01-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Hello!

I rummaged in another forum by the name of fighterfitnessforum.com
There is a lot of the training stuff with bodyweigth exercises like here.

In an tread they discussed the "pro" and "cons" of heavy BWEs like one-legged-squats, handstand-pushups, and one-arm-pushups and the more easy but higher in vloume BWEs like push-uzps, chin-and pull-ups and squats.

What are YOUR opinions, pros and cons and experiences??
What put in a good word for high-volume-push-ups? How correct is the training with with 1armPU like Pavel teach?

It would be a great pleasure to read your answers!!
Best regards!

Share |

Legacy Member

01-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Hi Reader,

I can give you my opinion and experience. I can do a lot of one arm pushups. However, I do one arms as a stunt, not as an exercise for development. There is too much risk of tearing something in the rotator cuff for a lot people. If I can do a lot of two armed pushups, I can do a lot of one arms, but the ability to do one arms doesn't help with two armed pushups.

Greg

Share |

01-23-2011, 04:12 PM

I've recently been attempting to do 1-leg squats once a week. But I do them assisted with my hands on gymnastic rings. That feels great and doesn't seem to cause any problems with my knees so far. My legs feel really strong after practicing this. I should say that I can't yet do pistols without assistance though, and I'm going to pay close attention to how my knees and hips feel to make sure this isn't causing me any problems.

Handstand pushups (I can only do partial ROM) have always put a lot of stress on my wrists, but I've been meaning to make up some parallettes to see if that would help. I think hand balancing and handstand pushups have a lot of benefits, but I don't know anybody who trains these as a regular part of their conditioning program.

I can't speak to 1-arm pushups because I can't do them. Regular pushups and their varieties (not to mention warrior power tees, pushups on gymnastic rings, etc.) are tough enough for me!

Share |

Author

01-23-2011, 05:47 PM

Hey Friends,

We have answered this question many times over the years. But here's my take. Like Greg Newton, I think that one arm push-ups and one legged squats are good tests of strength but I would not recommend them as foundational exercises for development because the risk of injury is much too high. Not only that but it's not lost on me that Gama, Charles Atlas, Earle Liederman, Herschel Walker, Charles Bronson(The prisoner), Woody Strode, Rocky Marciano, Rickey Henderson, Jack King and other men that have used body weight exercise to maximize their development have never mentioned One Arm Push-Ups or One Legged Squats as part of their foundational training. Greg Newton and I are not unique in this. So the bottom line is that those exercises are excellent feats of strength but not recommended for physique development.

Now, to develop incredible strength this is where Isometric Contraction offers a distinct advantage over other forms of training. With Isometrics one actually protects joints, tendons and ligaments.

---John Peterson

Share |

01-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Good point re: isometrics, John. Isometrics as you teach in Isometric Power Revolution are truly for developing maximum strength without injury to joints, tendons, and ligaments. I need to figure out a way to incorporate those again into my program. I always feel incredibly strong after a session of Isometrics.

Share |

01-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Thank you for your answers!

Share |