitchen.” Or some variation thereof.

Now look, I hope I don’t come off as condescending but nothing can be more pedantic than, “Abs are made in the kitchen.” That kind of message is so myopic that it literally sets people up for failure. An overweight man or woman who makes that their creed is destined to live a lifestyle of yo-yo dieting; a cycle of binge eating followed by starvation diets, one after the other.

What some people do not understand, is that John Peterson’s recommendations for exercise are about changing lifestyle. Your focus needs to be holistic, not myopic. Transform yourself from a couch potato to an athlete, body, mind and spirit, and you won’t be asking about how to lose weight. You’ll see the weight coming off every day.

But you have to change everything. Your mindset, your routines, your habits, and often times you have to change your relationships as well. Diet’s on that list of things to change, but it ain’t nowhere near the top, brother, I can tell you that without a doubt. Trying to hop to some cabbage soup diet or sardines and oatmeal will cause you to shed a few pounds but not for long.

I feel sorry for people who are constantly yo-yoing. I’ve done my fair share of yo-yoing in the past, I’ve been as big as 270lbs and as low as 170lbs, up and down, up and down. It wasn’t until I got John’s books that I really changed permanently. This is my third year with Transformetrics and I’ve NEVER gained any significant fat back in these years. I started around 250lbs with a 45” waist and today I weight 180lbs with a 34” waist. As a matter of fact, my physical state was so poor when I started that my arms measured in at 12” when I weighted 250lbs, today (60lbs lighter) they’re 14.5” and I can do physical feats I would have never dreamed of in the past.

Not too long ago someone here on the forum asked me if I expected to gain my weight back and seemed almost incredulous when I was so confident that I would not. Its such norm, yo-yo dieting, that when someone like me says, “I’m not going to gain the weight back,” people take it as cocky. But it’s not cocky at all, it’s just the facts, jack. And it’s the facts because I don’t subscribe to some kind of myopic view that “Abs are made in the kitchen.”

You tell the average couch potato that it’s all about diet and you’re dooming him/her to failure. Now, if you convince them to get off their butts and start moving, if you convince them to change their mindset leave their old self behind and become a new person. You better just get out of the way!

-Joe

Share |

03-23-2010, 07:58 AM

But Joe, I work out in kitchen. That's where my kitchen chairs are!

Embrace the challenge. Refuse to fail.

Share |

Legacy Member

03-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Then I take it all back!

-Joe

Share |

Author

03-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Hey Joe,

Didn't we have a great time in El Paso? I don't recall You, Tim, Mike, Mason, or me even remotely worrying about enjoying ourselves when we went out to eat. We ate great food and had a great time. Not one of us even thought about calories or what to not eat. We each ate what we knew would build us and not diminish us. In the future, when we have multi-day seminars we will have great food and lots of it. Everything we teach is about daily strength and fitness our abs are ripped 24/7 and not as the resulting of special deprivation diets for a few weeks each year.

Now having just said what I said above, let me also state that I hate when I'm around somebody that is constantly counting every gram and calorie and acts as though what they deprive themselves of is a badge of honor. An unnaturally emaciated look like I have seen on some of the exercise infomercials is for the birds as far as I am concerned. That is not living in health. And besides as you know from us being together it's not possible to train daily at the intensity that all five us mentioned above train at daily without eating a good well rounded balanced diet with no deprivation. The easiest way in the world to become a jerk that nobody wants to be around that is always in a bad mood is to deprive ourselves of good and necessary food.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-23-2010, 10:13 AM

I like the no excuses message.

I will never say abs are made in the kitchen.

Abs are lost in the kitchen.

Tom

Share |

03-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Great post Joe...Thank you!!!!

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

Legacy Member

03-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Abs are lost in the kitchen.
And on the couch.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

03-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Gironda used to say that bodybuilding was 80% diet. That may be true for contest bodybuilding, but what we are promoting here is general health and fitness. Besides, have any of you ever tried one of Vince Gironda's diets?

Some of his diets for detoxing the body were great for short term health benefits. Also his recommendation that people on a high protein diet go fruit and vegetable vegetarian on the weekends was a good one. However, in general, his bodybuilding diets weren't something one could stay on day in and day out for any great length of time.

My favorite was the six raw fertile eggs mixed in half/in/half. Yes, I got it down, but it brought on an almost instantaneous trip to the john. My body couldn't get rid of that stuff fast enough, and it wasn't because I was throwing it up.

Do you see where I am come from? As Joe and John are trying to point out, the quick dietary fixes don't last long. As you modify your exercise habits, modify your eating habits. Eat smaller portions and eat more unprocessed foods. It is as simple as that.

Greg

Share |

03-23-2010, 03:41 PM

My diet is one thing that I have been wondering about for a long time. I eat almost every chance I get and I still have very little fat. Some people may say that abs are made in the kitchen, even though I may not have a perfect six pack, and I understand cleaning up my diet would be benificial, I can testify that abs are not made in the kitchen, but by hard work and determination(and confidence, nothing can work if you don't believe it will).

Share |

Banned

03-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Great post Joe.

Greg you got it down says it all.

Smoked baby back ribs are made in the kitchen to; Oh Baby. Good food can be healthy food. I;ve always felt mankind needs lots of fruit, vegetables and lean protein, not lots of sweets, fat and lard.

Share |

Tags
diet, joe justice, weight loss