Share |
Up Against and Over It!

06-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Good morning, Fitness Friends!

In the two exercises I am going to discuss, the main obstacle you must face is your mind!

Both of these exercises are isometric in nature and dramatically build the body physically.
But, these two exercises also develop the inner athlete through determination and perseverance.

Since both of these exercises are isometric, there is little or no movement to distract the mind from both the exertion and pain the body is experiencing. This is why these are excellent exercises to "meet yourself in the mirror of your soul".

The first exercise is the wall squat (Up Against It).
Set a goal (e.g., 30 seconds), be determined to reach that goal and push through to reach it, persevere!
Try these three different variations:
Flat footed 30 sec
On toes 30 sec
On heels 30 sec

When you can achieve these goals with little effort, move on to 45 sec or 1 min.

The second exercise is the nose to mat bridge (Over It).
Start with the top of the head bridge for a 30 count. (Use your hands as braces if necessary.)
Come down. Rest. Then return to the bridge, but this time, push toward the forehead. Try to hold for a 30 count.
Continue this routine until you can touch your nose to mat for a 30 count.
DO NOT RUSH THIS PROGRESSION!
Enjoy the journey, celebrate each victory!

Today, for the first time I was able to achieve a nose to mat bridge on second attempt.
I am closing in on the day when I will be able to cross the bridge on first attempt!

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13

Share |

Author

06-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Hey Pastor Tim,

Excellent, excellent advice. The exercises that you are talking about here are a form of Isometric Contraction that Steve Justa has termed "Aerobic Isometrics". And needless to say, when performed as you have described they are real character builders as well superior body strengthening exercises. I especially like this type of exercise for building muscularity and protecting joints, tendons, and ligaments from trauma.

---John Peterson

Share |

Banned

06-24-2011, 12:44 PM

These are excellent exercises.Tim great accomplishment on your nose to matt bridge.I know you will get to 3 minutes in no time and when you do you will feel so relaxed.

michael

Share |

06-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Hello!

What would you say is more effectiv for functional strength and muscles in your opinion...
isotonic or isometric contraction? Push-ups (even partials) or maybe aerobic isometric push-up hold?

There is no right or wrong - it counts only your opinion.

Bye

Share |

06-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Reader,
Right now I am using both isometrics and power calisthenics to build functional full-body strength.
I am executing a demanding upper body workout on the pull-up bar (pull-ups, leg raises, leg circles) and working my lower body with the isometric exercises above.

In Transformetrics, athletes can and do benefit from all three of these modalities: isometrics, DSR/DVR and power calisthenics.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13

Share |