Share |
Push-Ups, Shoulders & Healing

Author

01-24-2011, 04:16 PM

Hey Friends,

There are quite a number of men that are surprised that Jack King was able to heal his shoulders by performing incredibly high volume Push-Ups twice each week. Personally, I'm not surprised at all because Jack performed them with his feet elevated at a steep angle and he did them at a very fast clip which would pump vital healing nutrients into the muscles (via the blood stream) and ultimately deliver healing nutrients to his connective tissues and shoulder joints as well. I'm not saying that healing happened overnight. BUT healing did happen and this particular variation of Push-Up was one of the prime reasons that he was able to heal.

Now let me just say that the Atlas III variation has also done wonders for my shoulders. In my case my feet are elevated to 34" and hands are on two 12' boxes that are spaced with 21" between them. I perform 300 to 360 in sets of 30 (if super-setted With pull-Ups) to 52 going full range and performed every day / 6 days each week. Truth is, I also perform at least 100 on my off day on Sunday. (how's that for a positive addiction?). And sometimes, later in the day, I will perform ultra fast partials as my friend Jack King recommends and do so in sets of 100 or more but that is on rare occasions and not counted as part of my morning 300.

Another thing that must be addressed in using Atlas Push-Ups for shoulder rehabilitation is to do the Atlas DVR/DSR exercises of Atlas Lesson#1 and as found in PYTP between sets of Push-Ups(exercise #1) . These include #2) Maximum Amplitude Arm Circles(Moving arms outward and upward in a circular motion while crossing arms in the front and pressing down), Exercise #3)Reverse Grip "Up, Back and Over" (This is performed just like Charles Atlas's exercise#3 of Lesson #1 and Big Jim's bear Flex1) with the added dimension of bringing the clenched hands that are pulling apart over head and then bending the arms at the elbow and lowering the clenched hands as low as possible behind the neck(do not bend the neck forward) and contracting the biceps at peak contraction for 2-seconds before extending the arms straight up and then lowering them in front while maintaining tension. #4) Atlas Rope Pull Down while Flexing #5) Side to Side Angled Press Down and extend. #6) The Milo

Each of the above DVR/DSR should be done in sets of 30 to 70 reps accompanied by deep breathing at light to moderate tension as just one set each in between sets of Atlas Push-Ups. In other words, perform a set of Atlas III's followed by 50 to 70 light to moderate tension reps of exercise #2. This then is followed by another set of Atlas III's which is followed by exercise#3 and so forth until you finish your workout.

The reason these DVR/DSR exercises are critical is because they prevent muscular imbalances from occurring while dramatically enhancing flexibility of the entire shoulder structure. I realize that Mr. Atlas included these exercises in his "Chest" Building Lesson # 1) but the truth is these exercises are shoulder exercises that protect the shoulders and prevent muscular imbalances.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-25-2011, 01:47 AM

Wow,

Excelelnt, EXCELLENT post! For somebody recovering from a shoulder injury (I did it exactly 2 years ago at the end of this month!!) - this is the kind of post that keeps me coming back here for more!

I will be changing my current training to include ALL of the above!

Thanks (yet again) John

- KP

Share |

01-25-2011, 10:56 AM

Yes! I agree totally with kenpopaul!!
A great post AND I exercise with feet-elevated, too.
The same experience. After my muscle popped - due to an ultra-isometric contraction ( I didn't warm-up ) THAT is the exercise that healed me and build me up!!

A great one!!

Transformetrics is MORE than building muscles

Share |

01-25-2011, 06:12 PM

I think that's a great plan for recovery from injur or even for deconditioned exercisers, Bill. Even experienced pushup fanatics find benefit from doing occassional high rep wall or countertop pushups. I've been using these lately to up my endurance for regular pushups.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

John:

Could you please guide me in the exercises you mentioned? I pulled out my copy of PYTP, but the only exercise I can figure out was the Rope Pull. The numbers and descriptions don't seem to match what's in PYTP. Could you please clarify? Thank you in advance

Share |

Legacy Member

01-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Hi mc,

Let me put this in perspective.

Quote:
Each of the above DVR/DSR should be done in sets of 30 to 70 reps accompanied by deep breathing at light to moderate tension as just one set each in between sets of Atlas Push-Ups. In other words, perform a set of Atlas III's followed by 50 to 70 light to moderate tension reps of exercise #2. This then is followed by another set of Atlas III's which is followed by exercise#3 and so forth until you finish your workout.

Previously in PYTP, the most reps of DSR'sfor moderate tension that John recommended was 30. The key is moderate tension. Now John is taking it a step further by recommending that you do light to moderate tension DSR's between pushups for 30-70 reps. The focus is the deep breathing and oxygenating the body with blood. It is just another strategy to enhance what we promote.

We are not dogmatic here other than that we promote using the body's own forces. We recognize it takes different ways to build the body. The body adapts to an exercise program over time. You have to change things up periodically to keep the body and mind fresh.

Greg Newton

Share |

Legacy Member

01-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Hi Greg:

Thank you for responding. My fault, I wasn't clear enough. What I meant by numbers and descriptions were the ;excercise numbers and the descriptons in John's post, i.e. #2 tMaximun Amplitude Arm Circles or Exercise #3 Reverse Grip 'Up, Back anbd Over". These didn't seem to match what was in my copy of PYTP.

Manny

Share |

01-28-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj6417 View Post
Hi Greg:

Thank you for responding. My fault, I wasn't clear enough. What I meant by numbers and descriptions were the ;excercise numbers and the descriptons in John's post, i.e. #2 tMaximun Amplitude Arm Circles or Exercise #3 Reverse Grip 'Up, Back anbd Over". These didn't seem to match what was in my copy of PYTP.

Manny
The arm circles are part of the warm up routine I believe.

Superman, Superman, wish I could fly like superman
Superman, Superman, I want to be like superman

Share |

Legacy Member

01-29-2011, 12:33 PM

I gotcha Manny,

CH-3, Crossover Pressdown, and CH-6, Pull Apart, Up and Over, except you cup the hands instead of locking the fingers.

Greg

Share |

Legacy Member

01-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Greg, I have a question, when I do standard push-ups,my shoulders ache when I am doing them, but when I do Atlas 1-2-or 3 push-ups, my shoulders dont seem to hurt at all, even when I do hindu push-ups my shoulders dont hurt, is it because of the angle I am doing the push-ups at that are not hurting my shoulders? I enjoy doing regular push-ups sometimes, but when I do them, my shoulders pay the price, just wondering if you had an answer for me , thanks for any suggestions

Share |