Share |
SuperMan Wheel Push-Ups From Feet?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Author

01-07-2019, 05:32 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have received an email from a man that had seen a video clip of me performing a series of Superman Wheel Roll-Outs from standing and he wonders if it is a safe exercise to perform.

Short answer: NO!!!

Long answer: Hello Paul, my personal opinion is that the Superman Wheel Roll-Out is among the most intensive feats of strength that one can perform for the abdominal, latissimus, and spinal erector muscles. It is not really a strength development exercise but rather a feat of strength. You could take 100 strong and very fit men and I assure you that fewer than 10 out of 100 would be able to do it even once.For example 40 years ago I was a member of the Minnesota Distance Runners Association and at a meeting my friend Andy suggested I bring my wheel to see how many men or women could perform it. I didn't think it was a big deal but out of more 30 people not one besides me could do it. I mention this because almost everyone there had run a marathon and some even ultra-marathons, so these were people that were far stronger and fitter than the average. I was truly amazed that night and when I told my grandfather about it he said, "It has as much to do with leverage and weight distribution as it does to do with strength. You just have the right proportions for it so don't give yourself too much credit."

The point is that that particular feat does require a high level of strength to body weight ratio as well as perfect leverage and weight distribution. It just so happens that I have the right kind of body type to perform it efficiently but trust me on this, it is not a strength development exercise in the normal sense of the word and I do think that there would be a high level of injury for those that try to hard.
---John Peterson

Share |