Share |
VIDEO: Certified He-Man Episode 1 - DSR Pre-Exhaustion

Legacy Member

09-03-2009, 09:09 PM

Joe, that was great, you explain everything great. I have a question, what would you suggest for the thighs? maybe that is coming in a future episode. you make great videos, keep bringing them on, great stuff.

Share |

09-04-2009, 01:32 AM

Cool video. What's the reasoning behind doing the DSRs to finish, and not more of the exercises themselves. They'll finish ya quicker. Well, they finish me quicker.

I do like DSRs when not in a position to do the cals. I do them a little differently, though, I think - I don't have the rural access anymore and can't pit one lamb against the other lamb anymore.

Tom

Share |

09-04-2009, 01:41 AM

Joe..that was awesome man! Keep up the good work!!

Share |

Legacy Member

09-04-2009, 04:48 AM

Excellent Video Joe!! Looking Good Man

Share |

Legacy Member

09-04-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynogoalie30 View Post
Joe, that was great, you explain everything great. I have a question, what would you suggest for the thighs? maybe that is coming in a future episode. you make great videos, keep bringing them on, great stuff.
I've found legs very hard to work with DSR and DVR exercises. They're much, much stronger than any upper body muscles, so you can't use the upper body as resistance and they have limited mobility, particularly if you aren't flexible, so it's hard to work them against themselves.

Gtlaau's suggestions are right in line with what mine would be. Focus on isometrics rather than DSR and DVRs on the legs. In addition to the wall squats, use the Isometric Power Belt to do squats and deadlifts. For calisthenic pairing, use bodyweight squats and lunges. Squats will work more on your quads while lunges work your glues and hamstring more. Also do Atlas Full Range Sit-Ups, that is keeping your legs flat on the ground while doing a sit-up, the isometric hold required to keep you legs down will help balance your quads and hamstrings.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

09-04-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Cool video. What's the reasoning behind doing the DSRs to finish, and not more of the exercises themselves. They'll finish ya quicker. Well, they finish me quicker.
Several reasons, all involving bodybuilding rather than conditioning...

Compound movements (calisthenics) are going to be limited by the strongest muscle in the group. If your back is strong and your biceps are weak, then weak biceps are limiting your gains in chin-ups. Giving your biceps a little extra TLC can be extremely valuable.

At some point calisthenics become a test of muscular endurance and your cardiovascular system. Endurance exercises work primarily the Type I muscle fibers, while the kind of high tension exercises of DSRs and isometrics work the Type II. Type IIs are mostly responsible for raw power and hypertrophy.

Being "finished" may mean you're out of oxygen or glycogen, but it doesn't mean that all your muscle fibers have been thoroughly exhausted.

In my pre-exhaustion routine here, while the calisthenics pair with the DSRs do tax your Type Is and the follow-up DSRs tax your Type II, the real goal is to empower you to fully understand just how to utilize your own body as resistance rather than relying on an outside force. Many people have a hard time with that concept and that's very understandable. I think using pre-exhaustion and really feeling that deep contraction without weights for the first time will help people understand.

-Joe

Share |

09-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Great video. My 3 younger boys watched it with me. They are inspired. When I asked if they are ready to start, one said he is waiting until winter to start. As my oldest son says: "If this is the Holy Land, why is it hot as Hell?"

Is that your back yard? Pretty nice place to exercise.

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Banned

09-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Outstanding info, Joe!. You have taken Transformetrics to a new level by demonstrativly showing an enhanced version of DSR. Your improvements will be a welcome addition which takes PYTP and Powerflex methods to the next level. Thanks again, I'll use this video as a guide to improve my DSR work.

Share |

09-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
how to utilize your own body as resistance rather than relying on an outside force. Many people have a hard time with that concept and that's very understandable. I think using pre-exhaustion and really feeling that deep contraction without weights for the first time will help people understand.
That makes sense. Good job.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

09-04-2009, 05:27 PM

gtlaau and joe thank you for the suggestion, I am going to use your suggestions, thanks again.

Share |

Tags
certified he-man, joe justice, video