Share |
What would happen if you only did isos??

Legacy Member

06-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Hi everyone ive been thinking about this because it is hard for me to incorporate everything I want to do in one workout and some days I dont have the energy or want to make time for two workouts. So if I only ever did isos (since they are so time efficient) what kind of drawbacks would that have as far as strength and conditioning goes?

Jared

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Author

06-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Hey A1C Evans,

There are absolutely no drawbacks of any kind. NONE! You might notice a dramatic increase in strength in terms of how many more reps you can perform on certain Power Calisthenics by cutting back two days of each week and doing only Isometrics on those days but that's about it.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

06-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Hi John, thank you for the quick reply, well that doesnt sound bad at all! Hey I just lost to this guy arm wrestling today, will they make me stronger at arm wrestling?

My Training Log

Share |

Legacy Member

06-17-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1C Evans View Post
Hi everyone ive been thinking about this because it is hard for me to incorporate everything I want to do in one workout and some days I dont have the energy or want to make time for two workouts. So if I only ever did isos (since they are so time efficient) what kind of drawbacks would that have as far as strength and conditioning goes?

Jared
Presently, I am continuing to experiment with power flexing WITH INTENT—essentially agonist/antagonist based isometrics. It is a great approach to training. Although such exercise can easily be combined with other kinds of progressive resistance, it can be a “stand alone” program.

The various pulls and pushes may be performed for long or short durations. I have my Qi Gong students experimenting with different times—the times range anywhere from eight to 25 seconds. Pulls and pushes are always done in four positions.
When doing extended duration power flexing, we usually work at around 50% of maximum.
The general scheme is to do DVRs twice a week in a HIT format and to do the power flexing on all of the other days. I won’t go into all of the specifics in this post, but suffice to say that you have to be very careful not to over do it with the power flexing. It’s easy to over train.

However, I have one person doing only power flexing exercises. And she loves the routine. She is only interested in trimming her figure and gaining functional strength. So far, so good. The lady is getting stronger by the day. One day I will post her routine.

Share |

Banned

06-17-2009, 10:44 PM

if you want to get stronger in arm wrestling, you can do iso's to simulate arm wrestling in different positions with the isobelt so that you work out the muscles that are engaged in arm wrestling.

this don't just work for arm wrestling. you can simulate other sports movement as well. tailored iso's to your sports is good.

Share |

Banned

06-17-2009, 11:37 PM

I can see just Powerflexing working as a stand alone total workout, add the M7 and Powerflexing and it is a slam dunk, take Powerflexing, the M7 and Isometrics again a slam dunk. Use VRT, Powerflexing, M7 and Isometrics and you have one great program. Some will say well you didn't put enough minutes but it is quality over quantity.

Royce all that matters is it works!

Share |

06-18-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
However, I have one person doing only power flexing exercises. And she loves the routine. She is only interested in trimming her figure and gaining functional strength. So far, so good. The lady is getting stronger by the day. One day I will post her routine.
Hi Royce,
It sounds very relevant for the thread that Greg started about bodyweight and DVR programs for girlfriends/wives. I am also very curious to see what you have come up with for the sake of variety and new ideas. I hope you have some time in the near future to write it up and post it!

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Banned

06-18-2009, 05:44 AM

In my opinion isos should be treated like any other form of training.Muscles understand only Tension and Time Under Tension.So if you give isos enough TUT and perform them at many angles the results will be the same as any other form of training and of course you can use them as a “stand alone” program.

Share |

Legacy Member

06-18-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglis View Post
In my opinion isos should be treated like any other form of training.Muscles understand only Tension and Time Under Tension.So if you give isos enough TUT and perform them at many angles the results will be the same as any other form of training and of course you can use them as a “stand alone” program.
good point Douglis thank you.

My Training Log

Share |

06-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1C Evans View Post

Jared
Join the Transformers Challenge that Joe Justice got started and find out for real. Experiment with different durations and intensities and record your results and thoughts. Record your 1-set-max for various PC's before and after the two month experiment.

There's only one way to know for sure.

Mike

Share |