Share |
Is Milk Good for You?

08-09-2011, 09:39 AM

John, Greg or others,

I know Charles Atlas recommended milk as part of a good diet. I wonder what your thoughts are on this? I currently drink about 1 - 2 cups (8-16oz) of non-fat milk daily and we get from it from a dairy directly (pasteurized) as opposed to buying from grocery stores. I'm wondering if one needs to lose weight whether you would recommend discontinuing milk while losing weight?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Share |

08-09-2011, 09:57 AM

One man's milk is another man's poison. In my own opinion, whole RAW milk, especially raw goat's milk, has some benefit, but I personally would never drink pasteurized milk. I'm sure others think differently.

How is your weight loss coming?

Share |

08-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Cow's milk is for calves.

Share |

08-09-2011, 12:00 PM

It depends on your tolerance to dairy. Cutting dairy out will absolutelt help cut body fat but its not the only way. If ur looking to gain a little mass...milk is a good way but so is peanut butter and jelly.

Share |

Author

08-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Hello jonlclay,

Your question: "I know Charles Atlas recommended milk as part of a good diet. I wonder what your thoughts are on this? I currently drink about 1 - 2 cups (8-16oz) of non-fat milk daily and we get from it from a dairy directly (pasteurized) as opposed to buying from grocery stores. I'm wondering if one needs to lose weight whether you would recommend discontinuing milk while losing weight?"

Answer: Jon, Obviously there are wide ranging opinions about the benefits of dairy products as a major source of food and nutrition. For some people milk is nearly impossible to digest. For others like the Hunza people that are said to live well past 100 years of age, kefir and yogurt that are made from raw goats milk are a major part of their diet. I think the answer is that it is obvious that some people handle dairy better than others. And if you are going to consume milk I personally think that raw unpasteurized is the way to go.

On another note, I have seen it stated many, many times that human beings are the only animal on this planet that consume milk after being weaned and are also the only animal that gets it's milk from other sources. Generally, when I read things like that I am also reminded that human beings are also the only animals that cook food, use utinsels, use soap, shampoo and tooth brushes, wear clothing, make alcoholic beverages, style their hair, live in artificial light, make nuclear bombs to kill other people or have the ability to consciously think and override instinctual desire. So when people get on their soapbox and start preaching only one way to so-called "natural living" my question is, "How far are you willing to live that out? Do you really want to live a completely natural lifestyle? I seriously doubt that most people want to live a "natural" lifestyle but would much rather have 'elements of a natural lifestyle available to them'. That said, Jon, I am neither for nor against dairy. In your case I recommend that you try it both ways for a month straight and document each and every day. A month should be long enough to begin seeing specific patterns emerge. At that point you can make up your own mind relative to the benefits of milk and dairy products.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-09-2011, 01:03 PM

What's about Farmers Cheese!

It's a good protein resource, isn't it?!

Share |

08-09-2011, 01:33 PM

I drink skim milk because I digest it well & it's a great source of slow absorption protein. My opinion has always been that it is the milk fat that we don't need beyond early childhood.
Mike

Share |

Author

08-09-2011, 01:43 PM

hey friends,

I know a Physiologist at the University of Minnesota that swears that chocolate skim milk is the ultimate recovery drink for athletes. He has even tested athletes to validate his theories.

Bottom line: you can prove almost anything you want if you stack the deck the right way.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-09-2011, 03:04 PM

John
funny you say that, I had an NCO that was incharge of the training when I first started fighing in the Army and he swore by choclate skim milk and preached its virtuesto us daily. I drank it a little in Iraq but that was mostly because the cow milk tasted like crap and never agreed with my stomach, this is where i first started drinking soy milk.

Share |

Banned

08-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Chocolate skim milk is a great pick me up after a workout John.I drink it every morning!

Share |