Share |
Effectiveness of doing push ups throughut the day?

04-27-2011, 06:57 AM

Hi folks.

Lately, due to time constraints, I've found myself doing many sets of push ups throughout the day. I'll just "drop and give myself 20" at various times in my office. I've found that this at least gives me a workout, and when I leave work in the afternoon, I don't have to worry about squeezing my workout in!

My question is, well, is this as effective as utilizing the pyramid technique, with limited rest between sets, or for that matter doing many sets of 20 push ups in a short period of time? Ultimately, I'm nearing numbers of close to 200 push ups a day using my technique of "sets when I can" throughout the day. I feel pretty pumped and strong, but was just wondering if its as effective as other methods?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

-Stu

Share |

Author

04-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Hey Stu,

You are following a fantastic training protocol that yields extraordinary results when properly integrated. Keep doing what you are doing but switch up the intensity from day to day. My first Push-Up book that I have written with Jack King will be released in the near future and I will make an announcement on this forum when I am satisfied that it is ready. You'll see that in concept you are right on the mark. our first book fills in the missing details.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Hey, thanks John for the fast response. It is working for me sir, and has made such an overall difference in my level of fitness.

And, with that said, think I'm going to do 20 more!

Share |

04-27-2011, 12:28 PM

I think, though I'm not sure, that what you are doing is a technique called "Greasing The Groove", or something along those lines. Doing multiple sets throughout the day, but not maxing out. I do it a lot with Pull ups and it's definitely a good way too train.

Last edited by John Peterson; 04-27-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Share |

04-27-2011, 02:17 PM

This is the exact protocol I've been doing now. As John says, mix up the reps/sets each day. For example, yesterday I did 20 sets of 20 and today I'm doing 5 sets of 40. I'm doing the same with squats. I know this is a protocol that John has recommended to get from 0 to 100 pushups in one set in a short period of time. The idea is every monday you check your max set and from there work each day on lower reps/sets and eventually you will be in the elite group of those that can do 100 PU in a single set. For me, the best part of this is that I cannot devote a chunk of time for a single workout, but because I work at a desk all day, I can find 2-3 minutes every hour or 1/2 hour to do a set. My only concern is with my aerobic capacity, this doesn't allow me to maintain my heartrate at a sufficient level for long enough.

Keep up the program and let us know how it is working out for you.

Jon

Share |

04-27-2011, 03:44 PM

As Jon Clay put it, the only downside is that this way of training doesn't necessarily get your heartrate up for the recommended 20-30 minutes. For that, try GUTS.

Share |

04-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Pushups can be a lifetime thing. I first came across them 60 years ago in the Charles Atlas Course. I have found that they have a "magnetic" appeal to them. Even though I have gone through perods where I didn't do them and experimented with other forms of exercise I kept coming back to them. They will go with you where-ever you go and you can do them anywhere. Vary the sets and reps to keep them interesting and calibrate them to the events going on in the rest of your life. I have always liked partials and sprint pushups because I don't do anything slow -it is just my personality. I am really looking forward to John's book with Jack King as I know it will contain some new ideas and approaches as will the Frank Rudolph Young book which is also in the works. I have always had this sense of adventure and always "Had to see what was on the other side of the mountain" and I still do at age 72. Currently I am doing 100 pushups a day [ two sets of 50, 4 or 5 days a week] I have always combined them with physiological exercises [ Isometrics, Isometric Power Flexing and DVR/VRT] which has proven itself to be to be the perfect workout for me. I know that pushups will always continue to go with me where-ever life leads me - where-ever that may be.

Last edited by Andy62; 04-28-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Share |

05-02-2011, 09:34 AM

Hey Guys!

I'm with Andy!
I've my job in gastronomy!
Lt of stress - but what keep me strong,
always energised, concentrated and good in form -
is my daily push-ups-routine!

I swear by them! Really, I do!
Sure, you maybe dosen't have that big biceps,
that all the pumpers have - but you are in a f***ing (Sorry John)
good shape. You've a fitness that don't have a tenth of others.

I think, that's what count. A fitness level even in older age
to care for your health and to show the younger one - what
it meants to be alway strong and very tough!

Share |

05-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Kevin,

I would love to know more about how your brother trained doing his pushups!

Share |